masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:11 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Football practice is messing with my workout times and energy levels. I've been working out in the evenings and I'm not getting my rides in the AM as I'm still tired from the night before's WO. I guess I'll have to force myself to get it done. This is tonight's WO:

Lat Pulls 2x10x115, 3x4x135, 3x4x150, 2x3x165, 10x105
Leg Press 15x225, 250, 275, 300/ 8x325, 350, 375, 400
Single Leg Curls 3x10x35 Left hamstring was starting to cramp up on the last set. Was going to do 4 sets , but stopped as I diddn't want to hurt myself.

Went to the cardio Room and did the following - A Skips 4x20 , B Skips 4x20, Leg Up and Around 2x20.

When I got done the cardio room, I was tired. Legs and calves were burning. Worked up a good sweat and felt like I accomplished something. I'm going to try to ease into a running phase, though mostly drills for now. Weight is still around 215, so I need to take it easy on the knees. Will still ride the bike for most of my cardio. Any suggestions for those who follow this thread?

Top Top

Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:34 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Right knee was a little sore tonight and it's raining again in sunny SW FL. Went to the gym and basically did a warmup work out. Rode the recumbant bike for 20 minutes and then went to the cardio room for some Knee Pops 4x24, Butt Kicks 4x24, A Skips 2x24, B Skips 2x24 and then called it a night.

Have been tired from practice. This AM I was really tight from the previous night's WO. Need to better plan my time so that I can ride in the mornings and avoid the afternoon and evening rains (it is the rainy season here), and still get in my lifts at night. Still looking to start the P90X workouts next week. I really don't know how they will effect me. Looking to ride 5-6 miles or more in the AM and P90X in the evenings. Maybe too much , but I will modify as needed.

Top Top

Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:20 am

Master Masters Athlete

Got my ride in about noon today. Didn't feel too bad. Rode 10.1 miles in 36:52. 2nd best time, previous best was 36:22. Very windy during the ride. The thing I like about riding in the evening is the wind calms down. Knees were a little sore so I passed on the skips but did do Knee Pops 2x24, Butt Kicks 2x24, and Walking leg Swings 4x10. The Leg Swings were forward and really worked the hamstings. Finished with 3x30 seconds of Pillar Bridges. Overall, a good work out.

Top Top

Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:40 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Right knee is really sore, so I laid off the bike and went to the gym for a quick weight workout.
Warmed up with Machine Bench Press for 10x135 and Lat Pulls 10x105.
Machine Bench Press 6x10x135 Tabata Style (10 seconds rest between sets). The last set of 10 went 6 reps rest 10 seconds and then 4 reps.
Lat Pulls 3x10x105, 10x90, 10x80, 2x10x75 Tabata Style.

At the end of this little work session, my upper body was screaming. Wanted to do more , but I think I did enough for today. Will try to get a bike ride in tomorrow.....but will see how the weather is as it rained again all day. Also, I hope that the rest I took today allows me to ride tomorrow.

Top Top

Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:59 pm

Master Masters Athlete

My right knee is still bothering me. I played 18 holes of golf this morning and then went to football practice. Standing and moving for anothers 2 1/2 hours in the hot sun. I took in alot of fluids during the day, but I don't think it was enough. Wanted to ride tonight and so I thought I would ride an easy 7-8 miles. Got on the bike and my knee was really stiff. Rode 4 miles and called it a night. Will take some ibuprophen tonight and see how I feel tomorrow morning. Would like to get my ride in before practice and then see how I feel.

Top Top

Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:10 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Knee felt better tonight so I thought I would go for the 4.1 miles time trial course. Rode it in 14:29, 3rd best time. It was very windy to ride and I think I rode in the wrong gear most of the way. When I went for the finish, I found that I was at least 2 gears down from where I should have been riding. It was still hard into the wind. Finished with 1.4 miles for cool down for 5.5 miles in 19:55. This was my best time for riding this segment.
Finished with 4x30 seconds of Pillar Bridges. Knee still feels OK. will see what tomorrow brings.

Top Top

Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:01 am

Master Masters Athlete

Finally got the urge to workout this morning. Rode a total of 13.1 miles in 48:04. The 1st half of the ride was 24:10, took a 5 minute break, and rode the 2nd half in 23:56. Wanted to try and beat the time for the 1st half and did. Both rides were steady without really pressing at the end. Knee felt alot better today. Will try to lift tonight, but no legs. Give it a couple of days to see where I am.

Now off to football practice. See how I feel afterwards.

Top Top

Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:30 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Got my strength workout in tonight.
Machine Bench Press 10x135, 6x180, 4x195, 3x210, 3x225, 2x235, 2x8x180
DB Incline Press 4x8x45s
Close Grip Lat Pulls 3x8x120
Wide Grip Lat Pulls 3x8x105
DB Chest Supported Rows 3x8x40s

Felt pretty good after lifting. Wanted to get a good upper body workout in and I think I did. See how my knee feels tomorrow, to ride and/or lift. Maybe I'll wait till Friday to lift legs. Give it some more rest before really taxing the joint.

Top Top

Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:12 am

Master Masters Athlete

Took Thursday and Friday off for rest. I really need to organize my time better to get my rides and lifts in at the right times of the day.

Rode my 10.1 mile s course today. Felt like I need to hit a good time. Rode the course in 35:49....best time to date, but not by much. Previous best was 35:54. It was very windy, and since it's flat, I really had to push into the wind to keep up the pace. When the wind was behind me, I still needed to push to make up for lost time into the wind. I suffered through it and hit my best time. Today's ride hurt at the end. Legs were shot and a little wobbly at the end. I couldn't finish as hard as I thought I would, but still hit a PR for that distance.

Finished with Butt Kicks 2x24, Knee Pops 2x24, and I was done.

Did I say I suffered today....lol.

Top Top

Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:55 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Played 18 hles of golf this AM. This evening rode and easy 6.6 miles in 24:55 and the hit the P90X Chest and Back routine. Didn't do the ABs portion as I was already tired. Will save that for next week. Should be sufficinetly sore tomorrow as I did 151 assorted PUSH Ups and 80 Assited Pull Ups. Didn't really push the ride as I knew I was going to do the strength workout. That and my legs were a little heavy and sore from yesterdays ride. yesterday's ride really took a lot out of me. Haven't been that tired in a loooonnng time. But it was a good workout.

Top Top

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:00 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Rode 6.5 miles and tried to ride faster then previously, and rode it in 23:55. Best time for this course. After the ride I took about a 10 minute break and then went to P90X Plyometrics. I think I need to do this workout fresh as I gave it a good try but was done by 1/2 through the video. Need to either ride in the AM and Plyos at night or just do the Plyos fresh. Legs were shot from all the squats and jump squats that I did. Didn't keep track of squats but did a lot of them. Legs will be sore tomorrow. I also have to realize that I'm just starting this phase of workouts and my body needs time to adjust.....I hope.

Top Top

Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:18 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Body is really tired today. The P90X workouts have kicked my butt. Took a nap today after football practice. Wanted to get a ride and Shoulders and Arms in tonight , but opted for just a ride. Legs were sore from Plyos yesterday, so I rode my 6.5 mile course in a strong and steady 23:58. Was surprised by the time as it was very close to my best without pushing the finish. Just rode strong.

Tomorrow I plan on doing the Shoulders and Arms in the AM and then try the Yoga (lol) in the PM with no rides planned. Just working out. From what I hear the Yoga is also hard. We'll see.

Top Top

Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:04 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Took a break from the bike today and just did P90X workouts. Did Shoulders and Arms this AM. You might think with all the strength training that I do that I wouldn't be sooo sore from these workouts but I am. Did 1/2 hour of Yoga tonight. Yoga is tough also. Tomorrow is Legs and Back. I may try riding in the morning if I feel OK. My whole body is sore....not just one part. Will try for a good ride and then the workout.

Top Top

Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:20 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Very tired today and still sore. Went for an easy bike ride. Got 3 miles into the ride and realized that I was doing myself no good, so I stopped. Will take the night off and do Legs and Back tomorrow morning as I have a game tomorrow night. Saturday will be a rest day, and then see how I feel. Wife is just getting over a bad summer cold....hope I'm not getting it.

Top Top

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:26 am

Master Masters Athlete

Have a game tonight so I got the workout in this morning. Did P90X Legs and Back routine. Felt Ok through the workout. Didn't really push too hard as I wanted to see how the WO felt. That and my knees were a little sore. Worked up a nice sweat. No bike today. Will rest tomorrow and start again Sunday.

Top Top