masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:38 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

A ‘veteran long jump weekend’ was held 12-13 December 2009 at the Huddinge, Stockholm indoor hall. It was arranged by Swedish M50 LJ record holder Anders Ohlsson (indoor 5.96m, outdoor 6.03m) and his club Huddinge AIS with guest speaker Swedish LJ record holder (8.21m) Mattias Sunneborn. We were some 14 masters long jumpers who went through an interesting program of LJ videos (Bob Beamon, Carl Lewis, Powell etc.), theory, warm-up, timed flying 30m, with video-filmed own long jumping and critique. It was an excellent initiative Thank you Anders and Mattias.

Mattias Sunneborn stressed the importance of quality sprint training (reminded me of Steven Peters). He pointed out that your body then has to be strong enough for it. That strength is achieved from lifting free weights Clean and Jerk style - also quality, heavy with few repetitions. However, for most athletes the potential gain from weight training is not transferred because the weight training becomes an isolated module not immediately associated with running and jumping. One particular tip from Mattias Sunneborn really made an impression on me. To really benefit from weights, Mattias advised hops, running movements, gymnastics etc immediately after and in-between weights routines. What are your views on this?

Top Top

Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:31 am

Master Masters Athlete

Interesting theory, but I'm not sure the science would support it. It sounds more like a recipe for injury than for producing gains in performance.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:16 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I do not know. It seems that in between the weight exercises some more specific drills are done, and of course specific drills have transfer to the real jumping. Maybe also without the weight training...!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:46 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

To clarify. What Swedish long jump record holder Mattias Sunneborn recommended to benefit from weights coincides with the article by Allyson Felix' former coach Barry Ross (advocating deadlifts) http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/269/: "1. Plyometrics at the end of each set, within 1 minute of set completion. 1. Usually depth jumps from varying heights but occasionally used stand triple jump or long jump, generally 6 jumps or less. The focus is on delivering maximum strength in minimum time." And I do not see much harm in that.

Top Top

Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:19 pm

Master Masters Athlete

we had a long thread on that when this new forum opened.

Doing a triple standing long jump after a big deadlift.

Works well for younger athletes.

Top Top