masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:03 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I have decided to keep an online training journal as motivation to stay on task as I make my way back to respectability.

History:
At the beginning of 2012 - I made a New Year's resolution to lose a "little bit" of weight as I found myself at 200 lbs after a wonderful Holiday period of good food, good drink, and good company. I began lifting and quickly found myself bored after about 8 weeks of training and just stopped going all together. In an effort to "get in shape" for an upcoming beach trip, I started lifting again in May - this time implementing the principles of the "Fat Burning Furnace" and Hypertrophy-Specific Training (HST) training. This plan reinvigorated my conviction as it allowed me to complete quality workouts in less than 1 hour. When I began this new effort I was at 197 lbs, after 8 weeks on the program I was down to 190 lbs without paying attention to diet and minimal cardio work (2-3 mile run/ 1-2x/wk). After week 10, I was down to 188 lbs and felt pretty strong and satisfied with my progress. I had considered getting involved in Masters Track several times in the past, but just never pulled the trigger. After hanging out on the web and reading some info on the Rocky Mountain Games, I decided what the heck - I will give it a go for real this time. With that in mind, I decided to add a some interval work to my routine (i.e. run hard for 30s, walk 60s, run 45s, walk 90s, etc) and begin to "watch" my diet (LOL). By week 12, I was down to 186 lbs and decided it was time to really pay attention to my diet and make an attempt at some sprint work on the track. Well lo and behold, the first week felt pretty good. In the second week, I was down to 183lbs and thought I was ready to take on the world....but then reality struck - I pulled my hamstring. Well at this point my training came to a halt and my bid to compete at the RMG should have come to a halt as well. But of course I was stubborn and decided I would just go to the meet and "observe". well once I got there, I decided "what the hell" I will give it go. BAD DECISION - I took 3 ineffective jumps in the LJ and followed that up with 2 less than stellar jumps in the TJ. Why only 2 jumps in the TJ? You guessed it....my injured hamstring did not engage in the final phase of my last jump and I strained my calf (2nd degree).

The moral of the story is no matter how "in shape" you feel.....PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO COMPETE IN A MASTERS EVENT W/O PUTTING IN THE PROPER TIME AND IMPLEMENTING THE PROPER TRAINING REGIMEN TO COMPETE.

I have been unable to do any sprint or jump work since the RMG. On top of that, I am still in Physical Therapy to help me recover from my injury. I've finally got the all clear
to begin light training and this time I plan on doing it the right way. So let's begin my journey.

Masters (M40) personal bests
TJ - 11.97m
LJ - 5.36m
HJ - 1.50m
60m - 7.97s
60m H - 10.98s
200m - 26.70s

Top Top

Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:51 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Training Journal Day 1:
Weight - 178 1bs

Static stretching: ALL* - 2 sets @ 30 sec hold
Hamstring
Calf
Achilles Tendon

*Note - will repeat at bedtime

Weight Training Cycle A: (isolated leg exercises modified due to injury recovery)

Upright Seated Leg Press
1x6 @ 320 lbs (L)
1x10 @ 320 lbs (L)
1x10 @ 180 lbs (R)
1x10 @ 270 lbs (R)

Stiff-Leg Deadlift
1x10 @ 225 lbs

Standing Leg Curl
1x10 @ 60 lbs (L)
1x10 @ 35 lbs(R)

Incline Bench
1x10 @ 175 lbs
1x10 @ 155 lbs

Row Machine
1x10 @ 190 lbs

Straight Arm Pulldown
1x10 @ 75 lbs

Barbell Bicep Curl
1x10 @ 75 lbs

Calf Raise
Skipped

Torso Rotation
1x10 @ 150 lbs

Accelerated Raised-Heel Squat
2 sets of 10

Core Training:

Plank
2 sets @ 30 sec hold

Side Plank
2 sets (R) @ 30 sec hold
2 sets (L) @ 30 sec hold

Bridge w/stab ball
2 sets @ 30 sec hold

Bridge
2 sets @ 30 sec hold

Superman
2 sets @ 30 sec hold

PT Advised Training:
Eccentric Quad w/resistance band
2X10 bi-directional

TJ - 11.97m
LJ - 5.36m
HJ - 1.50m
60m - 7.97s
60m H - 10.98s
200m - 26.70s

Top Top

Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:15 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Training Journal Day 2:

Static stretching: ALL - 2 sets @ 30 sec hold
Hamstring
Calf
Achilles Tendon
Quad

Active Rest Day:

2.8 mile walk (45 minutes)

Feeling pretty good overall. A little soreness in the quadriceps as a result of yesterday's weight training - as expected with the increased intensity post injury.

Top Top

Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:50 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Training Journal Day 3:

Hamstring
Calf
Achilles Tendon
Quad

General Conditioning Circuit (Total Body):
All exercises @ 2 sets by 30sec or 10 reps minimum

Squat Jumps
Burpees
Skipping
Kettle Bell Squat and Swings
Tuck Jumps
Squat Thrusts
Treadmills
High Knees
Fast Feet on Box
Jumping Jacks
Alternating Split Squats
Ricochets

Core Training:
All exercises @ 2 sets by 30sec

Side lying hip abduction
Oblique crunch
Straight leg raise
Lying windscreen wipers

Proprioception Airplane
2X10 (L)
2x10 (R)

Last edited by acebond on Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:08 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Training Journal Day 4:

Static stretching*: ALL - 2 sets @ 30 sec hold
Hamstring
Calf
Achilles Tendon
Quads

Weight Training Cycle B:

Machine Squat
1x10 @ 450 lbs

Leg Extension
1x10 @ 140 lbs

Deadlift
1x10 @ 225 lbs

Cable x-over
1x10 @ 70 lbs (form was a little unstable - 2nd set completed at lower weight)
1x10 @ 60 lbs

Overhand Pullups
2x10 @ Body Weight

Overhead Shoulder Press
1x10 @ 110 lbs

Dips
2x10 @ Body Weight

Calf Press
Skipped

Leg Raise
2x12

Static Core Training:

Plank
2 sets @ 30 sec hold

Side Plank
2 sets (R) @ 30 sec hold
2 sets (L) @ 30 sec hold

Bridge w/stab ball
2 sets @ 30 sec hold

Bridge
2 sets @ 30 sec hold

Superman
2 sets @ 30 sec hold

PT Advised Training:
Eccentric Quad w/resistance band
2X10 bi-directional

It was one of those days when I had to force myself to put in the work. Felt sluggish at the beginning of the session, but engaged a little more once I got going. The core work was especially challenging tonight - body felt fatigued. Looking forward to complete rest day tomorrow.

Top Top

Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:18 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Hi Ace,

Your workout looks like it covers the bases pretty well. I'm not familiar with LJ/TJ training per se; I'm focused on HJ.

My workout is focused on max. strength gains for the present (Sept.-Oct.) but every day there is core training, 2x stretching sessions, various lunges, jump-rope, etc. Each week I write up a new training plan and run it by my coach who offers suggestions here and there. Mostly, I tweak my plan on a daily basis depending on how the body is responding. The weekly plan is an ideal and I usually come pretty close to meeting it by the end of the week. Then, on the weekends I rest a lot and continue with with 2xday stretching.

Smart and plentiful nutrition seems to be crucial for me to recover each day. Rest between sets is also important for me to keep going. After a summer of injuries I've set myself one rule: NO MORE INJURIES! Listen to the body, don't over do it, and play smart.

Keep up the good effort; results will come in time. :)

Top Top

Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:22 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Great job Ace. Keep up the good work and thanks for the posts. I am getting some ideas from you. I do have a few questions. What is the Proprioception Airplane and the ricochets?

Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:47 pm

Master Masters Athlete

TonyB,
Thanks for checking in. The Proprioception Airplane is a core/hip strengthening exercise that my physical therapist suggested. You execute the movement by balancing on a single leg (i.e. left leg) and reaching forward with the corresponding arm (left arm) and reaching back with the opposite arm (right arm) , allowing your upper body to pivot at the hip, and come back to upright position. Perform 2 sets of 10 and then repeat on the other side. This exercise can be executed with a bent or straight standing leg. Here is link for youtube video that shows the basic movement in the first 20 seconds.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydKHjBIgxOc

It's the closest video I can find - not the best form.....the "Airplane" portion of the my exercise includes the arm movement that I have described above and I do not execute my hip pivot to that full degree.

Here is an explanation of the "Ricochet"
Stand with your feet together and arms by your sides. Keeping your feet together jump forward (about a foot), jump back to the starting position, then jump to your left, back to the start, then right, back to start, and then behind you. The objective is to repeat the sequence and stay in continuous motion (for specified amount of time i.e. 30 sec) while keeping ground contact time minimal and feet together.

Happy Training.

TJ - 11.97m
LJ - 5.36m
HJ - 1.50m
60m - 7.97s
60m H - 10.98s
200m - 26.70s

Top Top

Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:35 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Training Journal Day 5/6:

A blissful day of rest on Day 5. If we could only improve our skill through osmosis......

Back to work on Day 6

A very sluggish session today. It will be interesting to actually be "aware" of the changes my muscle structure will undergo - as I work to regain my explosive strength. Right now it feels like I have ZERO fast twitch muscles. The use it or lose it concept is for real.

Hopefully I get good news from my physical therapist.....will be glad to start some tempo run work.

Happy Training!

Top Top

Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:23 am

Master Masters Athlete

JavierS-not wrote:
Hi Ace,

Your workout looks like it covers the bases pretty well. I'm not familiar with LJ/TJ training per se; I'm focused on HJ.

My workout is focused on max. strength gains for the present (Sept.-Oct.) but every day there is core training, 2x stretching sessions, various lunges, jump-rope, etc. Each week I write up a new training plan and run it by my coach who offers suggestions here and there. Mostly, I tweak my plan on a daily basis depending on how the body is responding. The weekly plan is an ideal and I usually come pretty close to meeting it by the end of the week. Then, on the weekends I rest a lot and continue with with 2xday stretching.

Smart and plentiful nutrition seems to be crucial for me to recover each day. Rest between sets is also important for me to keep going. After a summer of injuries I've set myself one rule: NO MORE INJURIES! Listen to the body, don't over do it, and play smart.

Keep up the good effort; results will come in time. :)

Thanks JavierS-not,
Definitely making sure that I follow your mantra of "listen to your body" and "no injuries". My overall weekly plan is to put in work 5 out 7 days in the week - but never being afraid to adjust as my body demands it. As soon as I get the "all clear" for sprint work, I will begin my acceleration phase work and some introductory plyometrics (probably mid-October). We got our first snowfall of the season today - so I am already dreading the limited track time that will follow. It sounds like you are putting in some really good work - keep it up. Are you planning on competing in Indy?

TJ - 11.97m
LJ - 5.36m
HJ - 1.50m
60m - 7.97s
60m H - 10.98s
200m - 26.70s

Top Top

Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:13 am

Master Masters Athlete

Training Journal Day 7 (Friday, 10/7)

Weight Training Cycle A: (isolated leg exercises modified due to injury recovery)

Upright Seated Leg Press
1x10 @ 290 lbs (L)
1x10 @ 270 lbs (R)

Stiff-Leg Deadlift
1x10 @ 230 lbs

Standing Leg Curl
1x10 @ 65 lbs (L)
1x10 @ 50 lbs(R)

Incline Bench
1x10 @ 165 lbs

Row Machine
1x10 @ 190 lbs

Straight Arm Pulldown
1x10 @ 75 lbs

Barbell Bicep Curl
1x10 @ 75 lbs

Calf Raise
Skipped

Torso Rotation
1x10 @ 150 lbs

As I mentioned earlier, this is my first week of 5 out of 7 days training and I really felt myself going through the motions in this session. I did not feel especially strong at all. I was surprised that I was generally able to lift my target weights w/o much of a struggle. I just felt like my muscle "explosiveness" was not there like it was when I was in the gym only 2 to 3 days a week.

Took another wonderful rest day on Saturday.....will be back at it today with a general conditioning session before heading out to the Broncos v. Chargers game.

Happy Training!

Top Top

Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:02 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Training Journal Day 8:

PT Advised Training:
Eccentric Quad
w/resistance band 2X10 bi-directional

Static Core Training (2 sets @ 30 sec hold for each exercise)

What difference a day of rest makes. I felt really good throughout the session - strong in the jumping exercises and outstanding control and strength during the core work. If the weather holds out, I will hit the track tomorrow to begin some acceleration phase work. Looking forward to begin the crucial work of getting my speed back.

Happy Training!

BTW - the Broncos lost but Tebow provided great excitement at the end. It will be interesting to see what he does over the next 11 games.

TJ - 11.97m
LJ - 5.36m
HJ - 1.50m
60m - 7.97s
60m H - 10.98s
200m - 26.70s

Top Top

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:25 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Training Journal Day 8:

Static stretching (AM/PM): ALL - 2 sets @ 30 sec hold
Hamstring
Calf
Achilles Tendon
Quads

Dynamic stretching:
Easy strides - 2x100m
High Skips - 2x50m
Side Straddle - 2x50m
Butt-kicks - 2x30m
Toy Soldier - 2x50m
Leg Lifts - 2x10

Acceleration Phase Training:
5x10m (1 minute recovery)
5x20m (1:30 minute recovery)
5x30m (2 minute recovery)

Felt great to get on the track today. Very pleased with the progress of my injury recovery. Both my hamstring and calf felt great. I was able to sprint without any issues. It will be interesting to see how I feel in the morning.....a little sore I presume.
Happy Training!

Top Top

Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:57 pm

Master Masters Athlete

wow, acebond, your training thread is way more detailed than mine. :) Great job by the way.

Top Top

Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:47 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Runner wrote:
wow, acebond, your training thread is way more detailed than mine. :) Great job by the way.

Thanks Runner. I'm hoping that this thread will keep me motivated to stay on task with my training. It's easy to let the training slip once old man winter gets here. Please visit every once awhile to keep me honest. I will check in on your thread as well. Will you be making the trip to Indy?

Top Top