masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:44 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Thanks to my son falling in love with track last year in 7th grade, I have been working out for the first time in years. My goal is to run in some senior track events next summer probably the 400 meters but if time allows the 100 & 200 also.

52 year old male, 6 ft. 2", 205 lbs. Really started watching what I eat including alot of greek yogurt and chocolate milk.

1)Using a "power tower" as follows:

Full dead hang pullups (no swinging) 6, 6, & 6-8 with knee raises in between 15, 15, & 30
Pushups 15, 15, & 30 with squats in between 15, 15, & 30

Finally, dips 8, 8, & 12

2) Running a hill 300 meters long with a rise of 70 feets three times, walking back down to recover. Average time 1:20 to 1:30. I have never been able to run long distances. I love the fast workout I can get running the hill. When winter hits here, I will have to substitute the hill with our elliptical in the basement.

3) I am probably one of the most inflexible human beings on earth, always have been. I have a DVD call "Yoga For Inflexible People" but have not tried it yet.

4) Usually take a full day off after one day of lifting and another day of running. Never run and lift on the same day.

Funny thing is I have been doing this since May and have never timed myself at any of the 100, 200, 400 distances so I have no idea if I am even close to competing at this level.

Let me know what you think. Any advice is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Top Top

Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:35 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Feel in love with track in the 9th grade myself Had a good career and competed till I was 48 Several surgeries later I am trying to get back into the groove again. Haven't competed since 48 Now 65 and trying to get back Knees aren't good so I'm riding the bike for cardio and starting to run on the treadmill two times a week What you are doing is fine I truly believe in strength training as a means of getting back Get as much of that as you can and continue to do speed and hills as a way to get better Speed is the 1st thing thar goes as we get older you can't do what you did as a 20 year old, but you can improve Once you get a foundation, start to test yourself in your workouts I have been involved in S&C on the college level for years and my grad research paper was in the effects of strength training and time of performance over 400 meters. Great believer in lifting and speed work to improve performance.

Top Top

Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:10 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Thanks Danw34! Best of luck in your comeback!!!

Top Top

Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:20 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Happy February!

Just a bump of my post from November, hoping more of you are online and getting Spring Fever!! I would appreciate any suggestions you have since I am a "rookie" at all of this.

Do any of you do Yoga? I don't know why I have such a mental block in doing stretching exercises! I can run that hill in 18 degree weather but can't make myself stretch!!!

Thanks for helping an old rookie!!!

Bob

Top Top

Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:07 pm

Master Masters Athlete

You probably have a stretching mental block because stretching takes time and effort. Most people don't have that kind of time and just want to get into the workout. But, it has to be done. Most elites do a pre-workout stretch/drill routine before getting into the workout. This prevents injuries and also acts as a workout. I don't believe in static stretching. I mainly do PNF stretching which I heard about in a Michael Johnson interview: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PNF_stretching.

Take it slow and happy sprinting.

Top Top

Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:49 pm

Master Masters Athlete

What Fidel said. He's been doing this a long time. Go slow. Variety. Get some races in. Give your body time to recuperate. Make sure to be nice and hot before high level efforts to avoid injury. Weights are great adlunct to sprinting. I'm a big fan of deadlifts with the Hex bar. Have fun!

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:33 am

Master Masters Athlete

Glad to see someone else on the comeback trail as well. As already stated - Go Slow! I made the mistake of rushing back when I first started and ended up with a partial tear in my calf. Lesson learned.

I now spend 5-10 minutes on my foam roller (black) before I enter my "active" stretching routine which lasts about 30 minutes. I have not been injured since

I never do any of the "classic" static stretches.......my personal experience with these is that it sets you up for pulled hammies.

Anyway, yoga seems to me to be more "active" in nature and is probably a good way to increase flexibility.....so just be patient with it. More importantly...always take the time to complete a full "active" stretch routine before you start your sprint workout.

You can take a look at my "AceBond drive..." thread for ideas on active stretching.

Hope to see you in Landover for the Indoor Championships.

Masters (M40) personal bests
TJ - 11.97m
LJ - 5.36m
HJ - 1.50m
60m - 7.97s
60m H - 10.98s
200m - 26.70s

Top Top