masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:06 am

Master Masters Athlete

This entry is part of my training column written for Muscular Development magazine. While it was directed at bodybuilders, the information applies to track and field athletes who compete in the decathlon and pentathlon and cross over between endurance and power events:

Endurance Training Interferes with Muscle Growth and Strength
Bodybuilders develop large, symmetrical muscles and minimize fat. Unfortunately, these processes often work against each other— low calorie diets and aerobic exercise can compromise muscle growth. Muscle hypertrophy requires muscle tension, anabolic hormones, amino acids, calories, and adequate recovery, which activate signaling mechanisms inside the cells that turns on protein synthesis and builds muscle. Athletes cut fat through a combination of low calorie diets and endurance exercise, both of which can compromise protein synthesis and muscle growth. Dr Gustavo Nader from the Children’s National Medical Center in Washington D.C., in a review of literature, concluded that training simultaneously for muscle growth and endurance compromises muscle hypertrophy. Strength and endurance training initiated different signaling pathways within the muscle cells. Endurance training activates AMPK— an important energy-sensing enzyme that monitors cellular energy status. AMPK inhibits mTOR, a cell-signaling chemical that promotes muscle protein synthesis and muscle hypertrophy. Minimize body fat year round so you don’t have to reduce large amounts prior to competitions. Emphasize high intensity exercise (i.e., interval training or wind sprints) when trying to lose body fat to avoid stimulating AMPK. Finally, consume plenty of protein (1.5 grams of protein per kilogram body weight per day) to curb appetite and minimize muscle wasting during weight loss.
(Medicine Science Sports Exercise 38: 1965-1970, 2006)

Tom Fahey M59, thrower

Top Top

Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:26 am

Junior Masters Athlete

:D
Well, you certainly managed to pack a great deal of science into a single paragraph! It all makes sense... I tend to think of it in terms of fast twitch and slow twitch muscles; endurance work is not contributing to FT development and probably undermining my efforts to become explosive and powerful. Fast twitch is also synonymous with hypertrophy.

I wonder if you practice the same discus throwing movement several thousand times then you are probably getting more proficient but at the same time your muscles are getting more efficient (endurance).

Carl Bellé M45

Top Top

Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:03 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I think you have to be careful about extrapolating isolated experiments to the real world of track and field. Endurance is important for power events, such as the discus and high jump. For example, McGill (Canadian back expert) found that endurance of the spinal support muscles was more important than strength for maintaining spinal control.

I think the comment about the value of multiple throws for specific endurance is important. John Powell, for example, has always pushed long throwing sessions. He feels that you have to use efficient technique in order to complete high volume throwing workouts.

Tom Fahey M59 thrower

Top Top