masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:47 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Recently I've read about doing "explosive" lifts, in which you lift the weight very fast. I am a new sprinter and have been lifting weights about a year now as part of my training. I do the typical slow-up, slow-down.

The article I read said that this just trains your slow twitch muscles. It suggested that if you lift "fast" you will train your fast twitch muscles. Of course, I'm mostly worried about hurting myself trying to move the weight too quickly.

I'd be interested in people's opinions about this, particularly as it relates to masters training. (I am 51 yo F).

thanks!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:31 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Check out this article. Works. Also good for the jumps.

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/269/

Top Top

Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:30 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Well...it depends on what events you are in...but, if you want to play in the throws, you better get away from training like Mr. Universe and train like a thrower.

I snatch two to three times a week, Front Squat twice and do lots of kettelbells and pullups and that kind of thing. I find it the healthiest training that I have ever found...my blood profiles are very good and my injuries come from falling on bolts in the hammer ring.

Dan John

Top Top

Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:54 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

I checked out the the link posted by "rev gj". Very interesting, makes a lot of sense, and falls in line with other references I've happened accross. I'm going to consider making "The Holy Grail in Speed" training my primary weight training program.

I've got all the muscle mass I want or need. I simply want to improve my explosive strength to weight ratio. I'm gonna study it some more "rev gj".

Thanks for the info!!

Top Top

Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:23 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I've done that workout. Only suggestion, take it easy.
About killed me, but I went completely ape. Started at
300# with the dead, and leapt across my warehouse with
the triple standing jumps. I was 56 and should know better.

You can use that same system with any lift. Big single or double,
wait 5 minutes and go again. You'll get stronger without putting on weight.
I just keep adding weight until I miss.

Top Top

Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:18 am

Master Masters Athlete

I read the link too and I wasn't sure what it was really saying. It is talking about Mass-Specific Force but doesn't really define it. I guess it means what my former drag-racing husband calls power-to-weight ratio. That makes sense to me.

But as a sprinter (not thrower) and particularly a Senior Age Group sprinter I would be very reluctant to lift 3 consecutive days. I've never seen any similar training recommendation.

I'm mostly (still) curious if lifting weight faster, rather than the typically slow raising and lowering, truly works your fast twitch muscles more and if anyone has used it successfully.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:02 am

th

Last edited by abarr on Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:58 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Joe Mastropaulo from Long Beach State published several papers in the early 90s on speed training. The method involves timed reps at 60 percent of 1 rep maximum, which is slightly higher than peak power output. It's amazing how fast you can improve power using this technique.

The rapid eccentric (contraction while the muscle lengthens) contractions are very hard on the tendons. You can't overdo timed reps.

I agree with Dan John: whole body powerful movements— O lifts, kettlebells, medicine balls, heavy stones, and farmers bars— are best for training for power events. Our love affair with isolation machines was flamed by the weight machine industry. They make a lot more money selling 20 individual machines at $6K apiece than selling a few Olympic bars and kettlebells.

I have done several studies on strength transfer.Base strength is highly correlated to sprint speed, vertical jump, and throwing ability. Strength gained from weight training does not transfer quickly to sports skills. Also, weight training improves performance better in people who are already skilled. The best advice for young and old athletes is to build total body strength and integrate it into the skill.

Chico, CA 95929-0330
discusdoc@aol.com

Top Top

Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:14 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

KimW wrote:
Recently I've read about doing "explosive" lifts, in which you lift the weight very fast. I am a new sprinter and have been lifting weights about a year now as part of my training. I do the typical slow-up, slow-down.

The article I read said that this just trains your slow twitch muscles. It suggested that if you lift "fast" you will train your fast twitch muscles. Of course, I'm mostly worried about hurting myself trying to move the weight too quickly.

I'd be interested in people's opinions about this, particularly as it relates to masters training. (I am 51 yo F).

thanks!

When I returned to Track and Field competition as a Masters athlete, I had similar questions as Masters Training for Track and Field. I did not find adequate answers to my questions.

Because of my technical background, I chose to research the subject in detail to find satisfactory answers. Result of this research was the development of TFPredictions Track and Field software.

This software provides Weight Training for Track and Field events such as Sprinting. Software provides Power Weight Training (fast twitch muscles) as opposed to Strength Weight Training with specific levels, iterations, and target iteration times.

Weight levels and iteration times, for the specified exercises, accurately simulate body accelerations, velocities, and forces actions for a selected event. Specified exercises can be performed at most Gyms such as the YMCA.

I have used this weight training for 5 years specifically for sprinting and triple jumping. A description of TFPredictions software is available at www.jasnook.com

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:23 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

The Barry Ross article which was posted in this thread was just excellent, thank you. Any ideas as to where a masters 1500 meter type would get started with some form of "explosive strength" training and whether it not its the most effective direction for the middle distance guy?

MF

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:50 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

After reading the Holy Grail, I contacted Barry Ross and have been working with him for the past several months. I lift three days a week, but not consecutive days. I have seen incredible strength improvement, as well as speed improvement on the track -- wait til you guys see me next season! Anyway, Barry coaches me via emails, phone calls and video (of him watching me) and I would say that it is 1000% worth it! As an example on strength increase, I have moved from about 180 lbs maximum deadlift to 280 lbs which is just over 2.5x my body weight (and I haven't gained weight while doing it, as I have in prior seasons with old style lifting).

Top Top

Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:21 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Mike,

I actually know who you are. I'm an old half-miler and one of the first members of the Excelcior TC when it was founded. Long story short,
started lifting in 2002 and got tuned in with some excellent people.
More than happy to help you out. 10,000 meter runners would benefit
from some lifting.

quote="mike fanelli"]The Barry Ross article which was posted in this thread was just excellent, thank you. Any ideas as to where a masters 1500 meter type would get started with some form of "explosive strength" training and whether it not its the most effective direction for the middle distance guy?

MF[/quote]

Top Top

Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:32 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Hey rev gj

Wow...small world and getting smaller, huh? I was so inspired by the Barry Ross article that you posted that I ordered a copy of his book...have planned on going into a stength/flexibility/neuromuscular training phase (I am weak) as I finish of the season in another week...have moved DOWN in distance from 10,000m + and back to 1500/mile at age 50...having a blast with it...love running "fast" and will compete next weekend at 5th Ave mile in NYC...am aggressively looking for help with the strength etc component so lets talk...thanks much...am reachable at mfanelli@pacunion.com

MF

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:58 pm

Master Masters Athlete

KimW wrote:
I read the link too and I wasn't sure what it was really saying. It is talking about Mass-Specific Force but doesn't really define it. I guess it means what my former drag-racing husband calls power-to-weight ratio. That makes sense to me.

But as a sprinter (not thrower) and particularly a Senior Age Group sprinter I would be very reluctant to lift 3 consecutive days. I've never seen any similar training recommendation.

I'm mostly (still) curious if lifting weight faster, rather than the typically slow raising and lowering, truly works your fast twitch muscles more and if anyone has used it successfully.

To the posters above, thanks all for the kind words! :D

Mass-specific force is the amount of force applied to the ground (isometrically) in relation to body weight. It is not strength in relation to body weight.

You can lift 3 days consecutively, even 4 or 5 (if necessary) if muscles are not worked to exhaustion and special attention is given to staying in the alactic anaerobic metabolism. It's lactic acid and working to exhaustion that causes people to have to take a day or 2 between workouts.

I posted the 3 consecutive day workout because:
1. We did lift 3 consecutive days
2. It showed that you can lift, using the same exercises, on 3 consecutive days.

The reason we lifted on 3 consecutive days? Because it fit my schedule at that time, nothing more... :wink:

Lifting faster doesn't work fast twitch any more than slow raising. The difference is the amount of weight lifted. Lighter weight will not recruit as many fast twitch fibers as heavy weight.

Lighter weights are used in ballistic exercises, which by their nature will not make one as strong as possible, and certainly not faster as pertains to running.

Since that article was printed at dragon door, the power cleans (a ballistic exercise) has been removed from our workouts because they do not help one to run faster and they are only good for one sport: Olympic Lifting.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:39 am

Master Masters Athlete

mike fanelli wrote:
The Barry Ross article which was posted in this thread was just excellent, thank you. Any ideas as to where a masters 1500 meter type would get started with some form of "explosive strength" training and whether it not its the most effective direction for the middle distance guy?

MF

You don't need, and shouldn't use, explosive exercises for any running distance. You simply need to get as strong as possible while keeping mass to a minimum.

We use the same exercises for sprinters as we do for cross country runners and everything between. Only the "fuel" requirements differ, the model of bipedal and quadrupedal running remains the same over any distance.

Top Top
  Profile WWW