masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:13 am

Master Masters Athlete

I've just got hold of a copy of a pair of Vibram Five Fingers KSO shoes.

Here's an ad for the shoes, for anyone who hasn't seen these. I have no connection with the seller, BTW: http://bit.ly/9f68n6

My sports therapist raves about these, and has used a pair for nearly a year. I was eventually intrigued enough to buy a pair, because the prices in the UK seemed to have dropped lately (probably the only product for which this is true right now).

These are a seriously wierd sensation. It took me about half an hour to get them on properly, and to begin with, I thought my 55 year old sprinters feet were too far gone to enable me to get a toe into each part of the shoe. However, perseverance and the prospect of the effort of having to send them back for a refund meant I got there in the end. Brilliant comfort walking about the house. I've not yet ventured farther afield in them, though.

Second wearing, it took less time to get them on, but still a long time. There is clearly a trick to this, which I expect I will learn gradually. They are worn with no socks, of course, though I gather "five finger" socks are available somewhere.

To begin with, I tensioned the shoes, using the velcro, much like the rock-climbing slippers I used to use when training on a climbing wall or local boulders. This made the heel feel wrong, though, so I loosened them a bit and they are fine.

I'd be interested to hear the experience of anyone who has used these things running, training or in the gym? They seem good to me. What do others think?

It's good to be able to compare notes like this, isn't it?

England

Top Top

Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:00 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I couldn't open the link but checked out the web site for the shoes. They're definitely strange-looking. Does the material between each toe bother you? I could see a hybrid of these shoes and regular athletic shoes where the front of the sole is grooved longways to allow your toes to roll and grip. I guess the eventual evolution of this idea would be to have spray on shoes that you just spray on your soles and the tops to create a rubberized layer for protection and slight shock absorption.

Top Top

Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:15 am

Master Masters Athlete

Road runners are wearing them here in the US. Personally I have not worn them - tried on a pair - looked at the price tag and laughed. Here it is part of the barefoot running fad. From what I have read - one must be very careful to break in your feet or you could suffer an injury. That being said - I have two runner acquaintances who got them, happily ran miles in them, and then suffered injuries sufficient to knock them out of running for weeks.
If you have access to a nice grass playing field - run barefoot on that - much less expensive than the shoes, or run barefool on a track - but be careful about how much you do until your feet and legs become use to an entirely different stress on them.

Top Top

Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:22 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Just checked my link. It works for me. The things are also available from places like Amazon, if you want to see the range.

Around the house, I am finding them blissfully comfortable. I simply don't notice the material between my toes, Vega, yet I've never worn anything like this before.

It would be good to hear from those who have used these shoes, which was my aim, rather than from those who have not. I'm trying to gather views and compare experiences. I know the comment was well meant, but telling me I ought to be running barefoot isn't really helpful right now - I've bought the things, and I'll bet I'm not the only one. :D

England

Top Top

Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:54 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Right Tom: I have several friends who wear them around the house and love them - but I have no first hand experience. OTOH- there is some good literature out there - try google - about how to break in your feet/legs to wearing them while training - start off with short sessions - lots of folks in the US love them, some do not - it is a very personal thing. But ...easy does it - since you are a sprinter I am sure you will not rush off to race a 10k in the, - that is good. I have 5 toe socks - and cannot get use to them - so obviously I am not one to try the shoes.

Top Top

Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:01 am

Master Masters Athlete

A follow-up to amuse and inform skeptics and fans alike.

My shoes split on the second wearing. Same day, someone told me that there were fake "Five Fingers" shoes on the market, and that Vibram do everything they can to prevent the real stuff being sold on eBay etc.

Their site (http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/counte ... a_fake.cfm) not only shows shoes identical to mine (top right), but pairs identical to others on sale on eBay from the guy I purchased from. Draw your own conclusions.

Anyway, faced with this evidence, he at least has had the decency to promise a full refund.

Durability of the fakes apart, if the real things are anywhere near as cosy as the counterfeits, I am really looking forward to buying a genuine pair real soon.

England

Top Top

Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:50 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Tom,
I purchased the Vibram five fingers KSO model this week. My toes are very close together, so it took about four tries before I was able to get all 10 toes into the toe pockets. I would think that the classic model would have worked better for me because it would have been easier to get my fingers in the shoe for aligning my toes. I have just worn them around my hotel room and they feel OK. I intend on wearing them during my next workout and let you know how they do.

Thad Wilson
M59

Top Top

Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:31 am

Master Masters Athlete

How'd it go, Thad?

I got my real pair of KSOs today, after the incident with the fakes. They are much better made, though I have to admit the fakes were just as comfortable, while they lasted.

Like you,years of wearing ordinary shoes means my toes are pretty close together. Putting the KSOs on takes practice, but my experience has been that you get better at it every time. Vibram suggest you spend a few minutes walking around barefoot, to let the foot relax some, before putting the shoes on.

I went for a size above the recommendation from Vibram, because I want to wear them at times with my Injinji five toed socks. These are the perfect complement to the KSOs, though I am wearing them in barefoot. If all goes well, I too will think about a pair of Classics, for the gym, etc.

England

Top Top

Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:26 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Tom,
I tried to run with them on a treadmill and had some serious ankle/foot pain. I've been having this pain off and on so I don't know if it is the Vibran shoe or just old age. I'm going to restrict my wearing of them to only around the house until after the US national meet. (I'm having enough issues without having to break in a new style of shoe.) I'm getting better at putting them on though; it took me about 4 minutes per shoe tonight.

Thad

Top Top