masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:06 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I have just discovered a new form of training, for me at least. It's called COMPLEX TRAINING. (a series of weight lifts, bounding and calisthenics as in a circuit) I personally had not heard fo this method of training. But, the advocates tell me that it is effective in bringing your conditioning level to the ultimate. I'd like to see if anyone happens to be using this particular method.

Top Top

Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:09 am

Master Masters Athlete

Circuit training is a good conditioning method. However, track athletes must consider the principle of specificity in their training programs (the body adapts specifically to exercise stress). Also, as we age we adapt more slowly than we did in college and some people adapt more quickly than others. Design a program that develops the right proportion of strength, power, and endurance. Skill is always the most important factor— even in sprinting and distance running. Nothing builds fitness for championships better than competitions.

Chico, CA 95929-0330
discusdoc@aol.com

Top Top

Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:12 pm

Master Masters Athlete

To mix things up and generally just have some challenging fun I recently (this season) do a particular 'Circuit" once or twice a month instead of just usual "throwing cardio".

Learned this from a friend/trainer:

Take a deck of 52 cards. Each suit is a body area e.g. Hearts=Legs, Diamonds=Chest, Spades=Back, Clubs=arms. Each numbered cared represents number of reps (face cards =10). Shuffle and turn a card over and do an exercise with about 30-50% usual lifting weight. Move from one lift to another with just enough rest to do the exercise well.

for example:
9 Hearts= 9 squats with 150 # then

3 Clubs= 3 hammer curls with 35 # then

Jack Spades= 10 DB rows with 35# then

4 Diamonds= 4 bench presses with 145 the etc., etc till the deck is done!

Goal is NOT to lift too much weight but just enough to encounter resistance and condition the body. Takes 20 to 45 minutes depending on your speed and fitness.

Don't know if it helps throwing but it is a different sort of workout that does get your heartrate up!

Top Top