masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:35 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

I AM 63 AND LAST THREW THE JAVELIN IN COMPETITION WHEN I WAS 21. I AM TRYING TO TRAIN AND COMPETE THIS COMING YEAR. OTHER THAN OLD AND WEAKER I AM ABOUT THE SAME WEIGHT, 6'3",220 LBS ( OK, 15 LBS OVER,,LOL ) I HAVE SEVERAL ISSUES FROM A REPLACED HIP AND KNEE, AN AUTO AIMMUNE ISSUE CALLED PSEUDOGOUT. I HAD TO LEARN TO WALK AGAIN AND WAS USING A WALKER AND THEN A CANE ALMOST 2 YRS AGO. I AM AWAY FROM ALL THAT AND GETTING STONGER. I JOG VERY LITTLE,,,I STILL HEAR THE DR SAYING " NO RUNNING". MY ARM SPEED IS VERY SLOW NOW. I WOULD LIKE SUGGESTIONS AS TO HOW I CAN BUILD ARM SPEED AND STRENGTH. I GET TIRED EASILY WHEN I THROW NOW. I WILL ADMIT I DO NOT DO ANY RUN UPS,,I AM A LITTLE AFRAID. I GOT THESE REPLACEMENTS IN THE LAST 3 YRS. I WAS BED RIDDEN FOR SEVERAL MONTHS WITH THE PSEUDOGOUT. LOST A LOT OF STRENGTH ,,I AM THE TYPE THAT MEETS CHALLANGES AND GOES AFTER IT. BY THE WAY I CAN TAKE A CROW HOP AND THROW JUST OVER 30 YRS RIGHT NOW. LAST TRACK SEASON I COULD NOT DO THAT. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED,,,,,THANKS,,,

Top Top

Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:44 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

I hope that you got yourself a javee. It will really help you stretch and strengthen. And remind you to PULL.

You should use weighted balls -- but also rubberized softballs -- for arm speed, given the time you went without throwing and the medical issues.

The guys at the top of the charts are pounding away with sledge hammers, but you have to start back somewhere much lighter.

Top Top

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:02 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I am starting the javelin from scratch and am 64 (or going on 18 according to her). My knee is getting worse and the doc said whenever I've had enough of the pain it will be time for tkr.
Seeing the shape you are in now, I would recommend you start swimming to gain some strength, mobility and stamina. Wouldn't throw until you can jog a few 100m w/o gasping. Look at the wealth of info on the internet and start lifting dumbbells with lots of reps. All of this will get you ready to start training with the javelin. Then comes lots of stretching and jav specific exercises. And all during this time, practice mental toughness. It could become the factor of you getting in shape and continuing to train or stop you when it gets to be too much.
Good luck to both of us and hope to see you in the world masters next year!!

Top Top