masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sun May 01, 2011 6:21 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Hello,

I am a 33 year old couch potato! In high school I ran the 400 and 800 but for the last 15 years I have not done much of anything when it comes to running. I really want to get fit and compete again. I have no idea where to start and I am open to any advice. Help!!

Thanks!

Top Top

Tue May 10, 2011 1:46 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

I might start with your weight. If you were truly a couch potato, do you have a few pounds (or more) to lose? If so I would concentrate on that and general fitness first before getting into serious 400/800 training.

Beyond that, I'm really more of a longer distance guy. I've really only coached one good 400/800 guy. I trained him more like a 1500m runner, building his endurance so he could sustain his natural speed over 400m and 800m. I worked him up to some medium length runs of 5-6 miles, while doing strides (10x100m fast but comfortable) a couple times a week so he wouldn't lose all his speed. Heading into the competitive season, I had him doing much longer intervals than normal for a 400/800 runner, things like 10x400, 6x800, plus some faster stuff like 8x200.

The result was quite good, but recognize that this mix of training is pretty unusual for a long sprinter. Most would do very low volume, high intensity sprints with long recovery periods, and quite a bit of work in the weight room. Still, if you pick that approach I would recommend some easy mileage first for a few months during the transition from couch potato. You probably have the most to gain from aerobic work in the short term.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun May 22, 2011 5:55 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

As the previous poster mentioned it is probably best to start off with some aerobic work in the form of long runs to lose any excess weight and focus on improving your core strength (abs and back ) and flexibility (static and dynamic). Don't forget though that the 400 meters is a sprint. A good workout i've found to prepare you for 400 meters is to do 10 x 100 meters at 400 meter pace with 1 minutes rest between reps. You could even do this at a soccerfield, sprinting the length and slowly walking the full width. I am in pretty much the same situation as you except a few years older and an ex smoker. Good luck with your training!

Top Top
  Profile WWW