Questions for WMA prez candidates Rex Harvey and Stan PerkinsThursday night, I submitted a dozen questions to Rex Harvey and incumbent Stan Perkins, candidates for president of World Masters Athletics. I gave ‘em a deadline of Oct. 11 to complete the surveys, so I could post them the weekend ahead of Porto Alegre worlds. Usually, reporters don’t publicly share questions before responses. But what the hell. See my list below. One question I didn’t ask was about whether WMA should launch a seasonal list of top performances, such as the IAAF Top Lists. I doubt WMA could afford this, but why not have a self-service site the way mastersrankings.com is run? As noted on this Facebook page, athletes have a keen interest in world masters rankings. But as I commented, the lone statguy keeping such lists, Martin Gasselsberger of Europe, does it as a hobby, and is hamstrung by limited data. Should WMA allocate funds to keep seasonal lists?
Here are questions submitted to Rex and Stan:
1. Stan, what are your top accomplishments as president of World Masters Athletics? Rex, how do you rate Stanâ€™s tenure as president?
2. What are your top 3 goals as president of WMA starting after Porto Alegre?
3. Are you happy with the WMA website? If not, what else needs to be done?
4. The British Masters Athletics Federation wants the choice of World Best Masters of the Year taken away from the WMA Council and given to a panel of appointed statisticians. Do you support or oppose this idea? Why or why not?
5. Stan says in his GA report that heâ€™s resolved issues in the India and Mexico affiliates. What were the issues? Are you satisfied with the result?
6. World masters meets have conducted drug-testing since at least 1999. Does masters track have a serious problem with doping?
7. World masters meets drug-test a tiny fraction of entrants. Has this testing program been a success? How do you define success?
8. The IAAF Masters Committee is giving way to a new Masters Commission. What did the IAAF Masters Committee accomplish â€” besides $80,000 stipends to WMA?
9. Should the IAAF Masters Commission lobby for masters exhibition events at the Olympics and IAAF world championships? What kinds of masters events would you like to see in the Olympics and IAAF worlds?
10. Are you happy with the accuracy and ratification system of world masters track and field records? What changes would you make, if any?
11. WMAâ€™s finances have been under stress due to budget shortfalls, including failures of the Sacramento LOC to deliver on its promises. What would you do to make sure WMA is on firm financial footing?
12. Any other remarks youâ€™d like to make about yourself or your opponent?