masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:29 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Looking for a 128mm 5k Shot Put. Threw one over the weekend and really like the larger size - more to push against. Can't find one via the internet. If you have one to sell or know where I can find one let me know.

Top Top

Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:46 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Try ontrackandfield.com They have a 5k, 128 mm steel shot. Item S308

Top Top

Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:07 am

Master Masters Athlete

You should all be aware that while men's shots up to 130 mm are ok for competition in the US in all age groups, they are not ok in international meets. WMA has maximum diameters for each shot-- for the 5kg it's 120mm. We'd like to see that change internationally, but it will take some doing.

Jerry Bookin-Weiner

Top Top

Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:20 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Craig,

I have one. Contact me at csr_jr@yahoo.com if you are interested.

Charlie Roll

Top Top

Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:34 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Thanks to all that replied. I found one based on the first post.

Top Top

Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:18 am

Master Masters Athlete

An official at the Woody Wilson relays at UC Davis told me that this is the last year that the 128 mm 5kg shot will be allowed in the USA. Next year the maximum will be 120 mm. I am not sure if this information is accurate.

Top Top

Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:13 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Tom

I don't know where the official got that information. It would take a change in the Rules of Competition, where there is a clear Masters exception on this issue. For the Rules to change it would have to go through and be approved by the Masters Committee and there is no inclination that I know of to do that. Quite the contrary, there is a strong inclination to move to make changes at the international level both for the shot and for the relatively new .75kg discus for women over 75. We want the specs on the shot to allow up to the largest diameter permitted for the 16# shot to apply to all masters mens' shots and the largest 4kg shot to apply to all women's shots; similarly we want to allow the same dimensions for the .75kg discus as for the 1kg discus. A motion to move that forward at the international level has already passed the committee two years ago. The rationale for the change is that the specs for the 6kg, 5kg, 4kg, 3kg and 2kg shots were established with younger throwers in mind (they are widely used in the rest of the world in youth and junior competitions); same for the .75kg discus, which was designed for bantams. Their hands are smaller and masters throwers hands aren't.

What the official may have been saying was that it would not be possible to use the larger diameter shots at the WMA Championships in Sacramento next year, and that is true. Any change at the international level would only be approved at the Assembly that meets at that meet (assuming we can gather enough support to get it adopted).

Top Top