masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:21 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I am turning 60 this March and Want to try and get back in shape to compete this simmer. My dr. gave me the ok and I need help in trying to get back, some motivation. Due to injury I have not worked out seriously for 3 yrs and went from 185 to 225. I am now doing some walking and light lifting. I was competing at 48 and ran 53/400, 23.8/200, and 57.5/400IH. I know I can't start where I left off. Three yrs ago I was doing 4-6x300@52-55 w/ 3min rest twice a wk. and one time/wk 8x100 w/ 100m walk. What can I do to help with weight loss and regaining my condition? Any help would be appreciated.

Top Top

Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:41 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I am 55 and was almost 200 lbs. and totally out of shape when I tried the South Beach Diet (3 years ago). I followed it for three months and as my workout load increased I still followed it's guidelines but found I could cheat once in a while as long as I was working out. I am now 167 for 2 years! When I started running at first I did a mile or two on the golf course every other day until my legs felt solid (six weeks or so)! Then I ran hills and did stride work at 60-70% usually 200's or 150's x4, rest, then x2 and went home. I waited a long time before going to real speed work and in my case hurdle drills. Take it slow and don't overdo it, find hills to do slow hill work on or stairs or inclines in a parking garage. Build a base before you get back to your old routine and my suggestion would be to go every other day! 3 days or max 4 per week and find a food regimen that works for you. I cut out all white bread and anything that had enriched or processed grain in it. I did however aquire a taste for Low Carb beer! It worked for me and still is! Good Luck..see you out there!

Top Top

Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:32 am

Master Masters Athlete

Thanks for the info. How long did it take to lose the wgt. and how long before you started to compete?

Top Top

Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:53 am

Master Masters Athlete

I lost about 10 lbs. per month while I was sticking to the diet 100%! As my workout load increased I allowed myself an occasional respite from the diet. Started competing about four months after starting diet and workouts but not at a very high level. Improvement did come fast though as I started to compete! I know you can get to where you want to be, just work into it slowly so injuries do not set you back! Be aware of your body's feedback and alter work loads accordingly!

Top Top