masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:49 am

Master Masters Athlete

There is a lot a passion in this topic! At my age I tend to do more of what I like to do-in this case I like throwing more than weight training. When I go to competitions I hear other competitors mutter about the skinny guy who is making them look like idiots (I really like that, being a skinny guy is new for me!) I have even been chided for working on my technique :lol: !
Many of the guys I throw with are major powerlifters-some former PL recordholdrs etc. I don't think I can benchpress 200 (I haven't tried either)

However I am not doing as well as I would like so now I am in the weight room. In my part of the country we have an event called winter that makes the weight room a more pleasant place to be for several months.
I believe that striking a balance between throwing and weights is probably best. What I like about strength is that it seems more reliable than technique-on an off technique day you still have that to rely on.
I am trying that routine that I think Barry recommended-deadlifting plus some presses-and I am getting the book with the hairy Russian guy on the cover. I'll let you know how it goes.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:51 am

Master Masters Athlete

jasnook wrote:
I am a masters athlete and have competed for six years as a masters athlete.

Because of my technical background, I chose to research the subject in detail to find satisfactory answers. Result of this research was the development of TFPredictions Track and Field software.

This software provides Weight Training for Track and Field events such as Sprinting, Running, Jumping, and Throwing. Software provides Power Weight Training (fast twitch muscles) as opposed to Strength Weight Training with specific levels, iterations, and target iteration times.

Weight levels, distances, and iteration times, for specified exercises, accurately simulate individual body accelerations, velocities, and forces actions experienced for the selected event. Specified exercises can be performed at most Gyms such as the YMCA.

I have used this weight training for 5 years specifically for sprinting and triple jumping. A description of TFPredictions software is available at www.jasnook.com

Other than your obvious ad, what are you basing your predictive "weight levels, distances and iteration times" on?
What body accelerations, velocities, and forces are you talking about?
And why on earth would you prescribe "Power" weight training over strength training?

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:33 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Bary Ross:

"Other than your obvious ad, what are you basing your predictive "weight levels, distances and iteration times" on?
What body accelerations, velocities, and forces are you talking about?
And why on earth would you prescribe "Power" weight training over strength training?"

I believe you are caught up in terminology.

All weight training can be considered "Power" weight training to some extent.

All weight training exercises consist of moving a weight a specific distance with an associated time.

Pure strength training would be performed in an infinite time.

Depending on the time to to perform a weight training exercise, the exercise can be considered low power, medium power, etc.

My experience is that the weight training time element should be long in the beginning and progress to a faster time for the same weight as strength is gained. At some point the weight can be increased hopefully using the same time.

I believe you are basically proposing using the dead lift to increase sprinter speed. However, I have not seen an associated time to do each repetition. Is each repetition done in 2 seconds, 1 second, etc.

My predictive weight levels are based on the characteristics of a specific individual and the specified event and specified event performance level.

Calculations are made of the force, etc generated by the upper body parts, mid body parts, and lower body parts (arms, legs, etc) when running, or jumping, or throwing for a specific time or distance.

My understanding is that you are specifically addressing the near maximum speed or maximum speed part of a sprint using the dead lift.

However, I am not sure this single exercise is adequately addressing the parts of explosive drive out of the starting blocks and the acceleration up to near maximum speed.

The TFPredictions software is capable of generating a weight level and time for sprinters for the dead lift.

I will be experimenting with the dead lift this winter to determine its effect on my sprinting speed.

If you would like to learn more about my approach, please feel free to purchase.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:34 am

Master Masters Athlete

jasnook wrote:
Bary Ross:

I believe you are caught up in terminology.

No, I'm not.

Quote:
All weight training can be considered "Power" weight training to some extent.

All weight training exercises consist of moving a weight a specific distance with an associated time.

Pure strength training would be performed in an infinite time.

Depending on the time to to perform a weight training exercise, the exercise can be considered low power, medium power, etc.

All weight training could be considered "power" training, but it's not. Generally speaking and for sport training specifically, "power training" is considered to be training to increase rate of force development. It's most often associated with ballistic exercises.

Quote:
My experience is that the weight training time element should be long in the beginning and progress to a faster time for the same weight as strength is gained. At some point the weight can be increased hopefully using the same time.

That's sounds good, but I have no idea what you're getting at. Unless this is a fancy way to say increase in rate of force development.

Quote:
I believe you are basically proposing using the dead lift to increase sprinter speed. However, I have not seen an associated time to do each repetition. Is each repetition done in 2 seconds, 1 second, etc.

There is no time for completing a rep per se, because it has no meaning in regard to sprinting, or any speed related sport. There is specific time under load, but it relates to the phospagen pool, not a sport.

Quote:
My predictive weight levels are based on the characteristics of a specific individual and the specified event and specified event performance level.

Sounds good, except you really didn't say anything. I'm facinated by the concept of "predictive weight levels" and "specified event performance levels."

Quote:
Calculations are made of the force, etc generated by the upper body parts, mid body parts, and lower body parts (arms, legs, etc) when running, or jumping, or throwing for a specific time or distance.

Now this should be interesting. Tell us what force is generated by the arms during sprinting and how such force would aid a sprinter. Tell me the amount of force generated by a sprinter at toe-down and how that force is generated.

Quote:
My understanding is that you are specifically addressing the near maximum speed or maximum speed part of a sprint using the dead lift.

Well then, your understanding is wrong. We use it to cover all phases of a race, including the start.

Quote:
However, I am not sure this single exercise is adequately addressing the parts of explosive drive out of the starting blocks and the acceleration up to near maximum speed.

I used to think that as well. For almost 30 years. Then I talked to both locomotion experts and physiologists. I also looked at the physics aspect of sports. After that, I dropped all the trash I'd learned over the years. Then pared my training down to the minimum number of exercises that accomplish the purposes dictated by physics, bipedal locomotion, and physiology. The winner was the deadlift. It does more than an adequate job, it does a phenominal job, when one understands what the goal is.

Quote:
The TFPredictions software is capable of generating a weight level and time for sprinters for the dead lift.
Not sure that would be of any benefit, but I might be convinced if you explained how it would help.

Quote:
I will be experimenting with the dead lift this winter to determine its effect on my sprinting speed.
I sincerely hope that works out well for you!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:04 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Bary Ross:

I believe you are still caught up in sports terminology.

Basic weight training dead lift exercise mathematical equations are:

Implement Energy = Force Applied * Distance Moved.

Average Power = Force Applied * Distance Moved / Required Time.

Power at some level is required to be applied to complete the exercise.

The weight training dead lift exercise is a power driven activity.

Because a specific power level is required to perform the dead lift exercise with the benefits that you describe, an associated time to do each repetition should be specified to avoid "Sports Power Training".

The way that I would begin using this exercise would be to start out with low weight level and do the exercise in a comfortable manner. I would over time gradually increase the weight level based on how easy or fast I could do the exercise without injury at the old weight level.

"My predictive weight levels are based on the characteristics of a specific individual and the specified event and specified event performance level."

"Calculations are made of the force, etc generated by the upper body parts, mid body parts, and lower body parts (arms, legs, etc) when running, or jumping, or throwing for a specific time or distance."

I also use in my personal training Isometric exercises, Plyometric exercises, and have briefly experimented with yoga.

The software is copywrite protected and the algorithms used are Trade Secrets and are Patentable.

If you would like to sign a non disclosure agreement and be indebted to me the rest of your life, I can precisely tell you how the calculations are done.

In any case, the software calculations are "Biomechanical" types.

If you have further questions, I would be happy to answer them.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:45 pm

Master Masters Athlete

jasnook wrote:

I believe you are still caught up in sports terminology.

You're certainly entitled to believe what you want!

Quote:
The weight training dead lift exercise is a power driven activity.

That was quite useless.

Quote:
Because a specific power level is required to perform the dead lift exercise with the benefits that you describe, an associated time to do each repetition should be specified to avoid "Sports Power Training".

This is much more interesting. I've not said what the point of weight training is on this site. Clearly it is to gain strength, but how that strength is used and why it is not important to be specific to a particular sport was something that was never mentioned by me. I agree that sports Power training is not necessary, but I'm sure it is not for the same reason you do.

Quote:
I would over time gradually increase the weight level based on how easy or fast I could do the exercise without injury at the old weight level.

Very, very old school and erroneous in application. You're describing a typical, and useless, strength pyramid. This is typical of a body building routine as is the use of multiple, isolated lifts as you show on your web site.

Quote:
The software is copywrite protected and the algorithms used are Trade Secrets and are Patentable.

If you would like to sign a non disclosure agreement and be indebted to me the rest of your life, I can precisely tell you how the calculations are done.
Sorry, I'll stick with algorithms by experts in the field.

Quote:
In any case, the software calculations are "Biomechanical" types.

Hmm, biomechanical? If you're talking about running you need to say where these biomechanically derived forces are utilized.

I asked you specific questions "Tell us what force is generated by the arms during sprinting and how such force would aid a sprinter. Tell me the amount of force generated by a sprinter at toe-down and how that force is generated." That should not be a problem for you but it appears to be, which is highly suspect. So far I've heard nothing.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:03 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Barry Ross:

Apparently you are only open to your own opinions.

I was hoping for a constructive discourse.

"Quote:
The weight training dead lift exercise is a power driven activity."

"Quote:

This is much more interesting. I've not said what the point of weight training is on this site. Clearly it is to gain strength, but how that strength is used and why it is not important to be specific to a particular sport was something that was never mentioned by me. I agree that sports Power training is not necessary, but I'm sure it is not for the same reason you do.

You are ignoring an important point. How fast should the dead lift be done to be of benefit. Apparently you cannot answer this question.

"Quote:
I would over time gradually increase the weight level based on how easy or fast I could do the exercise without injury at the old weight level."

Masters athletes are more susceptible to injury than 16 year olds and should take more care in their training.

How much Masters competition have you been a participant?

"Very, very old school and erroneous in application. You're describing a typical, and useless, strength pyramid. This is typical of a body building routine as is the use of multiple, isolated lifts as you show on your web site."

I would like to remind you that the dead lift has been available since the caveman days.

"Sorry, I'll stick with algorithms by experts in the field. "

The software has been developed with the advice of the experts in the field especially Biomechanical experts. I was hoping to include you.

I have also been involved with the most intelligent capable technical people in the US during my professional career.

"Hmm, biomechanical? If you're talking about running you need to say where these biomechanically derived forces are utilized."

Distance, velocites, accelerations, forces, etc are calculated starting with the start (out of the Starting blocks) and are calculated at 0.0001 second intervals to the end of the race from head to toe.

"I asked you specific questions "Tell us what force is generated by the arms during sprinting and how such force would aid a sprinter. Tell me the amount of force generated by a sprinter at toe-down and how that force is generated." That should not be a problem for you but it appears to be, which is highly suspect. So far I've heard nothing."

The accurate amount of force generated by a sprinter at toe-down depends upon the height, weight, speed, physical distribution, etc. of the athlete.

The software accommodates athletes from ages 6 to 100+, both men and women.

It would be advantageous to have you specify an individual and the force you believe is generated and I can compare it to my calculations.

Please provide the information that I have requested.

Thanks.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:38 pm

Master Masters Athlete

jasnook wrote:

Quote:
Apparently you are only open to your own opinions.

Neither one of those is true. I'm continually striving to increase my knowledge through dialogue with those who have a solid scientific basis for their ideas. Generally, they aren't the ones posting ads for their products on multiple threads.

Quote:
You are ignoring an important point. How fast should the dead lift be done to be of benefit. Apparently you cannot answer this question.

Not can't, won't. It is meaningless for sports training. You're stuck on ballistic exercises that have no merit. Your own set/rep routine, listed on your web site, will not maximise strength, and maximising strength will maximise RFD.

Quote:
Masters athletes are more susceptible to injury than 16 year olds and should take more care in their training.

Well that's a given isn't it? But this statement of yours:
Quote:
The way that I would begin using this exercise would be to start out with low weight level and do the exercise in a comfortable manner. I would over time gradually increase the weight level based on how easy or fast I could do the exercise without injury at the old weight level.

doesn't limit itself to Masters competitors.

Quote:
How much Masters competition have you been a participant?

Is there a reason for this question or just an ad hominem attack?

Quote:
I would like to remind you that the dead lift has been available since the caveman days.

Yes it has but what does that have to do with the the exercises on your site that are very, very old school and erroneous in application.

You're describing a typical, and useless, strength pyramid. This is typical of a body building routine as is the use of multiple, isolated lifts as you show on your web site.

Quote:
The software has been developed with the advice of the experts in the field especially Biomechanical experts. I was hoping to include you.

I sincerely thank you for the thought, but I'm obviously not your guy. I'm not even remotely close to a biomechanical expert. However, locomotion experts, such as Peter Weyand, Matthew Bundle, Deborah Sternlight, Bruggemann, McMahon, Seyfarth and a whole bunch more, would tell you that high speed running, starting within a few strides out of the blocks, relies on ground force reaction and elastic impulse almost entirely. There is no volitional technique at that point. Which means that chemical muscle mechanical work is very limited. It's limited because it's to slow in reaction and carries too high a metabolic cost. Most of the power is generated by eccentric stretch, with it's minimal metabolic cost compared to chemical work. What is necessary for running faster is increase in muscle density (not fluids, capillaries, ect) bone density, and ligment stength to withstand ground reaction force and create, store and release elastic energy. Preparing the body for those aspects of running is not going to be satisfied by light weight, high rep, fast moving weight exercises. There will not be enough recruitment of the larger motor units because loading is to low.

Quote:
Distance, velocites, accelerations, forces, etc are calculated starting with the start (out of the Starting blocks) and are calculated at 0.0001 second intervals to the end of the race from head to toe.

This is just a typical non-answer.

Quote:
"I asked you specific questions "Tell us what force is generated by the arms during sprinting and how such force would aid a sprinter. Tell me the amount of force generated by a sprinter at toe-down and how that force is generated." That should not be a problem for you but it appears to be, which is highly suspect. So far I've heard nothing."

The accurate amount of force generated by a sprinter at toe-down depends upon the height, weight, speed, physical distribution, etc. of the athlete.

With all due respect, this is again, no answer. I asked you HOW that force is generated and you don't know. You simply don't know.

Quote:
The software accommodates athletes from ages 6 to 100+, both men and women.

Awesome :P , another pitch for the software that doesn't know how force is generated during sprinting.

Quote:
It would be advantageous to have you specify an individual and the force you believe is generated and I can compare it to my calculations.

Please provide the information that I have requested.

Billy Bob Thorton, 150 lbs, 600 lbs of force.

Quote:
Thanks.

You're most welcome :D

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:35 am

Senior Masters Athlete

My high intelligence, talents, skills, experience, education, etc has provided a very large scientific basis.

I am not applying for a a position on your staff.

"You are ignoring an important point. How fast should the dead lift be done to be of benefit. Apparently you cannot answer this question."

"The way that I would begin using this exercise would be to start out with low weight level and do the exercise in a comfortable manner. I would over time gradually increase the weight level based on how easy or fast I could do the exercise without injury at the old weight level."

"Masters athletes are more susceptible to injury than 16 year olds and should take more care in their training."

"How much Masters competition have you been a participant? "

This is a "Masters" forum. I am interested in learning about your masters experience.

"
I would like to remind you that the dead lift has been available since the caveman days."

"Yes it has but what does that have to do with the the exercises on your site that are very, very old school and erroneous in application.

You're describing a typical, and useless, strength pyramid. This is typical of a body building routine as is the use of multiple, isolated lifts as you show on your web site. "

TFPredictions software is not limited to supposed "old school" application but is one option an individual can use.

The supposed "old school" approach for weight training can and has been used for other purposes besides weight training.

It is possible to determined precisely the actual level of performance that an athlete is at using TFPredictions software. Specifically that strategic body parts produce the required level of performance.

"
The software has been developed with the advice of the experts in the field especially Biomechanical experts. I was hoping to include you."

"
I sincerely thank you for the thought, but I'm obviously not your guy. I'm not even remotely close to a biomechanical expert. However, locomotion experts, such as Peter Weyand, Matthew Bundle, Deborah Sternlight, Bruggemann, McMahon, Seyfarth and a whole bunch more, would tell you that high speed running, starting within a few strides out of the blocks, relies on ground force reaction and elastic impulse almost entirely. There is no volitional technique at that point. Which means that chemical muscle mechanical work is very limited. It's limited because it's to slow in reaction and carries too high a metabolic cost. Most of the power is generated by eccentric stretch, with it's minimal metabolic cost compared to chemical work. What is necessary for running faster is increase in muscle density (not fluids, capillaries, ect) bone density, and ligment stength to withstand ground reaction force and create, store and release elastic energy. Preparing the body for those aspects of running is not going to be satisfied by light weight, high rep, fast moving weight exercises. There will not be enough recruitment of the larger motor units because loading is to low."

I have significant experience developing medical devices include those related to "Sports Medicine". I have also been intimately involved with several physicians at teaching (research) hospitals.

Thanks for the refresher course.

"
Distance, velocites, accelerations, forces, etc are calculated starting with the start (out of the Starting blocks) and are calculated at 0.0001 second intervals to the end of the race from head to toe."

This is a basic requirement for software of this nature.

I have accurately simulated (in 2002) the 55, 60, 100, and 200 Meter sprint races of Maurice Green including the force you describe.

An article was published in a local paper at that time describing the distance, velocites, accelerations, forces, etc that he generated during these races.

As I remember, Pressure, ie, Force per Unit area was more significant than actual force.

I have this article available

"The accurate amount of force generated by a sprinter at toe-down depends upon the height, weight, speed, physical distribution, etc. of the athlete."

For a typical athlete TFPredictions software provides a Leg Press Force in that simulates actual event performance in the range of 300 to 900 Lbf Force depending on the event. The software addresses all events not just sprinting.

"
The software accommodates athletes from ages 6 to 100+, both men and women."
"
Awesome , another pitch for the software that doesn't know how force is generated during sprinting. "

I am providing the software specifically as a aid to coaches and athletes.
From your comments, you appear to be the "Pitch Man".

You should run for political office against Arnold.

"

Please provide the information that I have requested. "

Billy Bob Thorton, 150 lbs, 600 lbs of force.

I finally got an answer from you instead of non answers.

Thanks for the information.

By the way what level of force, repetition time, etc does he use?

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:36 am

Master Masters Athlete

jasnook wrote:
My high intelligence, talents, skills, experience, education, etc has provided a very large scientific basis.

"You are ignoring an important point. How fast should the dead lift be done to be of benefit. Apparently you cannot answer this question."

It is possible to determined precisely the actual level of performance that an athlete is at using TFPredictions software. Specifically that strategic body parts produce the required level of performance.

This is a basic requirement for software of this nature.

I have accurately simulated (in 2002) the 55, 60, 100, and 200 Meter sprint races of Maurice Green including the force you describe.

"The accurate amount of force generated by a sprinter at toe-down depends upon the height, weight, speed, physical distribution, etc. of the athlete."

You're obviously missing the point. You seem to be unable to answer a very simple question...I asked you how force is generated after few strides. I did not ask you how you predict it. The answer has nothing to do with your software's predictive ability. If you understand HOW force is generated than you would understand WHY your workout is not the most effective way to train.

You keep asking the question about speed of performance of the deadlift. I've told you several times that I don't measure speed of any lift because it is not important for training. If you understood HOW force is generated, you would understand why this is so.

Your statement, "Specifically that strategic body parts produce the required level of performance." is not meaningful. It's the answer of one who does not understand what happens during high speed running.

Since you've mentioned your background, education, intelligence, experience, etc, ad nauseum you should be capable of answering, clearly and precisely the question I've asked you several times:

How is force generated?

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:02 am

Master Masters Athlete

Funny how things turn out. I linked Barry Ross' article.
Nice, simple, straight forward. easy to do.
I have his e-book. No comment.

Now, this is like watching a train wreck in slow motion.
Loved the article.

Top Top

Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:08 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Cant we all just get along? Such interesting information and no resolution. When do you start the next round? Maybe you could agree to disagree, but then I'd really miss the banter. This has been fun

Top Top

Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:12 pm

Master Masters Athlete

rev gj wrote:
Funny how things turn out. I linked Barry Ross' article.
Nice, simple, straight forward. easy to do.
I have his e-book. No comment.

Now, this is like watching a train wreck in slow motion.
Loved the article.

:D

Thanks for the link. Hope you like the book. Thanks for the compliment on the article. Not sure which one (or both) of us you see as the train :?:

But the issue is a real life issue for all athletes, and especially for Masters division. Do you spend valuable training time on exercises that focus on what is actually occuring during the event? Hopefully. But many competitors are training muscles based on information that was never accurate to begin with. It's not a matter of what one believes is occuring, only what is actually occuring.

USTAF has it wrong their material. Locomotion guru's use the spring-mass model, and have done so for 30+ years. Ground reaction force plates don't lie. They don't have any reason to. Measured forces exceed the amount that any human sprinter could create, let alone create in fractions of a second (under .05 sec). Ground contact times range from .088 seconds for a sprint stud to .11 for a mediocre sprinter. Force measurements peak prior to midway through the stance phase. Again, this is not a guess, it's what has been measured. So if you're neuromuscular system cannot create these forces in the amount of time they actually occur, where then do the come from? I'm waiting for jasnook to tell me, but he hasn't got it together yet.

Regardless, your muscles cannot work fast enough to create the amount of measured force. Using weights light enough to move them fast is not going to aid faster running because it won't be enough to create the enormous amount of measured force (which can exceed 3-4 times bodyweight).

During the first 2 years I trained Allyson Felix I believed the same as everyone else. By her senior year (in which she ran the best time in the world) I had narrowed the weight training portion down to 2 exercises, deadlift and power cleans. Even when I wrote the article I still believed that excercises that were explosive must be necessary to create force more rapidly. They are not when it comes to running (or for most sports).
What you need from weight training for running faster, in any sport, is what you derive ONLY from lifting heavy weights. I know that sounds counter intuitive but understanding what creates force during running and how it can be used to benefit the runner can only be derived from lifting heavy. There are specific physiological reason for that.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:45 pm

Master Masters Athlete

OK So I am just starting to train, I have not lifted any sort of significant weight, I'm a bit chunky,and I dont want to get injured. I've been lifting a little, deadlifts mostly for form, about 10 to 12 reps. I would love to go heavier and fewer but how do I decide my limitations. Do I use a belt, do I slowly build up, do I figure out a heavier weight and do maybe 5 reps. Is your E-Book at my total beginner level or do you hand out free advise on this forum? Thanks :D 45 year old female hoping to sprint

Top Top

Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:04 pm

Master Masters Athlete

leigh wrote:
OK So I am just starting to train, I have not lifted any sort of significant weight, I'm a bit chunky,and I dont want to get injured. I've been lifting a little, deadlifts mostly for form, about 10 to 12 reps. I would love to go heavier and fewer but how do I decide my limitations. Do I use a belt, do I slowly build up, do I figure out a heavier weight and do maybe 5 reps. Is your E-Book at my total beginner level or do you hand out free advise on this forum? Thanks :D 45 year old female hoping to sprint

I do hand out free advice, go to my website and you will see a lot.
The book describes a workout for the absolute beginner to the world class athlete (I've worked with both ends of the spectrum).

Look at my Hall Of Fame for Colleen Barney. She is nearing your age and has progress to 2.5 times her bodyweight in the deadlift.

Top Top
  Profile WWW