masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:11 am

Master Masters Athlete

I am a sprinter slash jumper. I realize that there are not many of us out there. I am just curious what training everyone is doing. I have brought this topic up for just sprinters and had a great response. I would to here what the other master jumpers are doing.

Top Top

Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:25 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I don't have access to a long jump pit (especially in the winter), so I primarily train for sprints and only get to jump at meets. The long jump used to be my best event, but not so anymore. During the winter I try to get 2 or sometimes even 3 plyometric workouts of 45-60 minutes. I also lift concentrating on squats and dead lifts. My body doesn't respond to the actually jumping the way it did in college!!

Top Top

Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:50 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Yea I do plyo,weights and sprints. I do goto the pit once a week but if its to cold is all about the plyo. As I get older I find working on my flexability is the most important thing. Without that I can't reach out into the pit.

Top Top

Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:00 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

I, too, combine sprinting, hurdling and long jumping. I find that concentrating on the other events in training helps me avoid the injuries that occur with excessive LJ training. I train with weights in the off season, and develop some speed and strength on the track before working on any jumping. Working on the hurdles seems to provide the plyomentrics that I might need. Time on the LJ is limited....once again, because of potential for injury. I spend most of my LJ training on runway work and pop-ups(sometimes off of a box). Confindence in hitting the board consistently at competition speed is essential to my performance. Full speed jumping is limited to once or twice a week, if at all. Hope this helps.

Top Top

Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:49 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Thanks for the information. LJ training is hard on the body.

Top Top

Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:37 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Tell me about it. Try Triple Jump training! I must be insane...

Top Top

Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:17 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I gave that event up after blowing my heal to bits on the second phase.

Top Top

Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:03 am

Senior Masters Athlete

OOOUUUUCCCHH!! Not good to hear from a former Triple Jumper. I'll give it a go this year and see how the body holds up. Have a former '68 Olympic Triple Jumper helping me out with technique and form. Going to work on the Long Jump as well. Hope that you've healed from your "heel" injury.

Top Top

Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:59 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Yep it took two years to get right again. But life is ok now. YOu can have that event!

Top Top

Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:41 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Good to see that there are still a few of us out there.

My work schedule doesn't allow me as much time as I would like, so I try to emphasize quality over quantity.

I usually only hit the track twice a week, once on Thursday, where I just focus on sprinting, 100s, 200s and 300s sometimes. Sometimes I try to do 400s, but usually when I hit that 300 line I think up some excuse to stop. This day is mostly done to try to help keep my weight down. On the weekend either Saturday or Sunday I go to the track and I concentrate on explosive stuff. Run throughs, short sprints, plyos and pop-ups. Sometimes I will end the workout just by running a 200 all out.

I have been emphasizing weight training recently, trying to work back up to my strength levels back in college in Squats, and deadlifts. Because I don't have a lot of time, I work heavier and try to make the workouts more intense.

It's the end of summer now, so I will probably start working on more jumping starting in October, first with pop-ups. Then in November I jump all out once every two weeks and then December and coming closer to the track season I go every weekend. I would jump more, but I feel like each time I do, it takes a good deal out of me, and I may risk injury if I do it more.

Keep training!

Top Top

Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:09 pm

I also do some long jumping and was wondering of any indoor or home type drills that anyone does?, as well as other type of drills that do not use a pit.. I find it very difficult to get access to a pit (especially in the colder weather) and to practice and experiment, etc during a meet can be a challenge.

Top Top

Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:27 am

I am privileged to have three indoor long jump pits comfortably within one hour by public transport from my home. Yet I still find specific training for long jump difficult. At the pit, the only training that makes sense for me is full effort at my full long jump run up.

In the absence of a pit, train your speed and perhaps do short bounds (say three in succession) on one leg and then on the other. Otherwise it's general plyometrics and flexibility exercises. Dream of jumping far. Good luck.

Top Top