masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:01 am

Senior Masters Athlete

I'm in the process of trying to teach myself to throw Javelin, in order to compete in some Pentathlons.

I figured it wouldn't be TOO hard as I had little problem picking up SP with no instruction, and mostly taught myself to throw discus.

Well, after a couple weeks of playing with it - it's definitely more difficult than expected, and I'm not making much progress.

I'm throwing with no run-up, still having about 1/3 not turn over, and only getting in the 15-20 meter range for distance. I realistically need to get up over 30m to be competitive in the Pentathlon.

So I'm looking for any advice, suggestions, tips, links, videos... ANYTHING anyone can suggest to get me a little more up to speed throwing the javelin.

Thanks

Top Top

Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:26 am

Master Masters Athlete

Not a perfect throw, but video yourself and compare stills with: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... tt7435.jpg
Most likely you'll find improvements. Important things, stay closed as long as possible and let your arm come as late as possible, picture 1 and 2. In fact you throw with your body, not with your arm, the arm movement is on top of many other movements. With a runup, even a slow one, try to land with both feet at the same time. This is not really possible but when the left foot lands shortly after the right you get a better block. Do not bend much in the elbow, both for throwing far and for preventing injuries. And when you reach that 30 meter mark, ask for further advice on http://disc.yourwebapps.com/Indices/109718.html

Top Top
  Profile WWW