masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Tue May 18, 2010 3:10 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Discus throwers :
Is throwing 5 or 10 pound plates a good idea to gain strength for the discus . Will this help in gaining distance ?
Or is just plain old weight lifting the key.
I am trying to learn this event at age 60 .
Any info . would be great...................................thanks
:D

Top Top

Tue May 18, 2010 11:06 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Sport-specific weight training, in this case with a heavy disc, has its merits. I am not sure you build any real strength with it though. I find using the 3kg discus most useful in helping me slow down the movement and work on hitting positions. Wouldn't use it too much though. My 2cents.

I'd also be interested in what experienced throwers think about this training technique!

Top Top

Wed May 19, 2010 10:08 am

Master Masters Athlete

If you want to improve a skill, the best thing to do is to practice that skill. Throwing an overweight discus is a different skill than is throwing a 1kg discus, so I would tell you to avoid throwing plates. Don't try to combine strength training and skill development into one activity.

If you want to develop strength, the best way is through resistance (weight) training. There is a lot of literature on the proper way to do this, some of it conflicting, and some of it incorrect. The good news is that if you are relatively out of shape, even a poorly designed lifitng program will help you. A common rookie mistake is to under-estimate the importance of leg strength in the throwing events, so make that a key component of your program. Next, is the lower back and twisting muscles in the torso. And finally the arms. A good discus-specific arm strength excercise is to do straight-armed dumbell flies while lying on your back on a bench.

And finally, I think many people will tell you that with the 1kg discus quickness becomes a bigger factor, and great amounts of strength are less important. Good technique will help in this area, but so will shedding any extra body fat you might be lugging around.

Good luck to you...I started at 50.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed May 19, 2010 12:07 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Every male who turns 60 wants to throw the discus or long jump.

Best thing, shop the internet for cheap 1ks and get 3-4. Then learn to throw the 1k. It is more a speed event, than strength event.

Top Top

Wed May 19, 2010 6:56 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

[quote="rev gj"]Every male who turns 60 wants to throw the discus or long jump.

Wannabe men maybe, but REAL men want to throw the Javelin!!

Top Top