masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:57 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I agree! This is a great thread. Finish Strong you gotta keep it going man and keep us posted. This thread can be like your own blog. The efforts of you old guys keeps young guys like me motivated!!!!

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:32 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Finish Strong,

I see that you moved to Durham, NC recently. I live in Apex, NC and am a member of the Carolina Godiva Track Club that is based in Durham. If you have not already done so you should check out the Carolina Godiva Track Club web page (www.carolinagodiva.org). The club has weekly runs during the winter and a summer track series. The Club has some very good milers that you could talk to/train with.

I do NOT consider myself to be a great miler, although I am getting better. I am an M40 multi-eventer who competes in the outdoor pentathlon, which includes the 1500m. My 1500 PR is 5:09 and my mile PR is 5:32, both run last season. Last year is the first year I really "focused" on the mile distance (I put that in quotes because, of course, I was focusing on the other 4 events too!). This year I am hoping to take my mile training up a notch and drop my time to around 5:10. But we'll see.

I find that the Godiva summer track series is a perfect training tool and way to test yourself against real competiion, but in a friendly environment. During the track series they have a short night and a long night. On the short night they run the 1500 and on the long night they run the mile.

Chris

Top Top

Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:20 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Has anyone used this online training pace calculator?

McMillan's Running Calculator

Looks pretty simple, just input your current best time for various distances, and it comes up with the pace you should be running different workouts.
Kind of based on the training that Coach Jack Daniels talks about in his book "Daniels’ Running Formula".

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:57 am

Senior Masters Athlete

I ran my first race in a looooong time on Saturday. Wearing spikes for the first time in over 30 years , I took my choppy , stride through 4K in 15:43 over rolling turf in Derwood , Md.
I pondered , briefly , entering the Masters 8K National Championship , but really wanted to watch and cheer. I also knew that I would be way over my head. Our race was the first of 7 , and the 9 a.m. start saw the thermometer at 28 degrees. The footing was true , but unyielding. With each successive race , the rapid warming trend changed the course texture , and sections of it were treacherous by the time the open races were run in the early afternoon.
I made a series of bad time management decisions in the morning that had me arrive at the site just before the race. I laced up my shoes , walked to the line , and the gun went off. I usually take about 45 minutes to warm-up - an hour if I can - and the complete lack of preparation is probably why my calves are crying two days later. I survived - and had a blast.
Watching the other races was the highlight for me. The individual performances were amazing. German F made a move in the junior race that left the spectators in awe. The team concept was great to see too. I'm still a borderline , clydesdale , but see good things ahead. I was around a lot of gazelles on Saturday.....maybe some of that grace and speed will rub off.
I hope you all are running well , and enjoying every step. I just noticed that this thread is over two years old.
Do something special this Thursday to honor Abraham Lincoln. He would have been 200.

Top Top

Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:59 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Well done mate! 8)

Top Top

Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:33 am

Senior Masters Athlete

I know , I know.....it's been forever between posts.

I went from calf...to quad...to groin...injuries , and I'm finally convinced that cross-training is one of the solutions. During my days of discouragement , I ate too much for comfort and found myself in the low 190's when I finally got on the scale a few weeks back.

I took my first spinning class this morning , and feel [exhausted :) ] that it's going to help me burn some serious calories. I haven't sweat like that in ages. It left me light-headed and spent , but I plan on at least two sessions a week. I could be wrong , but I think it can only help my running. Any other spinners here ?

At 5'11'' , I know that my body will only hold up for the speed workouts I'll need to do , if I weigh 165 - or less. My PR's were all set in high school and freshman year of college when I weighed in the mid 140's.

Happy trails , everyone. The scale read 183 this morning.

Top Top

Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:08 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

Hi David,

Funny you should mention it, my goal is to run sub 5 as well. However, I have 10 years on you. I just ran a 5:04. There are some great opportunities here for track. The PVTC meets in Falls Church are great. There are usually 5 guys under 5 and a few under 4:50. If you don't have success over in MD, come on over.

I have been doing it on low mileage and decent interval work. I would like to get some faster stuff in as well if you ever have an interest let me know.

Gary R.

Top Top

Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:00 am

Senior Masters Athlete

You don't fully appreciate what you have until it's taken away.

I ran for the first time this morning after a month off , due to a hamstring tear while playing softball. I ran on level grass and didn't feel even a hint of tightness. I am soooo thankful to be able to jog again.

I've done quite a bit of cycling and core work during the down time , and plan on keeping resistance training as part of the equation for staying healthy.

I think I may give my softball glove away , because running is far more important to me.

If my recovery continues without major roadblocks , I hope to be in Lexington in December for X-country nationals. My sub-5 may have to wait for another season.

I am thrilled to be back on the trails though !

Top Top

Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:33 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

I'm not sure how much closer I am to my goal , but I have a fresh set of running venues to enjoy along the way.
I just moved back to my hometown. I've since gotten permission to run on the local undulating turf course at the middle school - the track at the high school - and the fairways at the local golf course - provided I'm through by 7:30 a.m. I love the @ 1/2 mile loop on the grass at the middle school ; it's where I trained in my youth.
This is a rural area , and I'm looking forward to scouting out the various running venues. I think I have all I need to get stronger and faster. My hamstring is healed , but I don't want to get sidelined again.
I'm bullish on 2010 , and remain committed to getting to the finals of some event in 2011 in Sacramento.
As much as I would love that to be 800M , the 8k X-Country could be great fun. Technically , you make the " finals " just by starting the race. :)

Happy trails , all.

Top Top

Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:53 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Good luck to you FS, keep it going!

Top Top

Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:46 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Just registered and read this entire thread. Good stuff. I'll think about the ideas in the thread and maybe how to incorporate some if it into my training. Also, naturally, open to suggestions.

I'd like to get my mile time down (not sure sub 5 is even realistic for me). I'm 48 (49 in June) and have never run any track until this past summer where I ran a All Comers series, various events. I had a blast and will run the winter series as well.
I've been running for the past 15 years as a twice a year marathoner in the 3:30 range. The past 3 years I decided to get "serious" and start training and have averaged 60 mpw in that time. Marathon times have come down (last three were sub-3 with 2:55 PR), 5 and 10K times have come down (18:19 and 38:24 PRs) and I'm loving racing. Here's what I did at last summers AC meet:

400 - 70.7 sec (raced once)
800 - 2:31 (raced once)
Mile - (5:43, 5:38, 5:37, 5:37)
1500 - 5:06 (raced once, this was the last meet of the series)

That 400 was an eye-opener! Went out way too fast and the last 50m I thought I was going to pass out - never before experienced that feeling in a race. I have not done any track workouts, just my normal easy running and once a week threshold-type workouts (3-6X1600m @ 6:25 with 400m jog). Any of you guys think I have a shot at sub5 with some real speed training?
First meet of the winter is this Saturday and I will be running the 400 only as Sunday I have an important 10mile road race. I know a sub 5 is not going to happen this winter but possibly approach that time at the summer series?

Top Top

Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:52 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Campisi - Welcome!

It looks like you have a lot of endurance and speed.
You should be able to get that time near 5 minutes or under during this summer. I would recommend that you cut back on the mileage during the summer racing season, and concentrate on speed. Repeat 200's, 400's 600's, 800's and 1,000's.
Make sure that you pick up the pace on the third lap of the mile, that will help you maintain the overall pace for the race.

Old Man PR's (40 - 49 --- 800 - 2:05 / 1500 - 4:28 ) (50 - 54 --- 800 - 2:18 / 5000 - 18:23 / 10K 38:45 / 1/2 Marathon 1:29 / Marathon 3:23)

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:36 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Campisi wrote:
Any of you guys think I have a shot at sub5 with some real speed training?

Yep!

Top Top

Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:31 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Just thought I'd check in with a brief status update. I'm running healthy , but am back to base building. I still believe I'll get there this year , but a series of injuries have frustrated my efforts somewhat.
I avoided the scale for a long time and adopted some bad dietary habits. I stepped on the scale on January 1st and was shocked , but no longer surprised by my slower pace. Physics 101 explains why I was also more injury-prone. I'm making progress now , and am more careful about how I eat. I got a 12 mile long run in last week and felt fine doing it.

If anyone has tried any approach to weight-loss that has worked well for you , I'd love to hear from you. I've always bought into the 3500 calories = a pound...create a 500 calorie deficit a day and lose a pound a week. Others have said eating 5 small, well-balanced meals a day totaling 1500 - 1800 calories is the way to go.
I'm getting to the gym consistently and making sure to incorporate resistance training.

Happy trails , everyone !

Top Top

Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:27 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Weight control is a huge concern for me as well.

Three years ago I weighed 185 pounds (I'm 5'9") and brought that down to 156 through sheer, brute force: a) running lots (averaging 60mile weeks for those three years) and getting in a second workout in the evening even if it meant just jogging along at 9min pace or going to the gym and hitting the elliptical. The 2nd workout that I do is strictly for weight control - it keeps me from thinking about food and gets my metabolism 'up' for the evening. b) smaller dinner portions. I didn't change the foods that I ate just the quantity, in fact, I was still a poor snacker with lots of candy, ice cream, potato chips etc. I do eat lots of vegetables and fish though. I usually ate a small breakfast and lunch and then a decent, though not huge, dinner.

I've had another weight breakthrough from this January to get it down to 151 pounds. I did this from the start of this year by cutting WAY down on my intake of crap snacks. Very little if any soft drinks, candy, ice cream etc.

I know none of the above is 'technical' or a weight loss plan but damm if just running more and eating less didn't work for me! Took three years but at 48 I am the leanest I can ever remember being in my whole life.

As far as my progress towards a sub 5minute mile that won't happen till this summer if at all. I did do a 400m last week at our local All Comers meet in 68 seconds (3rd from last :oops:) which is a big improvement from my last one at 70.7 seconds.

Top Top