masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Mon May 14, 2012 12:03 am

Master Masters Athlete

Yet another setback. Last Sunday (5/6) I did a nice and easy 5 miler around the Santa Clara University campus. When I took off my shoes the outside back part of my left foot felt tender. I went home and showered and after I got out of the shower the tenderness because quite painful. I could barely walk. The next day (Monday) the left foot was quite sore. So I spent the last week weight training and some spinning. I plan to run tomorrow to test out the foot. If there is more of that acute pain I think it's time for an x-ray. Not sure why I have this pain. I have NEVER had pain in this part of my foot before. The day before the 5 miler I did a solid 8 miler and felt zero discomfort in the left foot. Very strange. My goal of running the Portland Track Festival master's men mile is out for sure. :(

Top Top

Sat May 19, 2012 6:17 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Looking forward to tomorrow's 60/200 double at the Portland Masters Track Club mini-meet at Clackamas Community College. It would be nice to hit some fast times AND come out healthy.

Top Top

Sat May 19, 2012 10:14 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Wish I could be there tomorrow at the mini meet, but I am running the Portland RNR 1/2 marathon tomorrow. Then I switch gears and focus on track. It has been a long 8 months of base building.

Old Man PR's (40 - 49 --- 800 - 2:05 / 1500 - 4:28 ) (50 - 54 --- 800 - 2:18 / 5000 - 18:23 / 10K 38:45 / 1/2 Marathon 1:29 / Marathon 3:23)

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun May 20, 2012 4:19 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Well, it was a rainy track meet but not too bad. I didn't really hit fast times but came out healthy enough to have hope for the next meet.

Portland Track Festival 100/200 is next.

Top Top

Sun May 20, 2012 7:56 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I hesitate to post this video but oh, well. I was pretty happy with my start in both the 60 and 200 but I need more speed endurance or less Budweiser. I had pulled my hammy about 2 months ago and it really hasn't felt 100% yet. It was okay today so that gives me hope for the summer.

http://youtu.be/_LTzaThaWDY

1. Steve Sanders (46)
2. Luis (Lucho) Huarcaya (53)
3. Naim Hasan (54)
4. Fidel Banuelos (45)

Top Top

Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:39 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Glad you are racing again after your ham pull Fidel. I pulled my right hammy 10 days ago and think my season might be a bust. Hope to be able to race again late summer.

Top Top

Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:57 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Ha! Guess what? I pulled my other hammy on Sunday. No Ptld Track Festival for me now. The odd thing is that I was just doing 3/4 warm-up strides and it popped. Not sure how I could have prevented it. I thought I was fully stretched and warmed up!

I'm looking at July now to be able to race. Maybe go back to 5k's.

Top Top

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:19 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Fidel, Thanks for posting the video.
Today doing frog jumps I got a pinch in my hamstring , I iced but pain still there, I hope I will be able to run in Portland Track festival.

Lucho

Top Top

Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:39 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Lucho,

Sorry you had to scratch from the Portland Track Festival. Hope to see you at the State Games or Hayward Classic. PMTC on 6/23 might be too soon for me.

Here's the Portland Track Festival Masters videos:

http://www.runnerspace.com/eprofile.php ... er_id=2123

Top Top

Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:29 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Hi Fidel,

I will test my hamstring next week, now just doing some jogging.
For the PMTC event I will be in Eugene watching the Olympic Trials. ( Bringing the whole family there.)
I registered for Hayward Classic and will do soon for the state games.

See you at the track.

Top Top

Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:26 pm

Master Masters Athlete

It's been a while since I last posted a progress report. I go sidelined with a new foot injury in early May. I had to take some time off. I started to training regularly again in mid July. My training has been going well. I have my long run up to 10 miles again. I plan to do a 5K time trial next week some time. I'll post a the results.

Top Top

Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:14 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Tomorrow I'm running the Silicon Valley Turkey Trot 10K. Last year I ran 44:20 at age 43. Lets see if I can beat that time? My training has been going well. I've added some solid weight training as well including dead lifts and other leg exercises. I hope this gives me a little extra power. :)

Top Top

Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Master Masters Athlete

So I ran 44:51 but I was happy with my run. For some reason the start line was moved about 200 meters from last year. I did not know this. So with the race about to start in one minute I finally realized they start line was moved. So I ran to the start line just as they started the first wave. I was so bummed. I wanted to go with the first wave so I can pace off of somebody. So I had to go with the second wave (8-9 minute pace). I was concerned that I would get caught in no mans land running by myself. Sure enough after just a 1/4 mile it was just me and 3-4 other guys. Ran the first mile about 6:50 and I felt great. The weather was much sunnier than last year, though it was a bit cold. But at about 1.3 miles I started to run into the back end of the first wave, mostly joggers and parents pushing baby strollers. I spent the rest of the race weaving in and around slower runners. At one point I almost stopped completely as some guy was dragging this huge 7-8 ft diameter balloon. All this weaving through the race and slowing down probably cost me 30-40 seconds at least. But I had fun and I felt good. I may try another 10K soon to test my fitness again.

Top Top

Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:41 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I've set a goal to be specific about my training. The goal for 2013 is to race 100/200's so all my training will be geared for those events. In the past, I'd train to run some 5k's and road miles and I'm pretty sure it hurt my explosiveness and technique.

I was looking over my early to mid-90's training log and noticed everything was either starts, flying 60's and 200's. Therefore, I was hitting some pretty fast times (for me) back then.

I've been doing sprint specific training for the past month and it just reinforces the idea that sprinting and distance running are really 2 different sports. Sprinting brings on the risk of pullled muscles and I realize I need back off on every workout. Good thing it's November and not April.

Top Top

Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:49 am

Master Masters Athlete

Ok, so I registered for this Saturday's MileFit Challenge in Santa Cruz, CA. I ran a 5:58.6 mile this past Februrary. I think I can beat that time easily right now. We shall see!

Top Top