masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:12 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Parked the bike as it was raining here in sunny SW FL. Went to the gym and did a light warmup of Knee Pops 2x16, Butt Kicks 2x16, Hurdle Mobility 10x each leg. Went to the Treadmill and set the incline to 5% grade. Did 15 minutes on the Treadmill of run 20 seconds at 6.8 mph with a 1:40 walk. Did a total of 7 reps. Finished with A Skips 4x16. Stretched and called it a night.
This was the 1st time that I ran and it felt good. Knees did not hurt, which is a good thing. Used the incline to take some pounding off the knees and it seemed to work. Only went 20 seconds but it was enough to feel the rythm and get a feeling of movement that wasn't the bike. Will try to incorporate some treadmill work 2-3 times a week and then graduate to flat running.
Any thoughts?

Top Top

Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:30 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Hamstringsand glutes were really sore today. I think it 's from the RDLs followed by treadmill running yesterday. Went to the gym and walked on the tradmill for 25 minutes on varying inclines (6-15%). Worked up a good sweat and then stretched.

Will try to get a bike ride in tomorrow morning to help with the tightness.

Top Top

Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:41 am

Master Masters Athlete

Got an 8 mile bike ride in this morning. Wanted to get some of the stiffness out of the legs and I did. Rode steady but not real hard. It was time on the bike. Got the legs loose and that's what I wanted. Will get a total body lfit in tonight.

Top Top

Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:58 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Took 2 days off for rest, part of the new philosophy. Weight held pretty even. Played some golf as my activity for the day.
Today, I went to the gym and hit the treadmill after a light warmup. Did 17 minutes total of striding for 25 seconds and walking for 1:35. Did 7 reps with the last few at 8 mph on a 5% grade. Felt good and knees didn't bother me. As I said, I will try to run at least 2 times per week to get myself going in run fashion.
After the running, I lifted Chest and Back. More for strength. I did Machine Bench Press super setted with Wide Grip Lat Pulls.
Bench 3x12x185
Lat Pulls 3x12x120
Felt like this was a good workout. Got finished in about 35 minutes, so there was no BSing while working out.

Tomorrow I will do legs and maybe a bike ride. See how I feel.

Top Top

Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:21 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Rode the bike this morning for 8.9 miles in 33:36. Just a steady ride. Wanted to lift my legs tonight, but legs were tired from the bike this morning and the treadmill running that I did last night. Rather than push the limits, I opted to rest tonight and lift Legs tomorrow. If I rride tomorrow , it wll be an easy ride and a short one....5 miles or so. Just enough to warmup.

Top Top

Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:18 am

Master Masters Athlete

Felt rested this morning so I lifted Legs. Did the following:

Leg Press 5x30x200, 225, 250, 275, 300. Took about 90 seconds rest and was gassed at the end of the sets.
DB RDLs 4x8x40s

Stretched and went home. Will see how I feel after practice to see if I will take an easy ride tonight. Legs are very heavy at this time.

Top Top

Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:41 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Rode the bike 6.5 miles tonight. Started out easy and felt good, so I upped the tempo and finished in 23:18. Previous best was 23:17. Felt strong throughout the ride. Although I haven't been riding quite as much, I have started adding two running sessions into the program. My legs still feel pretty good and the knees are OK. If I fell OK tomorrow, I will add the treadmill session again. It's only 17 minutes, but the intensity is high through the last 2-3 reps. Hope I can keep this going.

Top Top

Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:49 am

Master Masters Athlete

Today was a good day. Warmed up with Knee Pops, Butt Kicks, Leg Swings, and A Skips. Then went to the Treadmill for my 17 minutes workout. Got 7 good reps with the last 2 at 8.2 and 8.4 mph on a 5% grade. Started the reps at 5.8 and moved up as I got loose. Felt really good to have the legs turn over as quickly as they did. I can set the speed on the treadmill and it takes about 10 seconds to get up to speed. I hold that tempo for 15 additional seconds and then back down. Runs lasted between 25-30 seconds with a 90 second recovery walk.

Those of you that read my postings, do you have any other suggestions to help with the transition to running. Knees felt OK today. I will continue to ride the bike, more for the cardio effect, and save my legs for the hard running. Thoughts. Remember that I am 65....lol.

Top Top

Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:52 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Felt good after practice and dinner, so I went for an easy 4.8 miles ride on the bike. Just enough to work up a sweat and get the blood flowing. Rode it in 19:23. Knees feel ok, I will use tomorrow as a lifting day and work Shoulders and Arms. No cardio or running.

Top Top

Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:45 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Stayed away from the bike and only lifted today. Did Shoulders and Arms.

DB Shoulder Press 3x8x40s, 8x45s
Bi/Hammer Curls 3x16 8 Bicep Curls followed immediately by 8 Hammer Curls
Tri Press Downs 3x8x80

When I finished the workout I really felt good. Good enough to get on the bike for some additional cardio. Instead, I came home and had a glass of iced tea. I know that I need more rest than what I usually take, and if I want to get back to competition, I need rest rather than grinding myself into the ground. More does not always equal better. I worked with a coach who's philosophy was less equals more. Being old school, where we worked till we dropped,
this is a hard concept. Although when I coach my players, less is more. I just have a hard time adapting.

Any thoughts, I will take any suggestions to heart.

Top Top

Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:20 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Took two days for rest, and ate, and drank a few beers. Amazingly, my weight jumped about 6 pounds. Frustrating, but I will carry on.

Today, I rode the bike for 10.3 miles in 37:05. There was plenty of wind and rode most of the way in a lower gear, spinning, to keep the bike straight. Did finish strong and reached a top speed of 22.8 mph. That's about as high as I have gotten so far. Wanted to crack 23, but couldn't get there. I am thinking of improving my gear for riding and getting clips and shoes as all I'm doing now is pushing. With clips and shoes, I will also be pulling and involving the hamstrings more than what I am now doing.

Ate dinner and then went to the gym and did the following:
Machine Bench Press 6x185, 4x200, 215, 230, 2x245, 2x8x185
Lat Pulls 6x120, 4x135, 150, 155, 160, 2x8x120
I super setted the Bench and the Lat Pulls taking about 90 seconds rest between SSs.

Felt like today was a good workout. See how I feel tomorrow. Want to hit the Treadmill tomorrow.

Top Top

Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:14 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Played golf this morning and went to the gym tonight for my Treadmill workout.

Did 17 minutes of accelerations with a 90 second walk. Started at 5.6 mph at 5 % grade and finished the last 3 at 8.2, 8.4, and 8.6 mph. Walked 3 minutes to cool down. Did a total of 7 reps of about 25-30 seconds. At the end, my right knee felt funny....not sore, just funny, can't tell. Will wait till tomorrow to see how it feels.

Would like to get a bike ride in and lift Legs tomorrow. Have to see how I feel.

Top Top

Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:18 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Went to the gym and lifted Legs. Did the following:

Knee Pops 16, Butt Kicks 16, Hurdle Mobility 10 each leg, Leg Swings 10 each leg.
Leg Press 20x200, 225, 250, 275, 300, 325
DB RDLs 12x40, 45, 50

Finished with A Skips 4x16 reps, Walking Lunges 2x16

Got a good work out in today. Will try to get a ride in the morning and Shoulders and Arms lift in the evening.

Top Top

Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:36 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Tonight was to be a bike ride and lift, but I had a flat tire.....so the bike was out. Legs were really tight after last night's lift, but I went to the gym and did the following:

Recumbant Bike for 10 minutes at a steady pace.
DB Shoulder Press 10x35s, 10x40s, 8x45s
Treadmill workout 17 minutes of 25 second striders at 5% grade and walk for 90 seconds. Started at 5.8 mph and the last few were at 8.2, 8.6, 8.8 mph. Got a good workout in tonight. I keep track of the HR and it was up there towards the end of the workout. Barely getting back to 120 after 90 seconds. Stretched and went home. Legs feel good. Knees feel good. See how I feel tomorrow.

Top Top

Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:31 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Can't sleep....so I have a few questions. I need a TAC card to compete...yes. How much is it to join? I live in Fort Myers FL. Are there any Masters Meets in FL? Are there any Maters Clubs in FL? I belonged, years ago, to the Philadelphia Masters and ran in their meets and competed in the Penn Relays, etc. Getting the urge to compete. Where are the Indoors Nationals being held as well as the Outdoor Championships and the dates? Have not been able to locate them. Any help would go a long ways in my thought process to see if I can get back. I need some goals to work for. Thanks for any help.

Top Top