masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:31 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Tried to ride the Recumbany Bike today, but was absolutely bored. May try the real Bike tomorrow when the wife is playing golf....lol.

Today I walked 4 miles total. Did 2x2 miles. Tried not to overstride so much. I think that's what does my knees in. Felt pretty good at the end. Getting antzy around the house as I can't really train the way I want too. Time will come when I can start upping the tempo in the next couple of weeks.

Top Top

Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:46 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Got back to the Road Bike today. Took it easy and rode for 6.5 miles. By the time I got to the end of the ride, I could feel the incision stretching a bit and backed off the last mile. Still rode the 6.5 miles in 25 minutes. Not bad for the 1st time out. It was also more fun than busting the Recumbant Bike in the gym.

Top Top

Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:44 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Rode 6.8 miles in 27:13. Not bad. Just wanted to get time on the Bike today. There was alot of wind, so I geared down to not put alot of stress on the ABs. Overall. A good day. Can't wait till I can get back to full training. Although, It will only be 3 weeks post-op tomorrow.

Top Top

Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:44 am

Master Masters Athlete

Today was a good day for me. Rode the Bike for 6.6 miles in 25:13. The 1st 4.1 miles was my TT Course which I did in 14:14. Was happy with the effort as I stayed in the same gear the whole way. Could have punched a gear or two and finished with a better time, but wanted to know where I was in my training. When I really feel better, I think I can go alot faster....I hope. Was pretty tired at the end of the 4.1 miles and used the last 2.5 miles as a cooldown.

Weight is also holding for now. Hope I can stay on course and continue to lose. Not back to where I was last year at my best, but getting there.

Top Top

Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:13 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Today was an easy day. Walked 2 miles. Worked up a nice sweat and called it a day. see what tomorrow brings.

Top Top

Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:09 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Good job, Dan. Way to stick with it.

Top Top

Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:38 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Fidel,

How are you doing? Did you find a Bike for your rehab yet? Hope your rehab is going well. Keep us updated.

Dan

Top Top

Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:18 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I'm doing okay. My buddies here in Oregon are starting to compete in races and I'm itching to get out there.

PT is going okay and I stopped using my cane. I had a follow up doc appt on Tuesday and doc was pleased with my progress. The broken fibula is showing new bone, I passed all the knee ligament stability tests and now it's just a matter of improving flexion, extension and strength. My first walk to Starbucks (about 100m) was on Wednesday and I got a cramp in my calf. Same with Thursday but, today, no cramp!

I think one more month of solid PT and I may think about jogging.

Thanks for asking...

Top Top

Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:18 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Fidel,

Sounds like you are on the mend. Walking will be a chore for a while. Have you looked into a Bike for alternative therapy? Biking will take the stress off the legs a bit and still give you good cardio, as well as strengthening the knee and thigh. Keep us posted as to how you re doing. You're in my prayers.

Dan

Top Top

Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:26 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Today was a good day of activity. Played nine holes of golf. Only took half swings. Chipped and putted. Didn't play half bad. Took a nap after golf. ABs were abit tight.

Went to the gym and rode the Recumbant Bike for 22 minutes. 4 minutes warmup and the 15 minutes hard. Total of 4.4 miles in 15 minutes. Best effort on the Recumbant Bike. Logged 4.1 miles in slightly less than 14 minutes. Was pleased with the effort. That would have been a best if I were on the Road Bike. Cooled down for 2 minutes. Had the HR up big time Then walked 1.5 miles outside.

Overall a good day. Felt strong......like I could have done more. I guess that's a good thing. weight is still coming down. Another plus. Hope to keep it going. Will start strength training in another couple of weeks.

Top Top

Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:28 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Yep, currently shopping for a bike. Thanks for the kind words.

Top Top

Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:01 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Today I was on the Road Bike for a total of 8.4 miles in 30:58. The 1st 3.9 miles was on my sprint course (only a couple of turn arounds) in 13:31. Could have gone faster, but when I saw that I wasn't going to beat a previous best I backed off the last 100 Meters or so. Previous best was 13:14. Started too conservatively. Had a finish, but had too much to make up. The last 4.5 miles was a series of 30-40 second bursts and cooldown spinning. Felt like I got a good workout in today. See what tomorrow brings.

Top Top

Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:22 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Great day today for me. Started out today really not knowing if I wanted to go 10 miles or less. Started on my 6.5 miles course, and after the 1st check point, I realized that I was really moving. There was alot of wind, but that didn't seem to bother me today. Just kept the tempo going and when I hit the last check I knew that I was having a good ride. Punched a gear or two in the last half mile and rode the 6.5 miles in 22:52. Previous best was 23:13. It's been a while since I had a ride that dropped that much time. I've been close, but just haven't been able to get it done. Kept the tempo thing going during the whole ride. Legs were moving faster without pounding the pedals. I think that I'm starting to use the Bike to my advantage.
Today was a good workout. I feel pumped. Think I can now go faster......maybe. Legs felt pretty good, but was really shot at the end of the workout.

Top Top

Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:54 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Left the Bike in the garage and went for a 3.4 miles walk. Felt pretty good afterwards. Walked 2 miles on the sidewalks, which kind of made my knees a little sore, and finished on the road for 1.4 miles. Knees felt better on the macadam. I think from now on I will either walk on the Treadmill or on the road, as both are better on the knees. Had a major sweat going at the end.

Top Top

Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:31 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Thursday and Friday I played golf and rested from regular workouts.

Today I went to the gym and did a Recumbant Bike workout. Started out easy for about 8 minutes and then did 25 minutes at a steady pace of about 86-90 rpms. Got 6.65 miles in 25 minutes. Took about 3 minutes cooldown and called it a night. See what tomorrow brings. Overall, a good training day.

Top Top