masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Tue May 18, 2010 1:25 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Hi Everyone!

A little bit about me. I threw the discus back in high school but it was very brief.....never won or placed, just threw for fun. My throwing coach told me I had potentials but never took it seriously. Almost 30 years later and watching my son throwing the weights in the last couple of years in high school (shot - PR at 45 ft, discus - PR at 147 ft).... I got hooked on it and started throwing the discus on my own about 5 months ago. I'm a former athlete now at 47 in excellent shape, want to get serious on competing again and start training.....I'm looking for a coach and/or club in my area (Martinez, CA). Right now I've been throwing the 1.61kg in the 120's and recently threw the 2kg just over 100ft. Any info, ideas & advices on starting up my new sport will be greatly appreciated!! Thank You!

Top Top
  Profile YIM

Tue May 25, 2010 9:43 am

Master Masters Athlete

I would advise researching meets in your area through the remainder of the year (see the Masterstrack "Meets" link), select the ones you want to go to, and then enter them. Once there, chat up the other throwers about any other sources for meet information, or other throwers who may live near you and who might want to train together with you.

Unless you have a personal throws coach, I would recommend using a camcorder with a tripod to video some of your typical throws during your practice sessions. If you are a student of technique you will see any flaws you have, or if you choose to arrange for some on-line coaching the first thing they arre going to ask is can they see a video. The best way to share video is by posting to YouTube or an equivalent service. You could also post the link to your video on this board and ask throws for any advice they might have.

Monitor www.effortlessthrow.org frequently. While I can't promise you pearls of throwing wisdom will be there every day, it's almost a sure deal that there will be some there on any given week.

Watch videos of the greats, the elites, both past and present. I recommend Macs Throws Videos (there is a link to it on effortlessthrow.org) and by searching Youtube by the name of the thrower you want to see. Learn all you can about technique so you can be your own coach.

Use the weight room to stay strong, and practice your technique often.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon May 31, 2010 8:19 am

Master Masters Athlete

Your story is almost identical to mine! My best advice to you is what came to me from Discusdoc, Viking and the good friends I've met at our Masters throwers group locally:
-Train seriously year round as best you can-it helps with injury avoidance
-"Leave one in the tank" that is, when you train don't go crazy and over do it. It's all about injury avoidance at 47
-Get hooked up with a good group of throwers locally and have fun, share stories and training tips. The best help you can get comes from other long-time top-notch throwers. In my neck of the woods-Tim Edwards, Dave Bickel, John Ryer, Tim Muller, Dave Cantwell, Mark Landa and others have been unbelievable help to me and other new throwers. I am sure the same exists in your area-seek them out.
-Throw often. Thats what its all about. Enter as many meets as is reasonable. Thats the fun part! Who really cares if you suck or not?
-Don't bother with the expensive stuff (supplements, discuses, gear). It won't help you any more than the basics-good diet good workouts and lots of throwing with cheap training discuses. Maybe buy 1-2 quality mid-level discuses off Ebay or from another thrower. A $360 2kg discus is riduculous IMO.

Welcome!

S. Wright
47, Discus

Top Top