masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:33 am

Senior Masters Athlete

I have just finished reading " Born To Run , " and I don't claim to have any answers , but I'm planning to try it at least once a week.
Does anyone have any feedback on the current line of minimalist shoes ?
My one experiment with " barefoot " running was yesterday - when I ran in a pair of socks , inside a flexible pair of rubber boots. There was about 3 inches of light snow on the ground , so there was a nice cushioned effect. My sense was that it forced me to land on the outside ball of my foot , pushing back , while maintaining a very upright posture. I didn't go very far - maybe a mile - and only stopped because it was my first time , and the foot muscles need to be built up. It seems like flexible racing flats would almost accomplish the same thing.
I'd love to go barefoot all year , but am not sure how practical that is. Any experiences that you've had , I'd love to hear. I think barefooting on a golf course sounds good.

Top Top

Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:39 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Last summer I began using Nike Free "Everday +2" for use on the track. They're somewhat minimal and have a lot of flexibility in the sole. I run on a practice track with a hard surface, otherwise I'd use the more minimal Frees. I make it a point to walk or jog barefoot on grass and track every time out.

Top Top

Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:29 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

I train in Nike Free 5.0's on a quality high school track - love them! They've helped to really change my foot strike - I never land on my heel - and suffer no ill-effects for it. In fact, today I put on my old New Balance running shoes for the first time in months and found that I no longer [feel like] I land on my heel in them. I also occasionally run sprint drills barefoot on the track or infield turf and frequently run my cool downs barefoot on the turf. The Nike Free's run pretty true to size if you're looking to buy.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri May 14, 2010 3:47 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I've been considering going "barefoot". Since I got back into running I've been doing great except for this pain I get on the ball of my right foot after about 4-5 miles of running. Also, my second and middle toe get this tingling sensation. I suspect it's either a metatarsal or bursitis problem. I've tried changing shoes and different terrains and the pain is still there. I plan to start doing some easy barefoot running on grass to build up my feet and see if barefoot running alleviates my foot pain. Lots of barefoot runners use the Vibram Five Fingers shoes. Vibram has a new model called the Vibram Bikila designed specifically for running.

http://www.fivefingerfootwear.com/model ... ila-review

Top Top

Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:48 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I like the Nike Free design better than the Five Fingers. I have a long second toe that tends to curve or roll over my third (middle) toe and I don't think the five fingers would compliment my foot as well as most feet. Perhaps if they made them custom for each person's unique foot print, that would be pretty interesting. Of course they would have to raise their prices significantly for customs.

Top Top

Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:40 am

Junior Masters Athlete

With barefoot running getting popular by the minute, more and more shoe brands and models are coming out. I personally think fivefingers are comfy but are only just intended for exercise and would seem weird to use to run for some errands. I recently read a comparison review of barefoot running shoes - fivefingers, nike free and newton running shoes that you guys might also wanna check out.

Top Top