masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:29 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Has anyone tried compression tights for training and/or competition? If so, what brands do you recommend?
Thank you.

Top Top

Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:42 am

Master Masters Athlete

I have not yet tried any of the current "compression tights", but over the last three months, I've been using Nike Pro compression tops - long sleeve, T-shirt style and long sleeve versions. I am very impressed with these, both as gear to wear in the gym and for track sessions. The newest versions seem to work even better than the earlier ones, in terms of suport, sweat evaporation and all-round comfort.

Tom
Kent
England

Top Top

Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:29 am

Senior Masters Athlete

I use them for training when the temps drop below 60. I've had a pair of Pearl Izumi tights for 10 years. I originally bought them for cycling/skiing.

http://www.pearlizumi.com/shop.php?mode ... sport_id=1

Top Top

Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:36 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Thanks for the responses. I am interested in the cw-x compression tight or something similar. In my research I learned that Bill Collins uses and recommends this brand. However, I have found several other brands with similar configurations, which are also supposed to improve performance. Has anyone else out there tried them?

Top Top

Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:52 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Hi, Nadine,

I'm a big fan of compression tights, and always train in them unless it's just too hot. Maybe it's psychological, but they seem to reduce muscle fatigue, especially on long runs. The CW-X are very good (and very expensive), but my advice is to go try some on---if they feel right in the store, they will probably feel right on the road or track. My favorites are an old pair of Speedos, but I don't think they sell them any longer. I hope this helps!

Kevin Rumble
M50 pentathlon

Top Top

Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:05 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Hi, I used to use skins for my training and short skins for racing. I recently brought CW-X brand and am so impressed with them that I will be ordering more shortly. I am a race walker and I increased my times each training session and swear it is the pants.

The are great for recovery too as I find I dont get the sore muscles like I used to.

I would recommend this brand over skins and 2XU

Top Top

Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:19 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

BioSkin.com has a great product not only short but also with straps during rehab to increase compression. Not only shorts but other products ie. cafe sleeves, etc.

Top Top

Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:14 am

Master Masters Athlete

I have worn skins - and find them to be helpful when I have hip/back problems - which is most of the time! I have not worn them recently and this forum topic reminds me that I should get them out.
My only problem with skins is that they are really tight - uncomfortably so around my waist - so I do not want to have them on for long-- cannot stand to have them on when I am driving to track practice and back - and have not mastered the art of putting them on in my car! Another brand might work better for me.
I have a couple of compression (under armour) shirts - and frankly have never seen the point for me - being a runner and not a thrower.

Top Top

Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:30 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Nadine - I really like the CW-X brand, I have a pair of long tights and shorts. They are made out of a thicker material than just regular spandex (but they still have plenty of stretch) and feel almost fleecie inside.

I got mine at a big discount on steepandcheap.com, but I haven't seen them posted there in a long time. I definitely recommend trying some on if you can.

- Becca

Top Top
  Profile WWWYIM