masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:14 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

I am 48, 192lbs (need to be 170 - had a kid three years ago). Sprinter. Bad knees. Bad back. But 4 years ago I could run a 55 400 and a 5:20 mile. The best training I ever did I discovered by accident:

[After good warmup] sprint the straights all out, trot the corners. 1 mile for sure; 2 if possible. Trotting the corners kept my knees juiced (as opposed to walking) and gave me a self-perception lift as well (still running).

The workout addresses both speed and endurance, and the sequence of quick and easily-attainable goals makes the pain somehow hurt less, though the effort is intense.

I'm on a lose-25-lbs in 25-weeks kick through training, trying to be ready for next season.

Brand new here. Focus, will, joy to all.

Top Top

Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:21 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Thanks for the info but I don't think that workout addresses speed. It's more of a speed-endurance/interval workout. Pure speed workouts require full recoveries. To run fast, one has to train fast which isn't possible with 100 jog recoveries.

Good luck with the weight loss and 2013.

Top Top

Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:46 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Hey, and thanks for the reply. The beauty of this workout is in continuous "all-out" as the attempted running speed while progressively encountering greater difficulty (mostly aerobically, though I found it great for 400 prep, too). It's a one-stop-shop for speed, endurance, strength, stamina.

You teach your body to run very fast and get used to continued-very-fast, no matter the distance.

Peace

Top Top

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:13 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

189. Another benefit I find is maximum effort with minimal knee-wear. The knees seem more juiced and happy, and maximum elongation/contraction better than long runs with shorter strides but almost all the pounding.

Best to all.

Top Top

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:41 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I may try this workout GemTx. I've been back running since 2010. Slowly geting back into shape. But I have come to realize that I need to re-teach my body how to run fast again. and I can only do this by actually running fast in training.

Top Top

Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:58 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Here's a similar workout that I picked up years ago and found it to work out great. Warm up as usual. Then do 4x100m. at 1600 pace with a turn around jog. Walk 100m. Run 2x100m. at 800 pace with turn around jog. Walk 100. 2x100m at 400 pace. Work out is done.

You want to talk about kicking in the lactic acid. The turn around jogs last about 20-25 seconds and right back to speed. The last 2 reps feel like your pushing 100%. Back in the day, I tried to run 15-16 seconds for the 1st 4 reps, 13 seconds for the next 2 reps, and under 12 seconds for the last 2 reps. Was pretty intense. Did this tpye of workout into my late 40's.

Top Top

Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:37 pm

Master Masters Athlete

So many ways to skin a cat. Stay healthy, have fun, run fast. My tenets. No question weight and strength are the key points. Gotta stay healthy to apply it to the track. Run long/hard enough and that reality becomes your reality.

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:50 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I am 49 and will turn 50 this year. I started sprinting in masters three years ago. When I was young I ran a lot distance races etc.

I can tell you that your routine will not increase maximal speed but obviously helps with speed endurance which is critical in the 400.

I compete in the 100 and 200.

I do one day a week of all out 10m 20 and 50m sprints. Maximal rest to insure every rep is full speed.

One day of repeat 100s, 200s or 300s depending on the week. I rest in between every rep when working at 80% of race speed the rest periods are 2 min for 100, 3 for 200, 5 for the 300. ON days I train at race speed I increase the rest to 10 minutes for a 100 and 20 for a 200 with only 3 to 4 reps in the total workout.

I find this all my body can handle I have arthritis in both knees so this is my total track work each week. I swim interval two days a week for conditioning and lift 4 times a week. On speed day I do plys and a few dead lifts etc. In the winter I do more lifting.

I am currently 6'3'' 234 pounds with a 10% body fat. My PR 100 in the last year is 12.82 so obviously I am not elite by any means.

Anyway any feed back anyone has on how much volume they can handle as a masters athlete would be great. My body does not seem to recover from any more than this very well.

Top Top
  Profile YIM

Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:26 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Hey fellow masters

GemTx- I have to agree with the other poster jogging a 100 is not nearly enough recovery. I understand your point of keeping the muscles and joints loose, it's just that speed work really requires full recovery so that your mechanics don't break down and you run fast while staying relaxed. I think if you up this workout to 1/2 mile or mile pace and than jogging the curves that would give you a good speed endurance workout.

Good luck

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:36 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Hey fastode

I am also turning 50 this summer and compete from the 200-3K. I hope your not running those 100's and 200's all out every week. That's just a little to much stress and risk of injury. Also that 20 minute rest is so long that your muscle will get cold and joints start to stiffen up, requiring some jogging, skips and stretching again.

However if your were doing 2 time trials and waited 30 minutes between, that would somewhat simulate a meet which would be good.

Will you be competing in the SE Regional in this May?

Good luck

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon May 20, 2013 2:04 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

I have not been on here for a while.

My repeats are done at 80% of race speed for most reps. Generally I am running my 200s in the 32-34 second range. Versus race speed of 26.5 -27.5.

On days I test out for race speed. I have found to get full nuro recovery I need the twenty minutes rest if I am going to go for a race speed. I only do that kind of workout about twice a summer.

I stay warm by doing some drills etc. during the rest time.

I came across the rest period time on a track web site that said race speed full recovery takes one minute per 10 meter sprint. So I tryed to incorporate into my workouts.

I am still learning and welcome any feedback.

Top Top
  Profile YIM