masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:51 am

Junior Masters Athlete

John,

I've seen your name come up in various results. Hope your shoulder heals.

Tom Fahey,

I wholeheartedly agree that technique is the major factor in discus throwing. I did just what you suggested and have viewed videos of the world class throwers many times. I try to note what is common between the throwers and check myself as best as possible. That's the one good thing about Masters events, you've got no time limit on improving technique.

I have drawn a ring in the basement for winter practice, but have not put it fully to use. Any suggestions for ring training without really throwing or feedback on the flight and distance of the discus?

Top Top

Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:34 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Toby:

I train with John Powell at his camp during the summer and occasionally in Las Vegas. He uses a powerball (medicine ball with a built in handle) to do non-throwing drills. You can buy these on the track and field websites or from Dr Pataki (the great masters thrower).

You can get do incredible throwing workout with the ball in 10-15 minutes. The ball allows you to work on your footwork every day. A good drill is to do repeated spins on a running track (try to maintain a straight line. The secret to throwing far (so I'm told) is to accelerate the discus by moving your feet continuously and initiating the throwing motion with the lower body rather than the arm.

John Powell has a DVD that you can purchase on his website. The film shows simple drills you can do to improve your technique.

Tom Fahey

Top Top

Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:19 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Hi all-I am about the become a 55-60 discus thrower-I've been back to it for three years now-this season was a disappointment-no improvement with a lot of winter weight training and spring/fall throwing-I just became more consistant at 38M-I would like to see some tips boiled down-

5 top exercises for discus (weights etc)
5 top technique tips

maybe there could be some polling on this.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:51 pm

Master Masters Athlete

The 1.5 discus is slightly smaller than a high school discus, so you have to resist the temptation to arm it. Your goal is to accelerate the discus through two elipses. You should try to "hold the x" as you turn. For right handed throwers, this means turning with your feet while holding the discus back by turning and holding your trunk and arm back toward your right hip (clockwise). Turn your left foot as much as you can in the back of the circle (holding the X without tightening the upper body).

Drive (sprint) across the circle using strong left and right leg drives. Make sure to get hips out in front. The right foot must turn vigorously as soon as it hits the center of the circle. You must turn the right foot over a bent right knee and ride the discus (settle). Try not to drift prematurely to your left leg. Rather, turn on your right leg. Let the the speed of your right foot turn dictate the carriage of the discus. Keep your shoulders level during the turns and resist the temptation to lift your left arm too high during the movement.

Think about throwing the discus in a straight line rather than artificially releasing it at a 40 degree angle with your arm. You will achieve this angle naturally when your post hard on your left leg at the front of the circle. it's amazing how the discus goes when you drive off the left, even though you attempt to release it in a line drive. Throughout the technique, let your legs and hips do the work and resist the temptation to lead the action with your arm. Stay with the discus and try to complete the circles.

Train with weights, do some plyometrics, and sprint, but don't get carried away. An important goal is to stay healthy so that you can throw.

As for drills, I suggest the following:

Standing throws (don't overdo these)

Right foot pivot and throw drills

South Africans

Float, float, stings (run up a football field doing 2-4 turns South African style and throw the discus during the last turn.

Throw light and heavy implements. I throw a 3 kg discus that has the same dimensions as a 2 kg discus. Also throw the 1 kg discus. You have to ride the 1 kg discus to throw it far. Also, if you can't throw a light discus 200 feet (or 140 or 150 feet), you can't expect to throw a heavier implement that far.

Do repeated turns on a track with a powerball. Try to stay in one lane and see how many turns you can do. Build up until you can do turns continuously for 50 to 100 meters.

Do hundreds of full turns with a powerball. You can do this in your garage and don't have to throw anything. These are exhausting and are good substitutes for sprinting because they are task specific.

Film your movements and study the technique. See Dan John's website for a free book on discus throwing called the Contrarian's guide to throwing the discus. (Danjohn.org) Dan also has great stuff on lifting and building whole body strength. Coach Mac's video website has about 100 free films showing most of the great throwers of the last 50 years.

Train 12 months a year. Old people can't afford to take time off. It is too easy to get hurt when you try to get in shape again. This doesn't mean you have to stay in peak shape— continue to throw and lift. If you live in cold places (most of the US), do non-throwing drills in the gym or garage.

Have fun. We have been given a second lease on life. Everytime I throw in competition (masters or open) I am grateful that I'm doing something I used to do 40 years ago. Cherish the moment!

Chico, CA 95929-0330
discusdoc@aol.com

Top Top

Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:14 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Throwers should see coach Mac's video site (www.macthrowvideo.com).

I downloaded about 45 minutes of throws from the top athletes since 1948 and put them on I Movie (mac) and I DVD. I plan to group specific throwers together and index them on the DVD. These computer programs are terrific tools for organizing technique videos. Much better than loop films.

USA Track and Field is another good site for purchasing DVDs showing performances in every T & F events at the Athens Olympics. They are inexpensive (about $10 per disk, which includes shipping).

Tom Fahey

Top Top