masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:28 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

Hello All:
I just wanted to share a great training experience with other Masters T and F guys and gals.
For the past few years, my attempt to make a masters debut has been a tragic comedy of hamstring injuries. Two PRP Therapy guided injections and a heap of PT later and that seems to be all fixed up. My only recent performance was 3 years ago with no sprint training and a hamstring tendon injury. In that event I ran a 27.0 for 200m under perfect condition. Not stellar but with no sprint or strength training not too embarrassing either. I seem to have the injuries behind me now and have been able to strength train and run pretty well with only minor 54 y.o. aches and pains.
I started running during the Fall and would do a mile warm up then 4 x 400m on a treadmill at 12mph or 4 x 200m at 16 mph. The treadmill runs are probably pretty good for general fitness but even at 16 mph, but they are not fast enough to switch to full sprint form; just fast endurance style running. About a month ago I started doing 30m flying start sprints in a hallway that runs between two buildings at my work (over 100m long!) and have slowly gained some semblance of sprinting form. Those 30m sprints and the treadmill runs are all I've done since putting the last of the injuries behind me.
Last night I found out about a meet next Friday at the Olympic Oval in Kearns (Salt Lake City). Its a unique indoor track because it goes around the outside of the speed skating track and is a whopping 450m. Here http://akwasi-frimpong.com/2012/03/03/the-2012-goldensprint-challenge-invitational/ is the link to the meet announcement. How can I pass up a chance for a meet with just 60 and 200m events? So I signed up with the idea that the 200m race would be my first long run of the year.
Then today the weather was just stunning (for this time of year in Salt Lake): 47 degrees and sunny with no wind. All the snow had melted off the East High track (same high school where the shoot the High School Musical movies). So out I went for a 1/2 mile warm up, followed by 4 x 100m "build ups" and then 3 x all out 150s. No new injuries! Plus, Man oh Man did it feel good! Hard but good. By the time I got home, my brain felt rinsed out and sleepy. Legs felt sort of shocked but good afterward too. Now I can't wait for Friday! I don't have any illusions of grandeur but can't wait to give it a go but I certainly hope to make substantial improvement on the 27.0. Never done a 60m in my life so whatever I do it will be a PB.
Anyway, I just wanted to share the joy of good hard workout.
Cheers,
Jim

Top Top

Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:19 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Well done Jimbo. Yes, it IS a good feeling.

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Wed May 16, 2012 11:56 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Mario Games for free! And hundreds of other online free flash games . .You will need the Macromedia Flash Player to play this game. Additional Information: A pretty cool poker game.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mario adventure | Poker in Flash

Top Top