masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:56 am

Master Masters Athlete

Here's the story about what happened on 1/26. Also, it wasn't a torn PCL ligament, it was a partial ACL tear:

http://masterstrack.com/2013/01/24289/

And, here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xduJ42L ... yerfeature

I had surgery on 2/14 to reattach the tip of the fibula and repair a partial tear of the lateral collateral ligament. The tip of the fibula is where the biceps femoris attaches to so technically, I did have a detached hammy. We will wait 6 months to see if the partial ACL will be enough or if it needs to be reconstructed. The lung, scapula and ribs are healing by themselves but I still have bad rib pain in the mornings.

Top Top

Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:37 am

Master Masters Athlete

Wow!!!!! Sorry, I didn't know....somehow missed it. The fall was tough and almost sickening to watch. Although I watched it several times to see the extent of your injury. And some folks think that Track is an easy sport and non-contact.

I feel that I should be Lifting and going hard after seeing your injuries. Best wishes and God speed your recovery. You will be in my prayers.

Top Top

Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:46 am

Master Masters Athlete

Ouch!! That looked like it hurt. Good luck with the recovery.
Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:16 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Thanks guys. It is what it is, I guess. My wife was behind the camera which is why you don't see the rest of the race or me lying on the track trying to catch my breath.

Yesterday, I was able to lose the crutches and walk with a cane so there's some improvement.

It's disappointing to throw away 3 solid months of specific sprint training. I had been disciplined to workout consistently through the winter months and was looking forward to a solid 2013 season. So, now I will look forward to a solid 2014 season... :D

Top Top

Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:33 pm

Master Masters Athlete

You'll be fine, Fidel. Keep up the rehab and you'll be back in no time. And I thought crashing my Bike was bad.

You look to be a fairly big sprinter. What kind of workouts were you doing before the injury? I'm always looking for something new to help me. Lifting, running, etc.

Hang in there.

Dan

Top Top

Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:36 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I wasn't doing anything special. I spend lots of time warming up with drills (skipping, power skipping, one-legged jumping, lots of strides). My workouts either focus on block starts or flying 100's where I build up to full speed concentrating on form. I didn't do too much speed endurance since I was aiming for 60m indoors.

One thing I did add during those 3 months was 100m hill sprints with full recovery. The road I live on is about a 30 degree incline. Those helped a lot with my power and toe-off.

Here's a video of a flying 55m sprint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZPJmF3qchE

The camera adds 10lbs and also adds 1 second to my times...lol.

Top Top

Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:02 am

Master Masters Athlete

Si jefe, soon you will be back!

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:47 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Yesterday was an easy day as I walked about 1.2 miles.

Today, I walked about 1.3 miles at a brisk pace and then went to the gym and rode the Recumbant Bike for 15 minutes and logged 4.1 miles. Had the HR up to 124 at the end. Kept the RPMs at about 85-86 for most of the ride. Had the pressure at level 6 (just above the spinning level) the whole way and only increased the tempo at the end. Felt OK throughout the ride. Today was a good day of training, considering what I can do for now.

Top Top

Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:43 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Walked 2 miles today on the Treadmill at various inclines. Felt pretty good afterwards. Tomorrow I will try the Recumbant Bike again. See if I can go for 20 or so.

Top Top

Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:49 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Fidel,

Hope you are doing well. Have you started any rehab yet? If not, how soon? I hope you are getting around ok. Keep us up to date.

Dan

Top Top

Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:16 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I'm doing okay. I went to one crutch and can even walk a few steps without them. I've been to PT for 3 weeks and I'm getting more flexion extension in my knee. My quad is really weak so getting it stronger is a major focus right now. My ribs still hurt especially in the morning.

Thanks for asking.

Top Top

Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:50 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Took yesterday as arrest day. My ABs were sore from my Treadmill walk and I guess the varying inclines that I used.

Today was a Recumbant Bike day. Went a total of 22 minutes. 4 minutes warmup and then 15 minutes sustained effort at level 6 and kept the RPGs at about 88-90 for almost the whole effort. Logged 4.25 miles for the 15 minutes, which was better than my previous efforts. Took a 2 minutes cool down. Felt pretty good after the workout. Se what tomorrow brings.

Top Top

Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:55 am

Master Masters Athlete

Speaking of recumbant bike, I need to go buy one for my PT. At my last PT session, I was able to bend my knee enough to complete a revolution. I will be spending lots of time on a recumbant or stationary bike in the next few months.

Top Top

Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:01 pm

Master Masters Athlete

The Bike will help with joint mobility without a lot of stress on the knee, but still strenghten the leg. If you don't want to pay full price, you can try Plat It Again Sports. They have used sports equipment at decent prices. You may find what you need there. Hope you are up and about quickly. The Bike is a good option for a while.

Top Top

Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:57 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Walked today for a total of 3.2 miles. Walked twice for 1.6 miles each time. Should stick to the Treadmill as my knees are sore aftervwalking on the sidewalk. Tomorrow I will try to get a 20-25 minutes on the Recumbant Bike.

Top Top