masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:44 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Rested on Sunday. The last 2 days I have walked 3 miles a day. Still sore in the abdomin, but continuing to walk steady. Other than that I feel good. Hope that I can maintain my weight, it has been creeping up the last few days. I haven't been keeping records of what I eat....so I 've been cheating and hoping I don't gain..Wrong. Got to get back to clean eating. Any suggestions?

Top Top

Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:18 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Walked about 3 1/4 -3 1/2 miles the last two days and feel good. Today was a rest day.... and I mean rest. Napped a total of 4 hours this afternoon. I guess my body was telling me to slow down abit. Have been feeling well and hope to get back to walking again tomorrow. My eating leveled off the last few days and I went right back to 212 again....which is a new low. Hoping to get to 200 by August 1st and then who knows where I will end up. If I can maintain below 200, that's when I'm going to add a little running back into the program.

Top Top

Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:31 pm

Master Masters Athlete

The last few days I have been walking 2 miles straight with no problems, and then add another mile later in the day. The only side effect is the tightness in the lower abs. Have been taking tylenol but that doesn't do anything for me. I will start to take ibprophen again this week as it will be 3 weeks from surgery on Tuesday. Trying to up my walks to eventually get to 3 miles for one walk and add aonother mile after that. I can start back with the bike in another 2 weeks. Can't wait. I'm getting bored with just walking and no riding , running, or lifting, but trying to follow the Dr.'s orders and staying calm. It will get better.

Top Top

Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:46 pm

Master Masters Athlete

The last couple of days I have been going to the gym and walking on the treadmill. Can't believe how much better my legs and knees feel afterwards. I get to play with the incline and speed of the treadmill to solve the boredom problems. I feel that I'm getting a good workout and not over extending the ABs in the walk and still working up a good sweat. Must be getting better as I'm bored most of the day and walking is my only outlet for now. Hoping to get back to the bike in another week or so and then lifting in 2 1/2 weeks or so.

Top Top

Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:14 pm

Master Masters Athlete

The treadmill is so much easier on my legs. Walked 3.8 miles yesterday and felt great. Walked 1.25 miles on sidewalks today and my knees felt stiff. Go back to the treadmill tomorrow. My eating the last few days has been bad. Cookies and stuff that I don't normally eat has my weight going up a few pounds.(Although the cookies tasted Great). Back to clean eating tomorrow and will stay there. Need to get the weight off permantly.

Top Top

Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:42 pm

Master Masters Athlete

A-hem...cookies are good for you. Make sure you wash them down with some whiskey..:). Seriously, good job on your way back!

Top Top

Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:15 am

Master Masters Athlete

My choice Fidel, is Vodka....lol.

Rested yesterday and walked 2.5 miles on the treadmill at an average speed of 3.5 mph and an incline of 7 today. Burned some serious calories amd felt great. Will stay on the treadmill for a couple of days and then mix in the recumbant bike for a few days before transitioning back to the bike totally. Overall, I feel really good. Surgery will be 4 weeks on Tuesday and all but my big scar is healed. Looking to get back to serious workouts and some pool work for recovery. As soon as my legs feel up to it , I will start some easy running. Ambitious, but carefull planning to get to indoors....I hope.

Top Top

Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:54 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Walked 1.5 miles today and then went to the recumbant bike. Thought I would give it a try. 40 minutes later I was done. Threw in 10 x 30 seconds with 90 seconds rest sfter a 6 minute warmup. Finished with a long cool down. Felt good. Hoping to get to the bike by the end of the week. The bike ride was 8.5 miles according to the trip tix. Kept a steaady pace accept for the 30 second burst. I may be feeling better than I should. Hope all goes well.

Top Top

Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:18 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Today's work out was just the recumbant bike. Warmed up with a 5 minute spin with lower tension for 1.3 miles on the trip tix. Then a total of 25 minutes with the 1st 20 fairly hard. I increased the tension and threw in 4 one minute accelerations at increased tension. Rode for 5.3 miles in 20 min. and 6.3 counting the cooldown. Had the Heart Rate up to 128 during the last two accelerations. Was a pretty good work out. Felt like I did something for once. Weight has been up to 219, so I'm back to clean eating and really watching my food intake. No more cookies and cheese cake for a while....lol, unless I wash it down with an adult beverage...lol.

Top Top

Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:51 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Tired today but got 35 minutes on the recumbant bike. Totaled 7.75 miles. First 6 minutes were warmup, then 10x30 seconds with 90 second rests, spun for 3 minutes and then 1 minute hard before a 5 minute cool down. Felt good afterwards. It's not the same as riding outdoors, but still a solid workout. Will get back to the bike this weekend.

Top Top

Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:30 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Went to the gym tonight to get my workout in and warmed up with 1.3 miles on the recumbant bike. Walked .5 miles and went home to get my road bike. Just for kicks I rode my 4.1 time trial course to see where I was in my conditioning. My ride was strong and steady with no acceleration in the last 1/2 mile. Time was 14:38 which equals my previous best one month ago. Finished with a cooldown ride of 1.4 miles for a total of 5.5 miles in 20:27. Still a good ride. Felt like I could ride forever, but stopped as I wanted to feel good afterwards. ABs felt great as did my whole body. I guess my walking and what little recumbant riding was enough to keep me in some what good condition. Test will be to see how I progress over the next few weeks. Will try golf tomorrow, 1st time in a month. Strength training begins in about a week and a half. Can't wait.

Top Top

Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:01 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Today was an activity day. Played 9 holes of average golf and then rode 7.8 miles on the bike, two 3.9 mile loops. The 1st loop was in 13:59 ( a new best ) and then finishing in 27:24 ( again a new best). Felt really strong. The last 3/4s of a mile was dead into the wind and was hard. Couldn't muster a finish, just hung on. Had some telling signs that I over did it today. Tomorrow will be a forced rest day. Not sure if the golf swing caused problems with the torque that is involved or the bike ride. The bike previously hasn't caused problems, so I think I may have over done it playing golf. Will rest and see if I clear up tomorrow. Maybe some easy workouts the next few days.

Top Top

Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:32 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Checked my times and my finishing time was 28:24. Previous best for the same course was 30:34. 1st lap of the course was 13:59, previous best was 15:18. For some reason, my strength for riding has gotten better with the rest from surgery. I don't know how it could have gotten better. Any thoughts out there. I did have some bleeding today, as a result I WILL rest tomorrow. Right now everything seems fine, but will use caution rather than soldier on.

Top Top

Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:40 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Just for giggles..... I was watching a bit of the Tour de France and the Prolgue today. They were riding a time tial of about 3.8-3.9 miles ( 6.4 kilometers ). I ride it in 13:39. Winning time today was 7:13. As good as I think I'm getting, they are on a different level all together. Off course I'm 65 and they are......younger...lol. Still I will get back to my training tomorrow and see how I feel. No problems today. Hopefully I can structure my workouts to start to get some running in September. That's what I am shooting for.

Top Top

Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:51 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Went back to the recumbant bike for 32 minutes. Rode 8.2 miles according to the trip tix. Warmed up with 6 minutes spinning and then 10x30 seconds hard w/ 90 seconds of spinning at a lower rate. 3 minutes spin and 1 minute hard. The rest was cool down. Pretty tired at the end. Today was a good workout. Will try the real bike tomorrow.

Top Top