masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:51 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Greetings,
I will be in the Jacksonville, FL area for about 15 days continuous in June & July this year. I am looking for a Masters friendly training facility (one without guard dogs or fences I have to jump) that I can use while I’m there. A facility that has accessibility to hurdles would be nice, but a basic 400-meter all weather track will do. Thanks in advance.

Thad
M59

Top Top

Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:27 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I can't help you but your post made me want to comment on this issue. I live in Palm Beach County Florida where there is not one track open to the public.

Top Top

Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:54 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

Thad,

I hope you find a track. I know what it's like dealing with fences and such. Good luck in your search.

mikedrake,

I know your pain. I could understand if every facility was always used to capacity, but 99.9999% of the time tracks are just empty. Sad, sad.

Top Top

Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:26 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

Try to run down Mike Brown the WR M55 Jav chucker, he coaches at the U of N Florida in Jax...maybe he can help. Their track might be open.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:23 am

Master Masters Athlete

Just noticed this post but wanted to comment. I'm in Florida fairly often and have found it very difficult to find a track. I talked to the AD at the local high school where I go and he said that anyone on the school grounds (which includes the track) during "school hours" had to be fingerprinted and registered with the state.

Not sure if it's true. I had used the track a few times early but recently got thrown off rather rudely in the afternoon (I figured school was out so it was not school hours) and no one else was on the track. Very frustrating.

The only place in Florida I've found to train is the track at Clermont. If it's not too far for you.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:39 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I spend several months each year in Florida and have found it to be almost impossible to get on a track...unless of course i hop a fence or two which i frequently do! In contrast, i have never had a problem finding open tracks while in Europe.

Top Top

Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:57 pm

Master Masters Athlete

So cross out Florida for the place to live after retirement! I need my track fix.

Here in Maine I've never had any problem getting on a track and sometimes if I work out at lunch time I've had the gym coach apologize for the class getting in my way. HA HA!

I try to be respectful of others on the track and there's always walkers, joggers, sprinters, runners, baby-carriage-pushers etc. It's much safer than the road.

oh well.

Top Top
  Profile WWW