masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:04 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I am limited to the amount of days I am able to train for the 100-400m sprint. Plus, I am trying to incorporate some rest time. If I have 3 days a week doing start work on one, longer intervals on another and plyo training on the third, which day could I add in the weights? Also, should there be at least an hour or so of rest between the sprint work and the weight work? Any thoughts?

Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:53 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Lots of ways to look at it. If you are going to lift on one of those three days, I would lift more along the maximal strength lines and do that on your start days or a short, fast running day. If you are going to lift two or three days, then have your lifting mimic the type of workout you just did, i.e. high reps, lower weight with short rest on long interval days, low reps, high weight with as much rest as needed on short speed days. As far as the amount of time between your workout and the lifting - that is up to you. I usually go right after, otherwise I will find an excuse to not lift.

Top Top

Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:08 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Hey Louie,
I gave it a try today. I went to the track and did 200m intervals @ 70-75% with 2 min rest. When I got home I did a lower body workout. I did one-leg balance lunges with one leg on the bench with dumbbells, one-leg step ups on the bench with dumbbells, one-leg deadlift with kettle, and then one-leg toe raises with dumbbell. I did 2 x 10 of each exercise (each leg) with minimal rest. It felt pretty good.

Does that sound like what you were talking about?

Thanks,
Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:00 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Tony,
Looks good!! It's something I picked up this winter (in regards to coaching high school kids - having the lifting correspond with the workout that was just done). I don't have a lot of statical data to back it up, it just seems to make sense. I hope you get good results from it. Good luck and don't be afraid to update.
- BLL

Top Top