masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:48 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

I started throwing the javelin for fun and hope to throw in a couple events this outdoor season. 54 years old and have a 700g javelin. Besides the normal thing that you would expect i.e., it doesn't go that far, doesn't always go straight and doesn't always stick in the ground, my question is about the runup for the throw. I certainly understand the idea and need to do a spirited run-up, cross over and throw, however I was wondering what is wrong with a few hops and side steps like I would making a throw from the outfield and letting fly. I'm not a bad athlete and coordinated enough but it seems like I do get gooned up doing 6 or 8 or 10 steps and then the cross-overs. I never have seen a Masters javelin competition before and I was wondering if everyone has the run-up routine down or is what I'm talking about somewhat normal. I'm thinking about consistency and I don't seem to be getting it but may have more luck with skipping the big momentum builder and just letting fly. Thanks -- kind of a stupid question I know.

Pat

Top Top

Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:52 pm

Master Masters Athlete

There are many kinds of run up that are just as good, as long as you can handle the speed. I started learning the javelin at age 55 and went from 22 to 35 meters as a W55. My run up exists of 6 simple steps, 6 steps with the spear back and then the the last 'soft' step (that is a hard block with left and a soft downward action of right). It went better when I started to count the steps in my head. The first six are normal running, the second with a lowered c.g. Etcetera etcetera, this most likely is not an answer but I like the javelin, heigh! Do you know the javelin discussion forum? You maybe can make a video and ask them for help, they are very willing to help. http://disc.yourwebapps.com/Indices/109718.html

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:13 am

Junior Masters Athlete

OK thanks Weia -- I'll give your technique a try.

Pat

Top Top