masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:58 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Hi all, I am working to get back to the old (or close to it) form. October 7th I made the decision to get back ain shape and compete. I was 266 pounds and am now 215 and still taking weight off. I think my targer is 180 or so. I have 3 sons and all are involved in athletics and so far I have not been able to keep up with them. My oldest is going to be a Junior in HS and is fairly tallented in sprints. I want to help him out (because his coach is an idiot) and help myself out at the same time. I am 43 years old and realistically would like to compete late this summer or at an indoor meet next fall. I have not started any speed training yet. I was wondering what and when to do to get started.

Thanks.
P.S. This is a great site. Hope to hear from you guys. :lol:

Top Top

Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:56 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Hi, Sprinter!

Welcome back!

You've made GREAT progress already, but don't be greedy. You won't be at full speed this season or maybe even next season. I've often seen comebacks take three seasons before full all-out sprint speed is achieved.

Your focus should be on safe training and injury avoidance.

Jess Brewer's advice is the best I've heard: Don't do anything in a meet that you haven't first done in practice. Or POP! goes the hammie.

Please review my FAQ for training, competition and other ideas:
http://www.masterstrack.com/faq.html

Yes, you can sprint again. But take it slow. Rehab is the pits.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:46 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

I did the same 2 years ago and had my ups and downs...being a thrower, I kept thinking the darn things should go as far as they used to! I got hurt and missed a season.

January 2006 I just decided to make a run at it and have fun....I've been competing in meets since May and I'm having a blast (even throwing against college kids and beating a few with the 16 lb shot)....just need to set practical goals that can be reached with some work.

So, don't try to beat your kid in a race this year...make it next year's goal!

....Just a few more throws!

Top Top

Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:23 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Good advise. I was just wondering when I can start some different training and what that would be?? Richt now I am runninf about 3-4 miles a day on a tread mill m thru f and on weekends biking 18 to 20 miles each day. It is cold and snowy here in Minnesota and not much outdoor training right now. Any suggestions?

Also on a side note I have been helping my son and I have found out he is not good at all in the blocks. He comes out of the blocks for 20m @ a 3.19 and a standing start for 20m at 3.09. I can't seem to get him to explode out of the blocks. It looks like he is just kinda standing up and then going. Any suggestions? I can't seem to find any good articals on sprint starts that will address this problem.

Thanks, Darren

Top Top

Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:24 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Ken Stone is absolutely right!

Be patient with yourself, set reasonable (achievable) goals and enjoy the journey. There will be a point when everything starts to really become fun again, just like when you were a kid. If you get hurt, be patient and work around it.

Besides your aerobic work, the most important areas for you to work on right now are your overall flexibility and core strength. They are the foundation for your current and future training. It will also help prevent injury.

I got back into sprinting and throwing after a 31 year hiatus. I was overweight, asthmatic and feeling my age. In the spring of 2004, my son's high school football coach made all of the players join the track team, I went to his track meets and "drank the kool aid". I wanted to do more than just watch or coach, so I committed to being in the best shape of my life by the time I turned 50, which was 8 months from that date. I turn 52 next month and I haven't found the top end yet.

I started competing on my company's Corporate Track Team 2 years ago and in USATF Masters Track and Field events in 2006. I work on interval training, hill speed work, plyometics and weight training, which have all helped tremendously with my sprints and throws (shot & discus). Again, it's all a work in progress.

Coach yourself as if you were coaching your best friend. Remember that you are starting something that will keep you fit, fast and strong for rest of your life.

It's good to have you back!

Top Top

Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:32 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Hi Sprinter!

I remember my high school coach stretching out a length of crepe paper across the track about a foot and 1/2 lower than our height. I think it was about 7-8 yards (yards back then!) away from the start line. The object was to make it under the paper without ripping it. You could only do that by not popping up out of the blocks. I'm real fuzzy on how far away the crepe paper was and how low, but those dimensions I just gave may be reasonable. And don't use anything stronger than crepe paper!

Top Top
  Profile WWW