masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:55 am

Master Masters Athlete

I've been feeling lazy the last few days. Rested yesterday. Went to the gyn this AM and rode the Recumbant Bike for a total of 25 minutes. The 1st 5 minutes was strictly a warmup. The next 11 minutes was a series of 4x2x30 seconds with 30 seconds rest between reps and 90 seconds between sets. The last 9 minutes was a cooldown. Really had the HR going on sets 3 and 4. Was a good workout. Legs could also feel the work. Will try for a second workout later today if I can muster the strength.

Top Top

Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:39 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Went to the gym tonight and warmed up on the Recumbant Bike for 10 minutes. Tried the following lifts to see if I could do them without any stress:

Bench Press 3x10x135
Lat Pulls 3x10x90

The lifts were done by lifting in one second and lowering the weight in 3 seconds. Took 30 seconds rest between sets. Was amazed at how pumped I got. Didn't do legs as I thought that it may put too much stress on the ABs. Try legs next week....maybe. It's still only 4+ weeks after surgery and I don't want to screw up my recovery.....although I really feel pretty good. Will use light weight to start.

Top Top

Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:45 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Got my last workout in today before I head north for a few days for Grandson's 1st Communion. Rode 7.6 miles in 28:03. Just a steady ride with 5 accelerations of about 90 seconds. Hopefully I will be able to get a walk or two while in PA and NJ.....maybe a lift at the club I used last Spring.

Top Top

Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:28 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Got a decent amount of exercise yesterday walking around NYCity. Must have walked about 3 miles. Will see if I can get any more work while up north Hope to get back Monday afternoon......just in time for Spring FB practice to begin in FL.

Top Top

Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:57 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Got back to FL yesterday....just in time for practice. Today I got a walk of about 1.5 miles. Will try to get a Bike ride in the AM before practice and then see if I can get a walk in the evening. See the Dr. on Friday and hope to get the all clear to go back to regular training....lifting and the Bike. We'll see what happens.

Top Top

Mon May 06, 2013 6:21 pm

Master Masters Athlete

After traveling for several days and then getting company from up North, I'm finally getting back to training. The Dr. gave me the OK to start lifting....but I should start light and try not to over do it.....lol. The PA was a female that doesn't understand the whole working out thing. She told me no one my age should lift more than 30-40 pounds as it might cause another hernia....????

Today I went to the gym, and did the following:

Warm up on the Recumbent Bike for 10 minutes.
All lifts were done with a 1 second lift and 3 seconds lowering with 30 seconds between sets.
Leg Press 4x10x225
Incline DB Press 4x10x35s
Lat Pulls 4x10x105
Upright DB Rows 4x10x20s
10 minutes on the Recumbent Bike

I should be sufficiently sore tomorrow as I can feel my whole body from the workout.

Top Top

Tue May 07, 2013 9:13 am

Master Masters Athlete

If soreness is an indication of muscle growth...then I should be growing a lot. My whole body is sore from yesterday's workout. Went for an easy 7.9 mile ride on the Bike in 28:13. Just rode easy to try an get the stiffness out. It didn't work. See how I feel later in the day.

Top Top

Tue May 07, 2013 9:20 am

Master Masters Athlete

Fidel,

How's the Rehab coming? Are you walking without the cane and have you found a Bike to workout on yet? Hope you are well.

Dan

Top Top

Wed May 08, 2013 5:56 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Sooo sore today.....worst then yesterday. Went to the gym tonight and did the following:

Recumbent Bike for 10 minutes.
All Lifts were 1 second up and 3 seconds down. All very controlled. Will try all my workouts this way for a while.
Machine DeadLifts 4x10x180
Incline DB Flys 4x10x20s
Tri Press Downs 4x10x65
Machine Curls 4x10x50
Recumbent Bike for 10 minutes. Pushed the tempo and finished hard.

Actually felt pretty good after the workout. Stiffness has dissipated once the muscles got warmed up. See how I feel tomorrow. Will try for a ride outside and see how it goes.

Top Top

Fri May 10, 2013 5:42 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Took yesterday off as a rest day. Today was an active day. Played 18 holes of golf this AM and then went to the gym and did the following:

All lifts were 1 second lifting and 3 seconds lowering with 30 seconds between sets and about 90 seconds between exercises.
Leg Press 4x12x230
Incline DB Press 4x12x35s
Lat Pulls 2x10x110, 10x100, 10x95

Went to Football practice and wilted in the heat. Wanted to get a Bike ride in this evening....but was too tired. Will get a ride in tomorrow.

Top Top

Sat May 11, 2013 7:42 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Hey Dan,
It sounds like you are making a fast recovery from the surgery. Keep up the good work.
Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun May 12, 2013 5:02 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Tony,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have been slacking the last couple of weeks. I can blame travel and company....but I slacked off. Part of that, is I know I can't compete this Summer, too close to the surgery and not enough time to get ready. I'm shooting for next indoor season. Hope I can get going as I did last year getting ready for that surgery....hope my body stays together.

Dan

Top Top

Sun May 12, 2013 5:07 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Today's workout was a Bike ride. Rode 8.2 miles in 32:44. Just an easy ride with 10 x 45-50 second accelerations hitting a top speed of 24.5 mph. Had a good workout. Tomorrow is the start of my second week of strength training in my new program. I will try to add a new exercise to each area and see how that goes. My new schedule will be 3 days of lifting and 3-4 days of Bike riding. See if I can maintain this program and continue to gain.

Top Top

Mon May 13, 2013 8:34 am

Master Masters Athlete

danw34 wrote:
Fidel,

How's the Rehab coming? Are you walking without the cane and have you found a Bike to workout on yet? Hope you are well.

Dan

Hi Dan,

I just realized I hadn't checked the board in awhile. Thanks for asking about my rehab. Things are improving. No more cane, can almost walk without a limp and my knee flexes a bit more. Last week's xrays show the tip of the fibula hasn't connected to the rest of it so I have to take it easy. So, no weighted leg curls or running yet. I also had rib xrays and found out that instead of breaking 2 ribs (as I was told in the ER), I broke 4 and maybe 5 ribs. So, no wonder I still have pain 3.5 months later.

For now, it's lots of squats, straight leg raises, walking, and rubber band exercises. I don't have a bike yet but use the stationary bike at PT. Next doc appt is in July and I hope he gives me the okay to jog.

Top Top

Mon May 13, 2013 5:43 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Fidel,

Sounds like you are progressing slowly, but steadily. Injuries like you had can dampen your spirit, but not extinguish it. Keep hanging in there and follow the Drs. orders. Take it slow, so that when you can go full speed you'll be stronger than before. You will be back!!!

Dan

Top Top