The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:37 am

Master Masters Athlete

Hi Dan,

Some answers:

USATF membership -- http://usatf.org/Products---Services/In ... ships.aspx

Upcoming national meets -- http://www.usatfmasters.org/cal_bigmeets.htm

Some goals to shoot for, here's the 2012 outdoor rankings list for all events for your age group --

http://www.mastersrankings.com/rankings ... cyear=2012

I'll let the FL athletes answer local questions. I'm near Chicago, so I can't help there.

Greg

Top Top

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:18 am

Master Masters Athlete

Thanks Greg. It will give me something to mull over. Want to start my next go around of weight loss and see where it gets me. If I can break 200 and stay injury free, I will start aimimg for some of those dates. Would like to get some local meets in if I can just to see where I'm at in training.

Top Top

Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:05 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Upgraded the bike with new peddles and shoes....what a differencce it makes. I rode and easy 6.5 miles in about the same time as my best and wasn't even pushing the tempo. I think I can ride further in less time and the same amount of effort. I could feel the hamstings being activiated while riding. I was getting the push, and also the pull. Makes for faster riding, that for sure. Will try some timed courses over the next few days to see if it makes a major difference.
Tomorrow will be a rest day, except for some AM golf.

Top Top

Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:40 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Knee was a little sore today so I went to the bike for my cardio instead of the treadmill. See how I feel tomorrow.
Biked 7.6 miles. Mainly to get used to how I ride with the new shoes and peddles. The 1st 4.1 miles was my Time Trial course and rode it in 14:03. 2nd best time and really could have gone a lot faster. Finished the ride as a cool down ride. Then went to the gym and did the following:
Machine Bench Press 10x135, 8x160, 6x185, 4x205, 4x230, 4x245, 2x265, 2x10x185
DB Incline Press 2x15x45s, 12x45s, 6x45s
Was hurting after the last incline set. Can feel my chest getting tight. Today was a good workout.
Also played golf today and shot an 88. Golf is fun when the ball goes straight....lol.

Top Top

Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:57 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Played another 18 holes of golf....not as much fun as yesterday...lol.

After football practice, I went to the weight room with the team and did a modified back routine.
Bent Rows 3x8x135 Felt pretty good after that.

After dinner, I went for a bike ride and rode 10.4 miles in about 40:27. There was a lot of wind. I broke up the ride and did 5 one minute accelerations. Really pushed the tempo and felt good after the ride.
I used the bike again because my right knee is causing me some stiffness and low grade pain. I have been taking ibuprophen, but right now it doesn't seem to help. Maybe I need to rest it a few days and see how I feel. The knee feels a little stiff when I 1st start to ride, but then loosens up and the bike is no problem. I'm just afraid to push the treadmill right now.

Top Top

Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:29 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Took testerday off as my back was killing me and my right knee wasn't much better. Went to the chiropractor this morning and she worked my back and right leg hard. Things were popping all over the place. When I left her office, my leg and back felt much better. I think I need to get a little therapy every once in a while to keep the body aligned properly.

Rode the bike tonight for 6.5 miles in a very easy 26:35. Wanted to see how my back and knee felt. Since that was OK, I went to the gym and lifted Legs:

Leg Press 2x15x225, 2x15x275, 2x15x325.

All the lifts were deliberate and in a 1 second push and a 2 seconds lowering. I wanted to feel each rep and I did. Legs were tired but not to the point that I could not have continued to do more. Felt like this was a good work out. Will wait to see how I feel tomorrow before trying the Treadmill again. If I feel this good tomorrow, I will go to the Treadmill for my interval workout.

Top Top

Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:38 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Went to the gym and did my Treadmill workout. 17 minutes of 25 second accelerations with about 90 seconds walk for a total of 8 reps. Started at 5.6 mph at 5% incline and finished the last few at 8.0, 8.4. 8.8 mph. Knee felt OK after the 1st few as a warmup. Had the HR up to 138 after the last rep and walked for 2:30 and the HR came down to under 100. Feel that my recovery ability is good. Will try to increase the work load next week to 2 sets of 6 reps with about 8-10 minutes of recovery between sets.

Any thoughts? Am I trying to do too much? Should I change anything in my routine?

Top Top

Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:38 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Took Friday and Saturday off, except for golf on Friday. My right ankle is sore, so I opted for the bike today and rode 7.8 miles in 30:19 with the 1st 6.5 in 24:13. I was riding in tempo to get familiar with the peddles. I was surprised at how fast I went. The wind was 20-30 mph and it was hard to control the bike in the cross winds as well as riding into the wind. I'm sure the winds are from the storm Sandy even though its far up the coast. Overall it was a good ride.

Went to the gym and did the following:
Machine Bench Press 10x135
Lat Pulls 10x90
Then did 21-15-9 reps on the Bench and Lat Pulls with the weight at 165 on the Bench and 120 on the Lat Pulls. Did the exercises for time with the Bench Press 1st and Lat Pulls 2nd. When I finished 21 reps for each exercise, I dropped to the next set. Took very little rest and finished in 5 minutes 28 seconds. The Bench weight could have been higher ( will try 180 next time), but the Lat Pulls kicked my butt. I was pretty tired when I finished.

Overall, a good workout today. See how I feel tomorrow. If the ankle is OK, I'll try the Treadmill workout.

Top Top

Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:06 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Played golf this morning. Was tired and right ankle still a little sore so I went to the gym and did the following:

Leg Press 20x200, 225, 250, 275, 300, 325, 350 Took about 90 seconds rest between sets.

Stretched and called it a day.

Will try to run tomorrow night after a bike ride in the morning. See how my ankle feels.

Top Top

Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:53 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Sore ankle, sore knee, can't win for losing. Went to the gym to get a Tradmill workout. Started with some Leg Swings, Butt Kicks, Knee Pops, and Hurdle Mobility. Rode the Recumbant Bike for 5 minutes and went to the Treadmill. Started out OK. But on the 3rd rep of accelerations, my right knee had pain in it like a hot knife. Walked for 10 minutes. Didn't hurt when I walked, only when I picked up the tempo. Will rest for a few days and stay on the bike. See if I can recover to get back to credible workouts.

Top Top

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:06 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Today was a day to assess my body. Felt fine this AM. Knee felt good. Ankle felt good. After football practice my knee was a little stiff. Went to the gym and rode the Recumbant Bike for 5 minutes to warm up. Did Butt Kicks 3x18, Knee Pops 2x18, A Skips 2x18, B Skips 2x18. Then rode the bike again for 5 minutes. Went to the Treadmill and put in 5 minutes walking and jogging slowly. Ran for 2 minutes at 5.2 and 5.6 mph. Did Core AB work for 10 minutes.

I will see how I feel tomorrow. Right Knee is still a little stiff and sore , but not like last night. See if I can get a solid bike ride in tomorrow.

Top Top

Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:13 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Good day and bad day. Thought I would use the bike today and get a good ride in. Rode my 6.5 mile course in 23:30, just off my best of 23:17. Thought I had a great ride in, when I put the bike down on the road. The whole left side of my body is road rash and bruises. Had only a half mile left in the ride when I hit a small patch of water. Bike was gone before I knew it. Was only going about 18-19 mph, slid for about 10 yards or so. Wrecked the bike also. Me and the Bike are on the shelf for a few days.....lol.

Top Top

Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:03 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Took Friday off except for golf and Saturday was total rest. Left side of my body is really tore up from road rash and bruises and swelling on my outer thigh. Played golf this morning and went to the gym tonight and did the following:

Machine Bench Press 10x135, 150, 165, 180, 195, 4x210 followed immediately by 6x180. Took about 60-90 seconds rest between sets. Couldn't do any more on the Bench.
Incline DB Press 3x10x45s with 90 seconds rest.
Incline DB Flys 3x8x25s with 90 seconds rest.

Recumbant Bike for 10 minutes to get a little cardio and see how my legs and hip felt. Really sore but soldiering on....lol.

Will play golf tomorrow morning and get a lift in tomorrow night.

Top Top

Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:43 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Hip is still sore so I went to the gym and did the following:

Lat Pulls Wide Grip 10x90, 105, 120, 135, 2x5x150, 10x115, 10x110
Bent Rows 2x8x135

Will try tomorrow for an easy bike ride.....and watch for any water on the road....lol.

Top Top

Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:39 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Rained a bit today so I stayed off the bike. No more riding if it's wet.....lol.

Went to the gym and rode the Recumbant Bike for 20 minutes. Warmed up for 5 minutes , increasing the resistance each minute, and then did 6 one minute accelerations with a minute rest. Cooled down the remaining time. Got a good sweat going and had the PR up to 138. Over the last two reps, I never recovered below 120. Made it a difficult workout. In the final cool down, PR got back to under 100. Felt good.

If it's clear tomorrow, I will ride the Bike and lift Shoulders and Arms.

Top Top