masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:19 am

Senior Masters Athlete

After jumping 5'4" at a masters meet at the beginning of the month with no practice - and I mean literally 3 total attempts in the last 10 years... I figured with a little practice I'd be up around 5'8".

After finally getting access to a pit and a couple days practice - 5'4" was still relatively easy and I barely made 5'6" after half a dozen attempts.

Now I'm at the "I have no idea" stage. I'm sure everything about my jumping is way off, but as someone who was basically self taught and hasn't jumped in years... I really don't know what.

I was a consistent 6' jumper in high school, with a PB of 6'4".

Suggestions? Find a coach? (anyone know of any in SE Michigan?) Video review (highjumpcoach.com, highjumphigher.com)? Video review on this/other forums?

Any suggestions on camera placement (I'll only have access to a single camera) for video analysis?

Thanks everyone.

Top Top

Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:26 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I am not really in Michigan, but when you cannot find someone nearby send me your video via wetransfer.com I live, jump and coach in the real Holland, not the michigan region.
All kinds of camera placement give a lot of info, I mostly do it from say 20 degrees away from the bar, looking into the face of the jumper at take-off, show the last three steps and the jump. Also nice, especially for the not so experienced jumpers, is along the first part of the run-up, looking to the back of te jumper.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:42 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

weia wrote:
I am not really in Michigan, but when you cannot find someone nearby send me your video via wetransfer.com I live, jump and coach in the real Holland, not the michigan region.

Thanks!

My "family" originally came over from the Netherlands in the 1870's - Borgman's from the Eenrum, Groningen area.

Top Top

Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:30 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Nice to hear. Borgman indeed is a name typical for Groningen and around, the northeast of the country: http://www.meertens.knaw.nl/nfb/detail_ ... rtweergave
As you see there are nearly one thousand Borgman's now. I have been in Eenrum once I think, during a long distance walk.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:06 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Heh... I think there are more than 1000 Borgmans in my hometown :lol:

Weia - I sent you some files on wetransfer, and I also posted them on youtube for everyone to enjoy/laugh at :D

Me jumping at 5' (1.52m)
http://www.youtube.com/user/aborgman#p/u/1/2ZetJnpZ0JM

5'4" (1.63m)
http://www.youtube.com/user/aborgman#p/u/0/7LAvgEGupwI

On the second to last jump in the 5'4" clip I pulled a hamstring... so it'll be a bit before I'm jumping again. :(

Top Top