masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:11 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Hi Gang,

Looking for some advice. Right now I'm doing sprint training one day and following it up the next day with weight training. The third day I'm pretty sore and stiff and rest. One thing I'm afraid of is possibly over doing it with that routine 2 days in a row. I'm 58 years old. Should I wait a day between workouts or is what I'm doing seem reasonable. I usually need 3 days rest to feel 100 percent ready to compete.

Top Top

Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:46 pm

Master Masters Athlete

It all depends on the intensity level of the weight training and sprinting, relative to your genetic ability for recovery. I can envision sessions of either of them that would be so intense that by themselves, either could require 2 days of recovery even for someone half your age.

You might want to consider a rest day after lifting and a rest day after sprinting, and focusing on technique on the other days. Injury prevention is much better than injury management.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:59 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Thanks for the advice. I agree, I'm going to start a light workout the day after I do my more intense lifting and sprinting days. I've been training for about 10 months now after a 40 year layoff so I still have long way to go. I have made great progress to date, looking forward to this summer to start competing.

Top Top