masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:26 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Today is my 1 year injury anniversary. No pain anymore and thankful I can run a 3:15 800m in training. Also thankful I still have the ability to improve.

Top Top

Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:50 am

Master Masters Athlete

Your injury is probably seeming like its ages ago. Good to see that you are still improving. I think that you have come along long way in your recovery. You have been tested and now you are proving your metal. Keep charging ahead. Your dreams are there for you to grasp.

Top Top

Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:01 am

Master Masters Athlete

Good news and bad news at the Drs yesterday. Good news is that I can start to walk, but no golf or Bike for the next few weeks. Lifting is out for another 4 weeks and then light lifting to start.....obviously. Doc wants me to live life.....so to speak. The bad news is that with the several surgeries that I've had, I am a candidate for additional hernias. Dr thinks it would be best if I didn't throw the shot or Jav as it puts undo pressure on the weaken abdominal area. Now I'm at a cross road, my knees are not up to a lot of running and my ABs are not good either....maybe it's time to be put out to pasture....lol. I've been thinking that if I really get serious about the weight and get below 200....closer to 185....I might be able to try to short distances....100/200. Very depressed about the whole situation. That and my blood pressure has been all over the place for the last month....and today I'm retiring from coaching football after 44 years. A lot going on, which has been causing me a lot of stress.

Top Top

Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:17 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Hey Guys,
I have not been on here for awhile.

Fidel -looks like you are recovering well. I really did not think it possible after watching your video of the injury. Way to go.

Dan,
Hang in there. You are strong and determined. I don't think anything will slow you down long term.

Tony
Coachtonysprintcoach.com

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:30 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Thankss Tonyb. I appreciate the kind words. Still a long way to go.

Dan: keep your chin up. It's easy to get discouraged but knowing you, you're not going down without a fight. Your body will heal and will start cooperating. One thing I feel you have control over is your weight. Lower it and you'll start feeling better.

Top Top

Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:05 pm

Master Masters Athlete

fidel wrote:
Thankss Tonyb. I appreciate the kind words. Still a long way to go.

Dan: keep your chin up. It's easy to get discouraged but knowing you, you're not going down without a fight. Your body will heal and will start cooperating. One thing I feel you have control over is your weight. Lower it and you'll start feeling better.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:48 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Got over my mental funk today. Haven't done a lick of work in 4 weeks. Today, I went out on the Bike for the 1st time since the surgery. I went a total of 6.5 miles. A very steady ride and broke a nice sweat. Blood Pressure was OK after the ride....actually lower than when I started. It's really been up and down that last 7-8 weeks. I think some of it was telling the HC I wasn't coaching and the surgery and what the Dr said. A lot of stuff. After the ride, I feel like I did something. I will ride a couple of days a week for the next several weeks and gradually add more. I have a plan to get back in shape and I'm going to do it. Try to lose the weight and get back to sprinting which was the original goal....see what happens.

Top Top

Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:30 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Got an easy 7.9 miles in on the Bike today. Very windy. Suppose to get colder here in sunny SW FL.....only a high tomorrow of 70....lol. Fidel and BMo, you'll have to visit to get that warm for the next few months. Tony....maybe you too....being in the Panhandle and getting some cold weather also.

Feeling much better. Took BP after riding and that was better than yesterday. Maybe I need some exercise to get back into the fold.

Top Top

Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:35 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Wind was very strong today(15-25). Rode 7.9 miles with speeds of 11-13-18 mph depending on the wind. Weight is coming down which is good. Felt pretty good afterwards.

Top Top

Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:20 pm

Master Masters Athlete

8.8 miles on the Bike today with 8x30 seconds with a 60 second rest. Didn't push high gears just worked on tempo. Really felt it in the legs. I want to get two sessions a week of interval training in a week to help get the legs ready. Weight holding steady or dropping a bit. Trying to lose the weight before I start with running drills. Want to lose 15 lbs. 1st and then see where I am.

Top Top

Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:56 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Took Saturday as a rest day and rode 11.5 miles today in a strong and steady ride. Felt good throughout the ride and had a lot in the tank at the end. Will try to keep pace this week with two interval days and one longer ride (long for me) and two training days. Should be able to start light lifting next week.

Top Top

Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:20 am

Master Masters Athlete

Hey Dan,

I was catching up on your post and just caught the part about you retiring from coaching after 44 years. Although it does not sound like you are truly happy about it, I am sure it is well deserved. Take some time for yourself and your training.

And Yes, it has been very cold here in the panhandle. We actually had bridges and roads closed a couple of weeks ago. This area is just not equipped for the ice and snow.

Keep up the good work,

Tony
coachtonysprintcoach.com

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:08 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Tony,

My wife has been patiently waiting for many years on Fridays and Saturdays for me. Maybe it's time that I spend some time with her. You are right though as I still would like to coach. See how some time away will be. Maybe I won't miss it..........then again........maybe it's who I am.

Dan

Top Top

Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:13 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Did a speed workout today on the Bike. Warmed up for 7-8 minutes and then did 3x3x30 seconds on the Bike with 1 minute rest between reps and 3-4 minutes between sets. Was a good workout. Thighs were shot afterwards. Blood pressure was better today then in a long time after the workout. Tomorrow will be an easy ride. Weight is still coming along nicely. Trying to lose slowly and not all at once......see how it comes along.

Top Top

Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:38 pm

Master Masters Athlete

danw34 wrote:
Tony,

My wife has been patiently waiting for many years on Fridays and Saturdays for me. Maybe it's time that I spend some time with her.

Hey Dan,
Good Idea!

Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWW