masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:26 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

I am a newbie to this. As I approach 56 (8/13), I am looking for others ways to be competitive and remain fit. I have been running (sprint work mainly) and weight training 3-5 days per week since school finished in June - I teach high school.

I have looked at the Senior games in my state - NH - but they begin on 8/19. Anyway, I am looking for training information for the 50m and 100m sprints. I think I can handle these two distances. I am not a track athlete...baseball and soccer mostly in college. Pick up hoops only. Not looking to win gold just want to be competitive and be in with the pack.

Websites or personal training information for these events would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

POP

Top Top

Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:16 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Hey Poppy, I am new too and 56 too. After 37 years I have begun to get back in shape for throwing Shot and Discus. 37 years is a long time and everyday I am reminded that I am not in College anymore. :lol: . In discus I have finally gotten to the point where I don't fall over after throws and can even stay in the ring sometimes. :oops: Most of my efforts will be aimed at getting stronger without weights, increasing balance and flexibility. You are right, it is a fun way to get in shape and live life more fully. Looking forward to learning more about training and injury protection.
Vik

Discus 1.5K 32.00M Stand throw

Top Top

Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:13 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I too am trying to get back to competition after 17 years. Using the bike and some running drills to get the body back in shape along with lifting. Want to get down to 200 1st. Weight as of today is 214. Started this journey at 248. Hopefully by December I'll be under 200 and then start to get serious about 60-200m. Strength gains are the the fastest way to get better at your events. Find a good strength coach and work your drills accordingly and you'll make progress.

Good Luck.

Dan

Top Top

Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:14 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

I can relate Poppy and BigViking. I'm 56 and just started pole vaulting and sprinting last month after a 38 year lay off. The only advice I got so far was to go slow and have fun.

Top Top

Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:40 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I've been distance running for the last few years - 10K's, half marathons and my first full marathon. I'd like to start training for track events. Any suggestions? I haven't found a training group in my area.

Top Top

Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:35 pm

Master Masters Athlete

It looks like most of your training so far has been aerobic in nature for the long runs. However, distance training has probably helped you build a pretty good base to build on. Sprinting (60m-400m) is more of an anaerobic event and is more about technique. You will use lots of drills to improve technique and tons of short repeats to build speed. You may be better suited for the (800m-10k) distances with you past experience. Good luck, take it slow, and have fun.
Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWW