masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:41 am

Master Masters Athlete

Went back to the rode bike today. Had a great ride for a total of 8.6 miles in 31:38. Best time by far for that distance and course.( Averaging under 4 minutes per mile) The 1st 5.1 miles is a course that I use alot and my time was 18:28, again a best by about 1:28. I still can't get over the fact that I am better on the bike now then before the surgery. Legs feel strong and breathing is not a problem. If I can get some of the morning stiffness out of the knees, running would be the next step. I think I'll wait till September though.

Top Top

Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:29 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Was going to get a long ride in tooday ( for me about 10 miles), but got caught in thunder storms after 7.3 miles. Time was 26:28. Got about 3/4s of the ride in before lightning here in sunny SW FL started. Got out of the weather just in time. Felt really strong and was not trying to set records, just a strong ride. Today was a good day of training.

Top Top

Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:05 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Played golf this morning. Felt well afterwards and then this evening went for a ride. Rode 9.4 miles in a steady strong ride. Time was 35:21. Started out slow as I really didn't know how far I would ride. Felt sluggish to start. After about 10 minutes, I got into a rythm and just kept going. Really felt good at the end of the ride. No sprint at the end, but a strong ride no the less. Today was a good day. I know that the bike doesn't equal srinting, but it's what I have for now till I lose some more weight and get my strength back. I think it is giving me a strong cardio base so when I transition to running, I will be in bettert shape to handle the work load. Any thoughts by anyone. Weight is hanging around 215. Need to totally heal before I get back to losing. Will start on Sunday to try to cut more weight.

Top Top

Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:59 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Have been going to the gym with my wife and getting her started on her own fitness plan. While she lifts, I warm up on the recumbant bike. Got 2 miles warm up before I hit the road for my ride. I think it helps. I rode 10.1 miles tonight in 37:40, averaging 16.2 mph with a top speed of 20.4 in the last 1/2 mile. Felt strong through out the ride. This was by far the furthest I've ridden to date. The previous longest ride was 42 minutes but only got in 8.2 miles. I've come along way since I've started but still have a long way to go. Will be traveling next week on a mini vacation in the Smokey Mts. Hope to get some hiking in and maybe a little climbing. We'll see. Will start with some light lifting when I get back. Weight is still around the 215 mark, which I don't think is bad considering I'm eating pretty much anything. I still try to keep it as clean as possible, but I'm not limiting carbs. Just don't want to get out of hand with it.

Top Top

Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:35 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Went for speed today on the 4.1 Time Trial course. Rode it in 14:54. Tried to sprint at the end in the last 1/2 mile and my legs just couldn't follow through. I guess the last few days of longer miles and faster tempos caught up with me. Finished with a cool down of 1.4 miles. Will try again tomorrow before going on a mini vacation.

Top Top

Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:07 am

Master Masters Athlete

Warmed up with 2 miles on the recumbant bike, Then 7.4 miles on the road bike in 27:15. Was very tired today. Was all I could do to get through the workout. This was 8 days in a row. I need a break and will take a few days as we will be headed to the Smokey Mts. till Thursday. Hopefully a little hiking and some rest. See how I feel when we get back. Started with the diet again today after a few social beers with the boys last night....well maybe more than a few....lol.

Top Top

Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:02 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Returned from, a mini vacation and feel terrible. All I did was eat and drink and ride around in the car for 6 days. The Smokies were great. Need to see them if you haven't already. Weighed in when we got home and was stunned.....226. Tomorrow I go back to to fresh dead meat and grass cuttings....lol. Went to the gym and started lifting for the 1st time in 6 weeks.

Machine Bench Press 4x12x135
Incline DB Press 3x12x30s
Incline DB Flys 3x10x15
Lat Pulls 4x12x90

Can't believe how weak I felt. Lost alot in 6 weeks, but hopefully I can recover quickly. Rode the recumbant bike for about 10 minutes, and easy 2 miles. Just spinning to get the legs going a bit. Need to have a great day tomorrow and get back to proper eating again. Came too far to lose it.

Top Top

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:59 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Strength Traning
Leg Press - 4x12x225 Just getting back

Recumbant Bike 25 minutes, 6.1 miles

Rained here in sunny SW FL, but got a workout in. Felt OK. Need to get back to a normal schedule.

Top Top

Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:12 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Tired and sluggish today. Hope I'm not coming down with something. Road bike today before the storms hit for 6.5 miles in 24:45. Just a steady ride today. Lower back has not been the same since I rode in the car for 6 days. Been to the chiropractor but so far it hasn't gotten better. Will try to rest it as much as I can but still get a workout done.

Top Top

Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:08 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Today was productive for me. Played 9 holes of golf this morning. Would have played 18, but my back was cramping up and I stopped. Rested this afternoon and this evening broke up my riding into 2 segments. The 1st was the 3.9 mile loop in 14:06. Not bad. Previous time was 13:59. Close but no cigar. Started out slow and got faster as I want. Could have been alot faster. The 2nd was the 4.1 mile time trial loop in 14:21. This beat my previous best of 14:38. Couldn't drive the finish like I wanted too, but still was strong throughout the ride. Finished with 1.4 miles cool down. Felt good today to get that kind of work done. Tomorrow I will get back to strength training and a bike ride. Legs feel good, but I'm going to hold off on running till August late or September.

Top Top

Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:55 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Gave my legs a rest today.

Strength Training
Machine Bench Press 12, 10, 8, 6x135, 10 seconds rest. 30 sec. rest 12x135
Incline DB Press 4x12x30s
Incline Flys 4x8x15s
Tri Push Downs 12, 8x75, 12, 8x60

Recumbant Bike for 2 miles. Easy spinning to just loosen up the legs.

Not a bad day. Just enough to get the heart rate up.

Top Top

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:42 pm

Master Masters Athlete

My wife is making sure I don't lift too hard after surgery. So while we worked out together, this is what I did today in the gym:
Leg Press 12, 10, 8, 8, 10, 12x225 with 10 seconds rest. The last set started to get hard.
Lat Pulls 4x10x100
Close Grip LPs 3x10x90
In & Out Bi Curls 16x20s, 16x15s

Road Bike 10.1 miles in a strong and steady 37:44. Previous best time was 37:40. Was close and could have gone faster in sevral areas that I didn't keep the tempo up (traffic and adjusting the seat....). Should have ridden faster, but still a good day. Weight is back down to 218. Eating better, so the weight should come off.....I hope.

Top Top

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:08 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Rested yesterday. Today was a good training day for me.

Gym - 1 mile on the recumbant bike warm up.
DB Sumo Squat and Press - 2 x 8x 20s
DB Power Cleans - 2x8x20s
Lateral Pulls( each side) 4x8x50
Resistance Walking ( all Directions)
Front 8x70
Back 8x70
Left Side 4x70
Right Side 4x70
Seated Rows 8x120, 160, 200 ( I think the weights on the machine were light)

Road Bike - 9.3 miles in 34:45. Good steady ride. It was only 94 and windy, so I think it was a really good ride for me. Kind of tired by the end, But a good day.

Top Top

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:43 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Today was a rest day from the gym, Just rode the bike.

My ride was 10.1 miles and I was determined to ride well. Time was 37:09 beating my previous best of 37:40. Felt really strong and finished the last 1/2 mile really pushing the time. Hit a top speed of 21 mph which is also a new high for me while averaging 16.4 mph. I wish I could run that fast...lol. My weight is still holding around 215, but my clothes are fitting differently. Ready to take in a new Knotch on the belt. Maybe tomorrow I'll try some warm up drills for running afer my ride ( A Skips, B Skips, etc.).

Top Top

Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:54 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Took the last 2 days off except for 18 holes of golf each day. Played golf 6 out of the last 7 days. Body is really sore from swinging the clubs. Went to the chiro today to get back wrenched on and it hurt. Was contemplating not working out but got on the bike tonight and started easy and built to a strong tempo through out the ride. At the end I was flying and driving to the finish. My legs were sore and giving out , but I kept going for it. 10.1 miles in 26:22, my best time by 47 seconds. I averaged 16.7 mph ( a new best for that distance ) and a top speed of 19.7 ( less then before but overall speed was much faster). I was really tired at the end and my thighs were burning ( like finishing a 400 ). Weight is up a little as I have been socializing to much ( beer and cookouts). I will get back to good eating and try to build on what I have accomplished so far. Weight room tomorrow for sure and plyo drills to see where I am and how I feel.

Top Top