masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:40 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Yesterday was just Golf in the AM. Very tired so I took the rest of the day off.

Today was just a Bike ride in the evening of 13.2 miles. Hit a PB on a segment of the ride which I was happy about. Other than that, it was a good ride. My right knee is really bothering me at this point. May have to see a Dr. Not excited for that at all. I'm afraid of what he might recommend.

Top Top

Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:02 pm

Master Masters Athlete

The last few days have been rest except for golf on Sunday. Legs are sore and tired, feel like crap...no energy. Back is sore and tired. I'm a mess. Got to the gym today and followed my wife's advice and did a light lift. Lots of reps with fairly light weights.

Seated Rows 4x20x120 Felt easy.
Bench Press 4x20x135 Last two sets were hard....really hard.

Felt good afterwards, but I think I'm doing too much. Weight is not helping. Any weight that I lost I've gained back...eating habits are bad....have no energy to change. Maybe I really need rest....any thoughts out there. Thanks ahead of time.

Top Top

Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:06 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Rode for an easy 12.7 miles this morning. The last mile and a quarter I put the hammer down. Felt good to go fast. Average about 19 mph for about 4 minutes, hitting a top speed of 22.4. Felt strong and a lot better than the previous days. Go to camp with our football team for three days starting tomorrow at 4:45 am....ugh...don't know how the ole body is going to handle that...lol.

Top Top

Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:20 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Body is finally recovering from 3 days of football camp. On my feet for 7-8 hours a day...pretty tired when I got home. Played golf on Sunday and that was a chore. Wanted to ride yesterday but really the legs were not into it. Today I went to the gym and did the following:

Lat Pulls 3x15x90 30 seconds rest
Seated Rows 3x15x140 30 seconds rest
Bench Press 3x15x135 30 seconds rest
Incline DB Press 3x15x40s 30 seconds rest

Felt better after the lift. Legs are still tired and my right knee is still very sore. See the Dr. on Friday....will probably get a Stem Cell treatment....see how that goes. Will probably need a few weeks rest to give it a chance to work. Will try to get upper body lifts in.

Top Top

Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:22 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Hey Dan,
Check with the doctor on a procedure called Platelet rich plasma (PRP) for treating injuries.

Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:02 am

Master Masters Athlete

Thanks Tony,

It's really what I'm doing. PRP is Stem Cell Therapy. The Dr I'm seeing has been doing this for about 15 years...long before it's become SOP. People come to him from all over the world and he worked with athletes from the 2012 Olympic Team. He's the one who told me that I didn't need bilateral knee replacement...5 years later I'm still functioning, although sometimes better than others.

Dan

Top Top

Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:48 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Hey Dan,
I think you were going to see the dr on Friday. How did that go?
Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:33 am

Master Masters Athlete

Tony,

Saw the Dr. On Friday. Got a shot in both knees. Actually feel much better today than before. Dr said I can start training again in 3--4 days. Thought that was pretty quick, but I'll go with it. The Dr I see has been doing this for a long time. You wouldn't believe his client list. Has pics all over his wall. Can't tell you what he uses in his shots as I would be banned for life....lol.....but it works.

Thanks for asking,

Dan

Top Top

Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:24 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Knees feel pretty good today, so I went to the gym and did the following:

Bench Press 15x135, 12x150, 10x165, 8x180 30 seconds rest
Incline DB Press 15, 8, 6, 6x40s 30 seconds rest. Tried to get more reps but the arms and chest were very tired after the Bench Press.
Seated Machine Flys 4x10x75

Overall, a good workout. Chest was totally spent. Will do Back tomorrow. Maybe try the Bike for a short ride, but will probably wait till Wednesday to get some cardio.

Top Top

Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:14 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Knees still feel good so I played golf and then went to the gym and did the following:

30 seconds rest between sets and 90 seconds between exercises.
Lat Pulls 15x90, 12x100, 10x110, 8x120
Reverse Grip Pull Downs 15, 12, 10, 8x90
One Arm Rows 4x10x40

Good work as I was in a full sweat when done. Will try riding with the Boys tomorrow and see how my knees feel. Try to get 12-13 miles in....hope it goes well.

Top Top

Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:04 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Rode this am for 8.9 miles. Would have gone further but Bike broke down. Played golf this afternoon for 9 holes. No lifting today, will get back to that tomorrow.

Top Top

Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:03 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Body has been a wreck the last few weeks. Rode the Bike today for 7.4 miles and felt much better. I have ridden only 4 times in the last 4 weeks. Part of that has been my knees and now my lower back is in distress, but it felt better after the ride. It's been really hot here in FL, going to the upper 90s the last week. Got to expect the heat but it's been hotter than usual for here. With my body hurting and the heat I haven't been working out. Lifted only a 6 times in the last 4 weeks. Today was the 1st day I felt good. I will try to get back into the swing of things. Need to get at least 4-5 rides per week in to help with weight control, and try to get my lifts in. Just have felt really bad but when I workout, I feel good again. Try to make it two in a row tomorrow.

Top Top

Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:06 pm

Master Masters Athlete

It's been brutally hot. Bike was in the shop. Got a Chest workout today.

30 seconds rest between set and 90 between exercises.

Bench Press. 15x135, 12x150, 10x165, 8x180
Incline DB Press 15, 12, 10, 8x40s
Machine Flys 4x10x85

Tried this workout a couple of weeks ago and really couldn't finish it. Today I felt strong. Overall, a good day.......for once.

Top Top

Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:46 am

Master Masters Athlete

Hey Dan,
I was curious to your nutritional regimen. Do you stick to a specific diet plan? Do you take supplements? Pre-workout, post-workout, protein. vitamins, etc..?

I take a multivitamin and additional C everyday. I also have been experimenting with different pre and post workout shakes. I also try to eat pretty clean and healthy, no fast food.

The one thing I have not been able to find is something to take prior to track interval training. The drinks do not sit well with the intense workouts.

Anyway,

Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:56 am

Master Masters Athlete

Tony,

My eating habits are all over the place right now. I was really good for about a year and a half following Atkins. Ate clean, plenty of fruits and veggies, lots of water and lost weight. Stayed there after my surgery for quite a long time. Got to last September and started eating anything I wanted to eat and still worked out. Thought working hard would be a bad diet....not. I'm not to the point of starting over, but I am a few pounds over were I would like to be at this point. If I can just follow what I know works for me, I'd be OK. Problem is that I really like to eat....which wasn't bad on Atkins because they don't want you to be hungry, just be aware of what goes in your mouth, just follow the plan. If I stay committed to Atkins, I know that I will be alright. I've had three cardiologists tell me to stay on Atkins, but I find a way to screw that up. Right now , I'm trying to get consistent workouts as the heat down here has been suffocating. Didn't ride today as we had some early storms and didn't get out....maybe after dinner.

Thanks for asking, and any input would help.

Dan

Top Top