masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:20 am

Master Masters Athlete

Had a good day today. Rode my 5.1 miles Time Trial course in 18:06. Previous best was 18:02. Rode in the same gear until the end. Learning the tempo thing and getting better. Could have gotten my PR, but again thought it was a different time and thought that I was under that time....oh well. Finished with a 2.7 mile cooldown. Went to the gym and did Machine Deadlifts. 10x240, 260, 280, and 300. Knee felt a bit strange, so that was it for the day. Overall a good day.

Top Top

Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:38 pm

Master Masters Athlete

It's great when family come and visit, but it screws up training and eating....not to say drinking also.
Went to Key West for a couple of days. Did walk about 3 1/2 to 4 miles on Tuesday, but that was it.

Today's workout is as follows. Went to the gym and did a Chest workout 1st.
Bench 20x135, 15x150, 12x165, 10x180, 8x195, 6x210, 4x225, 4x240, 2x255
Incline DB Flys 3x8x20s
Incline DB Press 3x12x40s
Tri Press Downs 3x12x75
When I was done this part of the WO, my upper body was jacked. Took about a half hour rest and then got on the Bike. Wanted to get a solid ride in, but my arms were shot. Just leaning on the handle bars was a chore. Guess I found out that you need upper body strength to ride effectively. Also during my break I drank an EAS shake. That was regurging during the Bike ride. Not a good ride, but got some cardio. Rode about 5.2 miles easy in 21:03. See how I feel tomorrow.

Top Top

Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:13 pm

Master Masters Athlete

What's up with all those reps on the bench press? How about a more civilized and traditional workout of 3x8?

Top Top

Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:45 pm

Master Masters Athlete

That is similar to the old pyramid method. Very successful when trying to go heavy and build bulk.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:44 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Fidel, I use alot of reps for a warmup to loosen up the chest and shoulders. Before, when I lifted , fairly cold, my shoulders would ache. Rotator cuff type stuff. I found out by starting light and doing alot of warmup reps, my shoulders wouldn't bother me so much....lately not at all. I stretch also. It's also why I do alot of leg reps with lighter weight and not much rest. Keeps my knees from hurting. I know with less rest, I can still build strength and get a little cardio out of it to boot. I also know that if I go heavy to start I may get heavier loads, but also risk injury. Trying to stay healthy at 65 (66 on the 20th). So far it has been working for me. Probably should go a little heavier on the legs....we'll see.

Tony, You are right about pyramiding, I've been trying to build strength for some time. It may also be holding my weight loss back....doing the increasing weight and all the reps. So far, I'm happy where I am right now. Still trying to lose the weight and get back into shape to compete. It's a journey.

Top Top

Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:49 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Today's workout went as follows. Rode the Bike for a total of 6.5 miles with the 1st 5.1 miles in 17:54. Left no doubt today. Previous best was 18:02. Felt like I had a lot left in the tank. There also were lighter winds and that helped. Felt strong.

Went to the gym and did the following:
Lat Pulls 10x120, 135, 150, 160, 5x185, 10x135
DB Bi/Hammer Curls 2x16x25s, 16x30s

Played golf this AM and played well. It's fun when the ball goes straight and in the hole.

Overall, a good training day.

Top Top

Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:54 pm

Master Masters Athlete

PS
Tony, Where is Gulf Breeze FL.? I'm in Fort Myers FL. What age group are you in and what events?

Fidel, Would love to get together, but OR is a long ways away...lol.

We all should share more ideas on training. I'm always looking for new things.

Top Top

Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:33 am

Master Masters Athlete

Hey Dan,

Gulf Breeze is in Northwest Florida by Pensacola and close to Mobile, AL. Ft Myers is a long way from here. I am 51 now so in the 50-55 range. It would be nice to train with someone though, but I don't believe I could keep up with your regimen anyway. Keep up the good work.

Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:26 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Tony,

What events do you compete in?

Dan

Top Top

Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:39 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Didn't lift today. Just rode the Bike for a total 5.5 miles with then 1st 4.1 miles as my time trial coursce in 14:27. Trying to get back under 14 minutes, but it's hard. Finished into the wind, again, which didn't help matters. Stayed in the same gear almost the whole ride. Getting faster in the tempo but I think I could have gone faster in a higher gear and still had something at the end. Will try to up the tempo and see how that goes in another ride.

Getting my hernia repaired on Thursday. Hopefully I will recover from this as quickly as I did last summer's surgery. Again, just as I feel as I'm making good progress....something derails me. Hope it makes me stronger.

Top Top

Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:05 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Played terrible golf this AM, but still golf...lol.

Rode the Bike this afternoon for 7.9 miles in 29:26. The 1st 6.5 miles was in 23:16, one second faster than my previous best. There was alot of wind , but I found the higher gear for parts of the ride with the wind and it really helped. Tried to push the high gear to the finish, but the wind was dead in my face for the last 3/4 mile and I had to go down a gear or two to maintain my speed. At the end, my legs and lungs were on fire. This was a very hard ride, but a new PR.

Tried to lift Legs after the ride, but my right knee had some funny clicking sounds and felt really strange. Will wait till tomorrow to see how that feels. Finished with some Core AB work.

Overall, a really good day of training. Have hit a couple of PRs in the last few days and weight is still holding steady or coming off slowly. Would like to break 220 again for the surgery.

Top Top

Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:44 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Hey Dan,

I have competed in the 100m, 200m, and the 400m. I mostly train for these distances but I really like the 400m.

Right now I am trying to come back from hamstring pulls and baker's cyst of the knee.

Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:11 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Tony,

I used to compete in the 400 IH , 400, and 200. Occasionally ran the 100, but had too many hamstring issues. Would love to get to 185 or less and compete there again. Weight is about 222 right now, so I'm staying with the bike till I get back to 200. Thinking of some weight events till then, shot and maybe javelin. Where are there any meets in FL? If you know of any. Trying to compete if I can.

Dan

Top Top

Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:45 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Yeah, would like to get together to train but I'm injured right now. I may not run until summer. So, all I do is browse the internet and watch TV nowadays... :lol:

Top Top

Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:33 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Hey Dan,
Here are a few places to check out:

Try the National Training Center in Orlando at http://www.usantc.com/events-list/ and look through the event calendar.

Try Coach O at http://coachoregistration.com/calendar/ ... endar.html and scroll down through the list to find masters meets in Florida.

There is the Jimmy Carnes indoor meet usually held in January in Gainesville, FL.

Check out the Florida Senior Games, there are several locations across the state of Florida throughout the year.

Fidel,
Sorry to hear about the injury. I have had 2 ham pulls, bakers cyst of knee, torn calf muscles, and lingering hip issues over the past year. It is a chore just to stay healthy.

Hang in there,
Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWW