The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:14 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Foam roller
Tempo Day Warmup

Acceleration phase work
6x30m (90 sec rest)

Legs are still feeling sluggish on the post weightlifting day. Hoping this will improve as my body adapts to the new workout and I get stronger. Definitely feeling like the bearpowered protocol will yield good results.

Happy Training!

Masters (M40) personal bests
TJ - 11.97m
LJ - 5.36m
HJ - 1.50m
60m - 7.97s
60m H - 10.98s
200m - 26.70s

Top Top

Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:10 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Foam roller
Tempo Day Warm-up

Plyo Session:
2 reps @30sec for each exercise w/30sec rest b/t reps and 1 minute rest b/t exercises.

Line Hops
Buttkick Jumps
180s
Rocket Jumps
Speed Skaters
Wideouts
Squat Freeze Jumps

Felt good to get a dedicated plyo session in today. Still not getting that explosive feeling in my legs but felt a little stronger than in previous plyo sessions. It will be interesting to see what impact today's work has on my Deadlift session tomorrow. This training "thing" has been a very humbling experience to date.

Happy Training!

Top Top

Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:24 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Foam roller warm-up

Weightlifting Session (Bearpowered):

Over and Unders-
1 set of 4

Elevated Pushups-
3x10 (1 minute rest)

Deadlift/Plyo 34" box combo set
4x3 @ 265lbs
4x6 box jumps
(5 minute rest b/t sets)

Last workout of 2011.....it was a good session. Can't wait for the 2012 Indoor/Outdoor season - so I can see the results of all this work. I feel a U.S. leading M40 TJ sometime in my future.

Happy Training!

Top Top

Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:54 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Foam roller
Tempo Day Warmup

Acceleration phase work:
Block starts
5x10m (30 sec rest)
5x20m (60 sec rest)

First workout of 2012.....like the direction I'm headed in.

Happy Training!

Top Top

Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:24 am

Master Masters Athlete

Well, the post holiday "day of reckoning" is here.....stepped on the scale this morning and checked-in at 178lbs. Not a bad showing for the Holiday gauntlent of food and drink. Very happy with the results - this really sets me up for hitting my goal of 172 by Indoor Nationals. I will be hitting a plyo workout this evening - will post details later.

Happy Training!

Top Top

Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:02 am

Master Masters Athlete

Last night's plyo session:
Foam roller
Tempo Day Warm-up

Plyo Session:
2 sets@12 reps or 30sec for each exercise
w/30sec rest b/t sets and 1 minute rest b/t exercises

Line Hops
Buttkick Jumps
180s
Rocket Jumps
Speed Skaters
Wideouts
Squat Freeze Jumps

This A.M.s weightlifting session:

Foam roller warm-up

Over and Unders-
1 set of 4

Elevated Pushups-
3x10 (1 minute rest)

Deadlift/Plyo 34" box combo set
2x3 @ 250lbs
1x3 @ 260lbs
1x3 @ 265lbs
4x6 box jumps
(5 minute rest b/t sets)

Ab 45's
5x5 @ 7 sec

Oblique 45's
5x5 @ 7sec

Starting to feel some hardening in the legs.....this thing might pay off after all.

Happy Training

Top Top

Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:29 am

Master Masters Athlete

Foam Roller

Tempo Day Warm Up:
400m Skip
Hamstring stretch
Lying Figure Four
Skip - cross arms/clap back
Knee to Chest Quad stretch
Acceleration 30m @ 70%
C Skip x 20m
Bi-directional Carioca x 30m
A skip
Acceleration 30m @ 75%

Easy Strides
6x35m

A nice warm-up and easy stride day to get the muscles loose and ready for competition day tomorrow up in Boulder. I felt pretty good overall.....a little residual soreness from my plyo day and a little ache/strain at top of my foot from pushing a little to hard during my ankle flexibility/stretch movements.

I will be competing in the 60m, 200m, and LJ this meet - goals are as follows:
60m - break 8s
200m - break 26s
LJ - break 18ft

I will let y'all know how it all went on Sunday

Happy Training!

Top Top

Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:11 am

Master Masters Athlete

Here are my results from this weekend's meet:
60m - 8.06s (goal break 8s)
200m - 27.28s (goal break 26s)
LJ - 5.06m (goal break 5.50m)

As you can see I was unable to reach any of my goal marks. Despite this fact, I am definitely pleased with my progress to date. I scratched a couple of efforts in the LJ that would have challeged the 5.50m goal. Can't wait for the Spring so I can lock down my approach. Feel like I am getting stronger for sure......no way I could have pulled off these 3 events 1 month ago. Taking a couple of days off for recovery and will work Tue, Wed, Thur this week and compete on Friday (Air Force Academy all comers). Have not settled on which events yet.....contemplating taking my first TJ since August. Will monitor how I feel this week and it will either be (60m, LJ) or (60m, TJ).

Hey, on a positive note - I get to update my signature again with my new 60m PR

Happy Training!

TJ - 11.97m
LJ - 5.36m
HJ - 1.50m
60m - 7.97s
60m H - 10.98s
200m - 26.70s

Top Top

Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:39 am

Master Masters Athlete

Foam roller warm-up

Over and Unders-
1 set of 4

Elevated Pushups-
3x10 (1 minute rest)

Deadlift/Plyo 36" box combo set
4x3 @ 255lbs
4x6 box jumps
(5 minute rest b/t sets)

Felt uninspired today......getting up at 5A is a bear.

Top Top

Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:39 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Foam roller
Tempo Day Warmup

Acceleration phase work:
rolling starts
6x30m (3 min rest)

Really concentrated on sprint technique during this session. Had a friend video my sprint/jumps at the last meet and noticed numerous form deficiencies in both events. It's amazing how you can "think" you are doing something correctly until you view on film and think "What is that!!!!!?????" - Very glad to have that "in your face" feedback, gave me exactly the information I needed. Now, if anyone has any suggestions on how to correct "too much backside mechanics" in the sprints - I am all ears. LOL! Look like I was running the 800m instead of sprinting the 60m. Anyway, so now the re-tooling/re-training effort is underway.

BTW, I am now debating participating in the LJ, TJ, and 60m on Friday. Final decision will be made tonight.

Happy Training!

Top Top

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:59 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Well in keeping with the "humbling" comeback theme.....here are the results from tonight's meet:
LJ - 5.02m
TJ - 11.55m
60m - 8.03s

Overall a disappointing night for me. I just never got myself into the meet. I was flat the entire night. For some reason, I was having some difficulty with the top of my feet the entire night - I believe this was a result of some ill-fitting shoes that I wore a couple of times this week. Really hampered my ability to warmup properly and really attack tonight's events. On a positive note, I improved my PRs in the 60m and TJ respectively. I indeed had higher hopes for TJ going into the meet but will take this as another learning experience to put under the belt. It is painfully obvious that I am still not in "jump" condition as I was unable to fully handle the landing/bounding forces properly in the TJ - I am beginning to realize that my goal jumping over 40ft may not be realized until the end of the Outdoor season if I'm lucky or more realistically might take another year. And I won't even bore you with the disaster that was the LJ (let's just say there might as well not have been a board on the runway because I ignored completely). Did I already say I can't wait for the Spring. This is gonna be one hell of a journey.

Happy Training!

TJ - 11.97m
LJ - 5.36m
HJ - 1.50m
60m - 7.97s
60m H - 10.98s
200m - 26.70s

Top Top

Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:37 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Ace - if you were flat all night, then nearly 38' ain't bad. Hitting 40' should be attainable. I firmly believe in racing yourself into shape. Just look at your 60 times, they seem to be dropping each meet. Keep at it. Not sure if this applies to you, but last summer I completely reworked my long jump approach. Having long jumped all my life, I was convinced my approach distance was the same, even though I knew I was significantly slower. I ran my approach on the track 6 times and consistantly hit the same mark within 3 inches - but it turns out it was 4 feet shorter than the mark I had been using (and jumping poorly with) for the last two years. At Berea, I jumped better than I had jumped in 3 years and was getting better each round.
Regardless, keep on keepin on!!

Top Top

Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:42 am

Master Masters Athlete

BLL,
Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement. I will definitely keep at it - perhaps a little smarter as I go forward. My foot strain/bruise turned out to be more significant than I originally thought, so I took the extended weekend off to let it heal. I will jump back in the gym tomorrow to attack the weights again, but may take another day or two before I hit any serious sprinting again. Just want to make sure that I get to Indy as healthy as possible.

I will definitely be adjusting my approach alot in this early season as well - getting a little faster each week which messes up my marks. I will just need to be patient throughout the early season. Hope your training continues to progress as planned and Stay Healthy.

AceBond

Top Top

Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:09 am

Master Masters Athlete

Foam roller warm-up

Over and Unders-
1 set of 4

Elevated Pushups-
3x10 (1 minute rest)

Deadlift/Plyo 30" box combo set
4x3 @ 255lbs
(5 minute rest b/t sets)

Ab 45's
5x5 @ 10 sec

Oblique 45's
5x5 @ 10sec

My foot strain suffered at the last meet was more serious than first anticipated. I took an entire week off to let the healing process take place w/o interruption. It looks like it will be another 7-10 days before I can sprint again. I will be hitting the weights in the meantime. At some point I will learn to listen to my body while I'm in competition and not let the competitive juices get the better part of me. I guess it's all part of the learning process, but I simply should know better. This process is know where near as easy as I thought it was going to be. Frustrated.

Happy Training!

Top Top

Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:59 am

Master Masters Athlete

Yesterday's workout:

Foam roller warm-up

Over and Unders-
1 set of 4

Weightlifting Session (Bearpowered): determining 1 rep max

1x1 @ 295lbs
1x1 @ 315lbs
1x1 @ 365lbs (failed)
1x1 @ 345lbs (failed)
1x1 @ 335
(5 minute rest b/t sets)

Fun session today. Look forward to adjusting future w/o sessions based on 1RM info.
(270lbs for 80%)
(285lbs for 85%)
(300lbs for 90%)

Happy Training!

Top Top