masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:44 am

Master Masters Athlete

....in my opinion...this exercise: Weight jumps.
I can't do cleans, snatch, jerks or deep squats any more because of my back and knees ( and shoulders ) but I can do these. And I have found there is a direct correlation, at least for me, between this lift and my throwing:

This is me on Thursday doing 400lbs for 10 reps:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Roald62?feature=mhee
FYI: In May I did 350lbs x 10 reps 5 days before I threw 245ft 2"

I believe that this exercise would be good for all throwers and jumpers especially the more mature of us.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:21 am

Master Masters Athlete

How much air are you getting? I would love to see your feet in the video. Do you always do sets of 10, or cycle the sets/reps? Thanks for the video post - it is always entertaining / educational when you post.

Top Top

Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:57 pm

Master Masters Athlete

bowleggedlouie wrote:
How much air are you getting? I would love to see your feet in the video. Do you always do sets of 10, or cycle the sets/reps? Thanks for the video post - it is always entertaining / educational when you post.

Less than an inch! But the amount of height is irrelevant when going this heavy. The concept is if I leave the ground, even if it is just by a tiny amount, I have fully engaged the fast twitch fibers in my lower body.
The most important factor to address when doing this exercsie is control. I do sets of 10 because I can get heavy weight and volume at the same time. If I can do 10 reps with a weight I feel confident enough that my body will not get of position and expose me to injury.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:59 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Thanks RB!! I don't know if you coach or work with younger athletes at all, but if so, have you ever used this exercise with them? I am going to try this out on myself for a little while to see if I can do it. Thanks again.

Top Top

Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:23 pm

Master Masters Athlete

bowleggedlouie wrote:
Thanks RB!! I don't know if you coach or work with younger athletes at all, but if so, have you ever used this exercise with them? I am going to try this out on myself for a little while to see if I can do it. Thanks again.

Yes I have. With younger athlete however I recommend they go a little deeper, not so much weight and focus more getting height.

Top Top
  Profile WWW