masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:10 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Hey Andy,
It really depends on several factors. First of all, how long have you trained to get to where you are now. If you have only been training for a few years it may be possible, but if you have been training for 5 or more years, it will be a little more difficult.
It also depends on the biomechanics of your sprint technique, your starts, and how you run the different phases of the race.
Another is your training schedule, rest days, intensity, frequency, and your particular fitness level.
With all that said, to get faster, you might want to add some resistance training like sled pulls or hill runs, plyometrics like bounding and box jumps, and running some 20-30m flys for speed.
But remember to take it easy and listen to your body because when you try to increase your intensity there is always the possibility for injury.
Hope that helps a little,
Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:51 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Hey Andy,
I believe with only 2 years in you still have an opportunity to shave off some time. It looks like you are doing some good things and have some high tech gear. You might want to video yourself on the starts and the sprint to make sure you have proper technique.

The flys, over speed training, and resistance training should help you cut some time. The flys should be performed with about a 10-15 meter run in and all out for either 20, 30 or 40 meters. However, you need to be properly warmed up and be careful. The only times I have pulled my hams has been during fly training.

Another aspect to look at is your finish. If you lean too soon you may lose some tenths of a second. Make sure to lean with only a few steps left in the race and not several meters out. The actual measurement is when the upper torso crosses the finish.

I also agree with you on cutting back on the plyo during competition.

Good luck to you and keep up the good work,
Tony
Coachtonysprintcoach.com

Top Top
  Profile WWW