masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:10 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I am teaching myself the hammer from tapes and books. I think I have the footwork down but I have an issue-I think I am trying to go too fast in my spins and I end up dragging the hammer and shortening the radius-any good drills or imaging that will help with that?

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:26 am

Junior Masters Athlete

You may be dragging the hammer because you are entering the first turn too soon. WAIT until the ball of the hammer is at zero. Try to maintain the triangle formed by your arms and chest and keep your eyes just above the ball of the hammer. A key phrase is "let the ball turn you." Be one with the hammer.
Practice with a broom or traffic cone may help. Also turning drills - doing multiple turns with or without the hammer.

Top Top

Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:17 am

Master Masters Athlete

To help myself I look at three key-positions every turn, maybe they will help you too. The arms are always stretched indeed, so shoulders, arms and hammer are one thing all the time.
Position A: your back is to the throwing direction, lowest point of the ball, shoulder hips and feet all perpendicular to the throwing direction.
Position B: 90 degrees farther, the ball now is at shoulder height, the shoulderaxis points in the throwing direction, but the line of the feet is perpendicular. The line of the hips is intermediate. So the shoulder-line is leading.
Position C: when the right foot touches the ground again. Here the foot-line is leading! And perpendicular to the throwing direction. The better the technique the farther behind is the shoulder axis, the hip line is in between.

What I do is pre-turns until A of the first turn. When that is OK I go to B of the first turn. Then to C of the first turn, to A of the second turn etcetera.

In position C differences between techniques come to the light. I like most the 'falling of the knee', you can see it at Vincent Onos in the movies I uploaded yesterday at:
http://www.antenna.nl/weia/prestaties/prestaties.html
Dutch 'Hamer' is 'hammer ' of course. Watch his C's in the slow motion versions ('traag'). His B's are a bit less, because the lowest point shifts and so his throw-of comes from below. This is better in Ronald Gram, his throw-of is eaxctly at shoulder height, a perfect B.

Top Top
  Profile WWW