masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sat May 16, 2015 12:47 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Took yesterday as a rest day except for some golf. Today I rode a solid 18.4 miles on the Bike and hit a PR for an opening segment of the ride. That effort into the wind was especially satisfying except I had to continue on to the nine mile mark before I got a little rest and fluids. Went all out and haven't felt that bad in a long time. Felt bad but still good.
Tempo on the ride was very strong and hit my weekly goal for miles on the Bike. Weight has been down to 221 the last couple of days and I hope that I can continue to lose steadily. Been happy with the last few days of training. Tomorrow I plan to start lifting again....slow to start and build back to where I was before injuries and heart scares....lol.

Top Top

Sun May 17, 2015 4:14 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Played golf this morning and hit the gym tonight for some strength training:

Bench Press 10x135, 2x15x150 30 seconds rest.
Lat Pulls 10x90, 2x15x105 30 seconds rest.
Leg Press 10x200, 3x15x225 30 seconds rest.
Leg Curls 2x15x40 30 seconds rest.
Bi Curls 2x10x25s 30 seconds rest.
Core ABs Machine 2x15xlevel 8 30 seconds rest.

Good work with short rest periods. Back to the Bike tomorrow morning for a group ride. Weight has been steady.

Top Top

Mon May 18, 2015 12:43 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Got in two rides today. This morning was a group ride and I did 14.2 miles. Hit a few PRs on course which was nice....they were wind aided. Going back into the wind was a different story....hard. This afternoon I went for an easy ride just to get some miles done. Went for 9.2 miles for a total of 23.4 miles. Most in a day so far. Legs, chest and back were a little sore this morning from yesterday's lift but I felt better after the rides. Legs are a bit heavy. Will try to lift Legs twice a week as I'm getting so much Biking done. Weight was up a couple of pounds this morning....don't know why as I have been pretty good about eating. Did drink a lot of water so that may be it.

Tomorrow will be a shorter ride and an evening lift. See if I can keep this going!

Top Top

Wed May 20, 2015 4:37 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Yesterday I did an easy 7 miles on the Bike in the morning. My legs were just dead. It was a struggle just to get the miles done. Took the rest of the day's rest.

Today I felt much better and did a solid 18.9 miles with 5-6 accelerations of about 2-2 1/2 minutes. Felt really strong. May need to add some rest to my workouts as some days I feel great and others just beat.....guess I'm not 20 anymore....lol.

Top Top

Thu May 21, 2015 5:12 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Today was a great day for training. Rode. Solid 10.2 miles on the Bike and hit a couple of PRs along the way. Did an additional 4-5 accelerations on the Bike for 90 seconds or so and hit some fast speeds that I was able to hold on to for the time period. Legs felt great and the overall tempo of the ride was as fast as I've ridden in a long time. Great day!!!

Tomorrow will be a rest day except for some morning golf........maybe I'll get to a lift if I feel good.

Top Top

Mon May 25, 2015 7:07 am

Master Masters Athlete

The last few days have been rest days.....partly planned and partly lazy. wanted to ride yesterday but life got in the way.

Today I went for a 6.9 mile ride on the Bike and felt terrible. legs were heavy and back was tight. Struggled to do what I did. Will stretch a bit and see if that helps and hope tomorrow is better.

Top Top

Wed May 27, 2015 6:26 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Yesterday was a pretty good dat. Rode 20.6 miles on the bike. Hit a few accelerations of 2-3 minutes holding the tempo at a good pace. Really good ride.

Today the legs were sore but still rode a solid 14.1 miles. Hope to hit my weekly goal of 50 miles tomorrow and still have a couple of days to go beyond that. Knees are still feeling pretty good.

Top Top

Fri May 29, 2015 2:57 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Took yesterday as a rest day. My right knee was a bit sore so I laid low for the day.

Today, I played golf in the morning and went to the gym this afternoon. Did the following:

Warm Up 10 reps on the Lat Pull @ 90, Bench Press @ 135, and Leg Press @200.

Then did a Circuit of Lat Pulls 5x120, Bench Press 8x165, Leg Press 12x225, and Weighted Crunches x 15. 5 Rounds with no rest. Finished in 10:15. HR was through the roof and I was in a full sweat. Felt good to work that hard. I like the HIIT workouts. My weight has been staying steady but my % body fat has been creeping up according to my scale. I have been riding miles on the Bike but not doing any lifting.......so back to the gym. Hopefully I can lose some fat along with the weight.....although I still like to eat....all that I shouldn't....lol.

Top Top

Sun May 31, 2015 4:26 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Yesterday, I got a solid 10.6 miles done on the Bike with several 1/2 mile accelerations. Was a strong ride.

Today, I played some morning golf and wanted to get a lift done, but my body was just too sore from Friday's lift and the ride yesterday. Took today as a rest day. Tomorrow will be a group ride of about 15 miles and maybe a lift at night.

Top Top

Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:00 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Legs were really sore this morning for the first half of the ride. Felt much better the second half. Rode a total of 13.1 miles. Legs got much better and tempo was better during the last part of the ride.

Tonight, I went to the gym and did Chest and Back:
Did Incline DB Press at 45s and Seated Cable Rows for 120. Did them none stop for set of 15, 12, 10, and 8. No rest between sets. Pretty intense. Did not put it on the clock, but got done in a hurry. Upper Body felt much better after the workout. Tomorrow is just a Bike ride depending on the weather. We are suppose to get a lot of rain. See if I can get a ride in between rain drops....lol.

Top Top

Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:25 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Rode and easy 8.9 miles on the Bike. Threw in a couple of pretty hard 1/2 mile accelerations. More of a recovery ride. Felt good afterwards. Got it done before some heavy rains....lol....Stayed dry! Tomorrow will be another group ride. Hoping to get 15+ done and then see how I feel.

Top Top

Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:31 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Rode a hard 14.3 miles on the Bike. Body was very tired and sore from the lifting. Will probably take a week or so to get back to normal riding and lifting. Hopefully an easy ride tomorrow....see how I feel.

Top Top

Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:50 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Today, I rode 15.9 miles in an hour. Felt strong and steady throughout the ride. Tonight, I went to the gym and did the following:

Bench Press and Lat Pulls were super sets with about 30 seconds rest.
Bench Press 20x135, 15x150, 10x165, 5x180
Lat Pulls 20x90, 15x105, 10x120, 5x135
BW Squats with 10# bar 3x10

The Bench and Lat Pulls got very hard during the last sets with very little rest. Lactic acid was huge. Legs were shot from the ride but wanted to get some extra work in so I opted for the BW Squats. Overall, a good day of training.

Tomorrow will be some early morning golf (7:15 tee time....ugh) and then an easy Bike ride for 10 miles or so....see how I feel.

Top Top

Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:03 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Yesterday was just golf. Pretty tired after that so I took the rest of the day as rest.

Today I wanted to get a ride in but thunder and lightning put that on hold. Went to the gym tonight and did a Crossfit type workout done. Warmed up with sets of 20 on the Bench at 135, Lat Pulls at 90, and Leg Press at 200. Then went Incline DB Press at 40s, seated Rows at 120, and Leg Press at 225 for 21, 15, 9 reps with no rest. Pretty intense. The workout took 7:10 to complete the circuit. HR very high and very heavy breathing. Good work in a very short time. Finished the workout with some Core ABs and then I was very done. Good workout.

Top Top

Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:00 pm

Master Masters Athlete

This morning I went for a very easy group ride of 12.1 miles. The guy who put together our little riding group has been having some health issues and the regular group rode with our friend on a very easy ride around his development. Hope he does well and can get back to riding with us soon. He's a competitor and will make it back I'm sure.

Top Top