masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:37 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Up until the last rep of my last workout of the week (today, Saturday) I would have said this week was a miserable failure. By way of review, I started trying out the "Peters workout" in late August after returning from Lahti. In about 5 weeks I went from a best 100 of 13.3 to 12.7, and dropped my 300 time from around 43 seconds to 41 seconds. I felt that I still had some good momentum going at that time for further improvement.

Then I was injured (not related to the training) and took a month to get back in training. I also started a very demanding job which has kept me traveling every week, so I've had trouble training consistently for the past month. I had almost gotten back to where I was before my injury by the end of last week.

This week I was home all week, but just didn't have the "pop" in my legs. My fastest 100s were all 13.0 or slower for my 3 track workouts - very discouraging! I was running 5 or 6 100s instead of 4, trying to get under 13.0, so I wasn't running the 300 rep at the end of the workout. Today I couldn't beat 13.0 in the 100, but decided to stop with 4 reps and run 300 anyway.

On the third leg of the 300 I felt myself tighten up and had to really push to finish fast, feeling very discouraged. But when I looked at my splits I was pleasantly surprised: 13.2, 13.3, 14.6 for 41.1. That's only a tenth off my very fastest of the year, and the fastest first 2 legs I've run thus far.

The other thing I've started doing on my "off" days is running 1 mile easy to warm up and then a mile at around 6:00, to keep some endurance in place.

I've been thinking about the mental aspect of the Peters method - which I haven't been able to learn about. I haven't been able to get an email address for Steve Peters to even ask him. From what I've observed in his training he can't have better endurance than his competitors - this method is solely about speed. Yet I hear he passes people in the last 100 with a supreme effort. Is it possible that his mental approach somehow triggers a boost of adrenaline at the end of a 400?

Top Top

Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:32 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

I'm afraid my experiment is going to end with a whimper. I've been traveling so much the past few weeks I've been able to do only one track workout a week, and next week I'm gone literally all week, so it's not going to get any better. My conclusion about the "Peters workout" is that it works. See my first post - at that time I was on a roll, my times were dropping quickly and I expected that to continue at least somewhat. Circumstances have intervened (injury, travel requirements), but I will definitely try this again when the opportunity presents itself.

Top Top

Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:15 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

[quote="divanthompson"]I'm afraid my experiment is going to end with a whimper. I've been traveling so much the past few weeks I've been able to do only one track workout a week, and next week I'm gone literally all week, so it's not going to get any better. My conclusion about the "Peters workout" is that it works. See my first post - at that time I was on a roll, my times were dropping quickly and I expected that to continue at least somewhat. Circumstances have intervened (injury, travel requirements), but I will definitely try this again when the opportunity presents itself.[/quote]

Not sure how one can arrive at the "conclusion" that it works based on 5 weeks of training.
I'll be 50 this year. I used a similar method (high intensity/low volume) for the past 3 seasons. I set PRs the first two seasons (12.48 - 100m) but never felt 100%. The third season I had chronic injuries to the point of not being able to jog around the block w/o injury. I went back to a traditional run program (similar to Bill Collins) and I've been injury free since August. My conclusion - there are "no shortcuts" to speed development. You have to maintain a foundation. And we still don't have the complete details about Peters training program.

Top Top