masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:13 am

Senior Masters Athlete

:? I just started throwing the javelin recently and my inside elbow is killing me . I probably threw to hard to quickly , plus being 57 years old didnt help either . I remember 30 + years ago doing this at the start of baseball season but I think it eventually healed . Any advise from any of you experenced Masters on how to fix this and prevent it later on ? I know I should know better but I had been throwing for months , hard maybe once a week , and then wham ! .

Top Top

Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:11 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I know how it feels... For me it is a technical flaw, throwing the javelin too much like a ball, with the elbow hooked. When I try to throw with the arm stretched (in fact it is only less hooked) I do not have that aching elbow afterwards. With a longer arm the javelin goes farther even!

Weia (W56, Netherlands, 29.75m)

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:06 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

I still can not figure out exactly how to train , I can throw a 800g ball and my elbow feels fine , But throw the Javelin and the pain comes back. I have even tried to use the two finger grip and it doesnt seem to help. :?:

Top Top

Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:44 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I remember having this prob years ago when I first started throwing.
For me the issue was throwing with the elbow too low.
I did some drills with a piece of rope tied to a post.
Pull on the rope with your arm fully extended, rotate your hip through and naturally your shoulder will want to follow. at the same time make a concious effort to increase the height of your elbow, so that when your are fully arched and in the final plant position your elbow is well above the height of your ear.
You will need to warm your shoulders up first as the feel can be quite un-natural.
I found this drill also heped with pulling through the line of the jav.

BR,
Kevanno

Top Top

Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:01 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

first thing is it isn't a throw it is more like a pull relate it to a swing of a baseball bat , a very good video to use for training is Tom Petranoffs"Cometo Javelin practice", BobSings book "the dynamics of the javelin throw" is like a must have for all throwers, also check out this http://youtube.com/watch?v=_UDca4hi344, a series of sldege hammer drills they really help out , just hope you have nice neighbors , mine think i'm ready for the rubber room , but since i started back throwing in 2003 i haven't missed a days worth of work do to any throwing injury or have been injured while throwing , i compete in the 55-59 yearold masters division , i also throw , shot , discus, hammer and weight throws , and i have been having fun , i'm just getting ready to start my new training program , i laid out for myself , hopefully i'll be able to wedge it in to my daily schedule along with my work schedule , i already have planned what meets i will be praticipating in in 2007 leaving room for a few more addons, to all good luck train hard , throw far

Top Top
  Profile WWWYIM

Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:46 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Is the angle that the javelin is thrown these days alot different than it was , say 25 years ago ?

Top Top

Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:55 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

i would say it is a bit differant but also it depends on your style and now with so many differant types of javelins available , headwind , tailwind , universal a lot has to do with that , we have had discussions on other forums about it before optimal with the old was say 28 to 02 degrees iu believe the newer ones are around 32 to 38 degreesand possibly more, just watch someof the videos available out there plus try differant release angles and use what suits your style

Top Top
  Profile WWWYIM

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:49 am

Master Masters Athlete

kevanno wrote:
I did some drills with piece of rope tied to a post.
Pull on the rope with your arm fully extended, rotate your hip through and naturally your shoulder will want to follow. at the same time make a concious effort to increase the height of your elbow, so that when your are fully arched and in the final plant position your elbow is well above the height of your ear.
BR,
Kevanno

You can also put a small pice of PVC pipe, around the size of the grip, on the rope to get the feel of holding the Javelin, also you might want to purchase a turbo-jav which is a lot shorter, so if you are releasing wrong, it will really show up. The CYO clubs use the turbo-javs for their meets. Right now the top high-schooler in Oregon learned on the turbo-jav when he competed in CYO. When I was coaching my CYO team at a local high school, their javelin throwers wanted to try the turbo-jav, and boy, did it go flying everywhere except where he wanted it to go, it looked like some of the missiles that went array when they were launched from my navy ship. LOL
Now some of the local high schools use the turbo javs in practice since you have to be more precise in your throw for it to go very far.

Top Top
  Profile WWW