masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:12 am

Senior Masters Athlete

First, I am not sure if I am suffering from overtraining, but I suspect that I am.

After a moderately successful running career in high school, college, and as a young man in my 20s, I laid off from running in my 30s and 40s. A few years ago, I decided I wanted to get back into shape, and ran my first race in over 18 years in 2011, a 23:00 5k. I later improved to 20:55 in spring of 2012, but have not been able to improve that much, running a few 5ks in the 21:00 range, with a 12:38 2-mile and a 12:05 3K this summer.

I was averaging about 30 miles per week, and during the spring and summer I mixed in some interval work (400 repeats in the 1:30 range, 800s - 3:10, 1200s -5:00), but never exceeded 4800 meters interval totals (e.g., 4x1200 or 6x800 on a given day).

Starting in late September, I dropped intervals from my training, and concentrated on increasing my mileage to about 35 miles per week by exclusively doing long runs (4 to 6 miles, at a 7 to 8 minute pace).

I am meticulous with my running log, always noting time, pace, distance and course. Lately I have noticed that I am struggling to maintain an 8 minute pace, even for 3 or 4 miles. It is fair to say that I do feel sluggish, but I also have moments during the run where I feel good and energized. Nevertheless, I suspect that I have overtrained or am overtraining.

In reading various articles, I've noted that my pace is perhaps too fast, and that I was doing intervals with too much frequency (usually twice per week, and sometimes 3 times per week). My problem is that if I am feeling good, or if I see a jogger or another runner in the distance, the former competitive runner in me instinctively drives me to push hard.

I guess my question is two fold. Am I really experiencing symptoms of overtraining, and if so, what is the best way to recover? Do I take time off completely from running, or should I simply just do real easy runs until I recover? The other issue is, aside from training for competition, perhaps more importantly I use my running as a means of relief from job stress, etc. So, I would prefer not to stop running altogether.

Thanks.

Top Top

Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:03 am

Master Masters Athlete

You may not be over trained but stale in your workouts. Try adding some overall strength training to your workouts twice a week along with your once a week speed training. An increase in strentgh will help you immensely and help you break through your barriers. Find a gym that has Certified Strength Trainers and let them know what you are trying to accomplish. They should be able to help.

Top Top

Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:49 am

Senior Masters Athlete

danw34 wrote:
You may not be over trained but stale in your workouts. Try adding some overall strength training to your workouts twice a week along with your once a week speed training. An increase in strentgh will help you immensely and help you break through your barriers. Find a gym that has Certified Strength Trainers and let them know what you are trying to accomplish. They should be able to help.

Hadn't thought about being stale. That seems to be a valid observation. I'll look into the strength training. Thanks.

Top Top

Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:58 am

Master Masters Athlete

I'd add light plyometrics and hill repeats. Along with your long runs that should help make the pace seem easier.

Top Top